Matrixed/CD-4 Vinyl Reissues?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hi, I've noticed that there is a whole section on CD's that retain the matrixed quad mixes. My question is are there vinyl reissues which retain the matrixed quad? Are there any CD-4 repressings?

Lets try to list them all here if they exist. Please specify what sort of matrix is used or if it is CD-4(if applicable).

Thanks!

CD-4 repressings? Talk about very few and far between...in fact, as I remember, only a handful of CD-4 albums had more than one label variant. Big sellers like ALOHA FROM HAWAII and a few other RCA's may have two labels (I know one Mancini with the original an orange label, the later one black), and THE BEST OF THE DOORS, in print until the late '80s, probably has the most label variations. But as for repressings, I honestly don't know of any. CD-4 masters are apparently not likely to be used for reissues the way, say, someone might accidentally pull an SQ quad master for a CD master.

Logically, however, any album that was mastered for quad only--like the Angel SQ's and Command or Turnabout QS's--would be decodable no matter at what later time they were reissued (although I can't imagine Turnabout classical quads being reissued in any form, but what do I know?)

ED :)

Yeah, I had figured there were no/very few CD-4 reissues. I figured I would cover all the bases though for the thread in case there happened to be some. I would be surprised if SQ/QS/etc. mixes never made it to vinyl in modern times though.

I'm aware of one matrix possibilty. A group called Heaven & Earth, an album called Refuge, originally from 1973 on Ovation.

From what I found online, the original Ovation release was indeed quadraphonic, and Mark Anderson's discography backs
that up. The reissue I saw was on the Lion Productions label, catalog number LP-114. According to discogs.com, there have
been a few reissues, on both vinyl and CD. Mark's discography also states this was a quad-only release. So, unless
remastered, all copies would likely be matrix encoded.

I saw the reissue of this in a local record shop sometime in 2013. I'd never heard of them, but I noticed the Sansui QS logo
on the cover. The price was too high for me for an unknown band that may or may not be the original matrix mix, so I had
to look into it further. By then, it had sold. The reissue I saw only has 750 vinyl copies too...

Logically, however, any album that was mastered for quad only--like the Angel SQ's and Command or Turnabout QS's--would be decodable no matter at what later time they were reissued (although I can't imagine Turnabout classical quads being reissued in any form, but what do I know?)

Yes, several of the Vox/Turnabout Classical 4 Channel Albums reappeared as Multichannel SACDs from Mobile Fidelity in their "Surround Series" SACDs. Quite good and from the original 4 Channel Discrete Quad Master Tapes !

Well, that is good to know..maybe there is hope for Bonnie Koloc reissues, then? Certainly more obscure acts have gotten the treatment, and she did make the charts a few times.

Well, that is good to know..maybe there is hope for Bonnie Koloc reissues, then? Certainly more obscure acts have gotten the treatment, and she did make the charts a few times.

If you see them, grab them. Mobile Fidelity and their outside mastering engineer (Paul Stubblebine) really did an excellent job on the transfers from Analog 4 Channel Quad Master Tape to Multichannel SACD with these.

Q8, can you tell me where there is a whole section of CD's that retain the matrixed quad mixes. I'd love to see a list. Thanks.

Back