May '24 "mind blowing" box guessing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robkyle

Update edit: I have been looking and looking for the exact thread(s) that ForagingRhino talked about these and I can't find them. I see the socks quote that others have referred to. But I may be remembering what he said about it wrong.

With the May individual Quadio releases almost complete confirmed, it's time to speculate on what may be the contents of the forthcoming box set. For me, it's not mind blowing unless it contains some title that have never been released before in any format, plus it has to be several titles, cause I really think it's not a box set unless there are three titles or more. Of the six confirmed unreleased masters in the vault, only two artists have 3 or more titles.

Carly Simon leads the pack with 5 titles, and there was always the rumored Another Passenger mix that has never been confirmed. It's my first choice, but I don't know if I think anyone would find it mind blowing, since it's been predicted a lot and talked about more.

James Taylor has two quads and a third has been confirmed to be in the vault 'collecting dust' But there is the absence of Sweet Baby James and Mud Slide. So unless those pop up, again mind isn't blown with only 3 titles.

Joni Mitchell has two quads and it's also been confirmed that Miles Of Aisles it in the vault. If the rumored Blue really exists, that would be a mind blowing collection for sure, cause Blue gets a lot of talk.

I think Eagles continues to be a no go for numerous reasons.

So the last thing I can think of which would really blow my mind would be a Carly Simon & James Taylor Quadio Boxed. 9 albums, 2 previously unreleased. Might seem like a bad joke, but it would certainly blow my mind and stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
I really do think it has to be Joni Mitchell with the 4 Atmos mixes of “The Asylum Years” that’s up on streaming, the two quads, unreleased Miles Of Aisles, and potentially something else (perhaps the recent Newport live album that also has an Atmos mix). Mixers Ken Caillat & Claus Trelby alluded to a release In this IAA interview, the quads are in Rhino’s hands, the Atmos mixes are approved by Joni… it all points to that imo.

I really do think it has to be Joni Mitchell with the 4 Atmos mixes of “The Asylum Years” that’s up on streaming, the two quads, unreleased Miles Of Aisles, and potentially something else (perhaps the recent Newport live album that also has an Atmos mix). Mixers Ken Caillat & Claus Trelby alluded to a release In this IAA interview, the quads are in Rhino’s hands, the Atmos mixes are approved by Joni… it all points to that imo.
While I would love it, unless it's not a true quadio box set coming out, that is all the more reason why it won't be Joni Mitchell. The emphasis would be on selling Atoms mixes, not quad mixes. I suppose it's possible, given that Rhino dropped the 4 Atmos titles last week that they would put out a Atoms boxed set of her, but I was under the impression the box coming out would be quad.

I'd be real happy with a Joni set. Instant buy. Maybe it's just my opinion but I don't see a Carly Simon box set being a big seller. Solid meh, no buy from me. Of course, if Rhino truly wants to blow minds, it'll be some under-wraps project that they're being VERY quiet about until the reveal. Or they could just reissue the Chicago box and watch all of us who missed out before crash their website with orders! 😏

Or...since WMG/Rhino has acquired the rights to several musical acts since the WEA quad era, maybe the Quadio box set will be the quad mixes from them (perhaps combining the group albums and solo albums from one or more group members).

Kirk Bayne

Or...since WMG/Rhino has acquired the rights to several musical acts since the WEA quad era, maybe the Quadio box set will be the quad mixes from them (perhaps combining the group albums and solo albums from one or more group members).

Kirk Bayne
That actually is kind a very interesting concept. I was half kidding/serious with the Carly Simon/James Taylor line there. But thinking more about it, it's not much different from them having the discounted bundles of 4 for the price of 3 grouping. Or are you thinking of both quad and stereo albums in a box set?

Quad mixes only (I'm happy to have the restored stereo mixes included also, I like to hear how the stereo mix sounds in fake surround sound).

edit: could be 5.1 and Atmos mixes too.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
If it's mind blowing, I imagine it will have quad mixes as well as 5.1 and/or Atmos mixes, at the very least.
I'm guessing that if it's part of the "Quadio" series, it will not be Atmos. Rhino recently released other Atmos stuff that doesnt fall into the category.

I'd bet that the "blow your mind" comment means either
1) it will contain a quad that's been never released, collecting dust in the vault or
2) will be something that wasn't originally on the WEA labels that Rhino now has rights to....sorta like what happened with the single release of War.

I'm guessing that if it's part of the "Quadio" series, it will not be Atmos. Rhino recently released other Atmos stuff that doesnt fall into the category.

1) it will contain a quad that's been never released, collecting dust in the vault or
2) will be something that wasn't originally on the WEA labels that Rhino now has rights to....sorta like what happened with the single release of War.
Yeah, that actually may be correct.

Same with Hot Tuna and Jefferson Starship.

Back