"METROTEC STEREO-4 FOUR CHANNEL/STEREO DECODER" PLEASE HELP ME CONNECT IT!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebyluck

HELP ME!
I have a Metrotec Stereo-4 FOUR CHANNEL/STEREO DECODER Box.
I had it hooked up for awhile in the 1970's but disconnected it
for some reason or another awhile after that.
I desperately need somebody/anybody to please help me to hook it up again.
I have no idea at all how to connect it.
For the Metrotec decoded Quad
I will be using a Sherwood RX-5502 receiver for the front speakers,
and a ROTEL RA-211 amplifier for the rear speakers.
Should you need any further info,
please do not hesitate to contact me.
download.jpg

The unit that you show is an EV-4 decoder only. It contains no logic separation enhancement circuits. It will do an OK job of stereo enhancement. I don't understand Kals comment about the formats being no longer extant, there is a lot of vintage material available (SQ, EV-4 and QS) plus regular stereo to decode!

Hookup should be easy. One set of jacks will be marked "stereo input" or "from tape output". The front output will be marked "front output" or "to tape input". The back outputs will be marked back or rear outputs, or "to back amp". A picture of the back of the unit would be helpful.

The first thing that I would do is give it a good wipedown, looks like it came from a very smokey environment!

Last edited by a moderator:
The unit that you show is an EV-4 decoder only. The unit contains no logic separation enhancement circuits. It will do an OK job of stereo enhancement. I don't understand Kals comment about the formats being no longer extant, there is a lot of vintage material available (SQ, EV-4 and QS) plus regular stereo to decode!

Hookup should be easy. One set of jacks will be marked "stereo input" or "from tape output". The front output will be marked "front output" or "to tape input". The back outputs will be marked back or rear outputs, or "to back amp". A picture of the back of the unit would be helpful.

The first thing that I would do is give it a good wipedown, looks like it came from a very smokey environment!
Thank you so much for the information "par4ken".
Looking at that back panel still scares me though. LOL.
I have taken some pics of the back panel and am posting them here.
You have given me a little courage to take on this bad boy.
It sounded great years ago when I had it hooked up.
Just hoping I can hook it up again.
Thanks again. :)

Attachments

• 20230403_123758.jpg
    20230403_123758.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230403_123803.jpg
    20230403_123803.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230403_123810.jpg
    20230403_123810.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for the information "par4ken".
Looking at that back panel still scares me though. LOL.
I have taken some pics of the back panel and am posting them here.
You have given me a little courage to take on this bad boy.
It sounded great years ago when I had it hooked up.
Just hoping I can hook it up again.
Thanks again. :)
"Rcvr Tape Out" connects to the stereo (tape) output of your receiver (that is the input to the decoder). "Rcvr Tape In" goes back into your receiver, tape input (that is the front channel decoder output). "Rear channel amp" goes to the input on your back channel amplifier (Back channel output).

"Rcvr Tape Out" connects to the stereo (tape) output of your receiver (that is the input to the decoder). "Rcvr Tape In" goes back into your receiver, tape input (that is the front channel decoder output). "Rear channel amp" goes to the input on your back channel amplifier (Back channel output).

Hello once again "par4ken".
Like Simon & Garfunkel, I am hearing the sounds of silence from my rear amp and the decoder I just put in.
I could swear I have everything plugged in correctly. I even moved things around a bit just to see if there was any change.....there wasn't. The front receiver sounds just fine though.
If you want me to I can type up in detail where everything was plugged in and where. Maybe you can see where I went wrong. Hell, I even checked the fuses!!!
Let me know my friend.
Mike (freebyluck)

Attachments

• DECODER01.jpg
    DECODER01.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • AMP01.jpg
    AMP01.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Hard to see from the picture. Yes let me know where everything is plugged in. Also the position of the switches on the decoder and the amplifiers.

Back