Mobile Fidelity - the digital step in MFSL vinyl debacle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it's "*amateur," by the way.
Sorry, Spellcheck failed me.

I would say the same about you! You people are perpetuating the myth, the conspiracy theory; one that has no basis in fact! I've repeated over and over and over again, there is absolutely no difference in checking the DR of a "clean" vinyl" rip compared to a CD! What about those CD's that are made from vinyl in the first place? Many of them are brickwalled as part of the mastering process. Is the low DR value of those not valid because of the original source?

The only problem, that I think you are hung up on is that one rip might have a slightly higher value than another, so you shouldn't use it? It is all relative and that does not diminish the value of it! We are not overly concerned about the absolute value, just that we are in the ballpark! The original vinyl release is what to shoot for (or be close to) DR wise. Early CD releases are very close in DR to my vinyl rips, while newer releases score far, far lower. I know that we are away off topic but I seldom reply to the thread title but just to the other posters.

Last edited:
Sorry, Spellcheck failed me.

I would say the same about you! You people are perpetuating the myth, the conspiracy theory; one that has no basis in fact! I've repeated over and over and over again, there is absolutely no difference in checking the DR of a "clean" vinyl" rip compared to a CD! What about those CD's that are made from vinyl in the first place? Many of them are brickwalled as part of the mastering process. Is the low DR value of those not valid because of the original source?

The only problem, that I think you are hung up on is that one rip might have a slightly higher value than another, so you shouldn't use it? It is all relative and that does not diminish the value of it! We are not overly concerned about the absolute value, just that we are in the ballpark! The original vinyl release is what to shoot for (or be close to) DR wise. Early CD releases are very close in DR to my vinyl rips, while newer releases score far, far lower. I know that we are away off topic but I seldom reply to the thread title but just to the other posters.
I’ve never seen a bigger lost cause on this site or even on SHTV for that matter on this topic, no matter who says something you will “argue with anyone”; you’re like a flat earther.

Not only that but you seem to think only the posts you’ve made are relevant to the thread, which you must think to have ignored all the other posts which ARE on the topic of whether or not vinyl gets a unique mastering where mainstream pop releases are concerned. Plenty of posts have been made on that topic by some of the other learned members of the forum.

Not one person here is agreeing with you. Not one mastering engineer agrees with you. But still you persist.

Feel free to order a copy of any of the records mentioned and when you cannot get DR5-7 perhaps you’ll come back and consider the reality that you are wrong.

Getting back on topic, wasn't the issue was that Mofi was stating or heavily implying that their vinyl releases never went through a digital step?

I do think there's also an issue of Mofi currently implying things that aren't true through the "ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING" stamp on the top, that the masters are necessarily sourced from the original mixes (certainly not the case for Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, for one).

Getting back on topic, wasn't the issue was that Mofi was stating or heavily implying that their vinyl releases never went through a digital step?
Which all came to the fore with their issue of Michael Jackson's Thriller in 2022 - when the huge number of SACDs and vinyl copies pressed for this "Limited Edition", meant that Mobile Fidelity absolutely had to have made a digital master! And like all of Mobile Fidelity's masters, the dynamic range is considerably higher on their edition of Thriller, compared to other most other anniversary digital (CD) issues, after the turn of the century. Doesn't sound bad either, just flat, like all of their masters. If you want Thriller to sound disco-punchy, then you have to increase the bass on the subwoofers. No biggie.

Had some 10-year old children, with considerably better hearing than I have, staying over last month. I played them the opening track of all three copies of the CD of Michael Jackson's Bad that I have: the original 1987, the 2001 and the 2014 reissues. They didn't see which versions I was putting on. The reissues are MUCH louder and harsher to listen to at the same amplifier settings and they had no trouble differentiating between the different masters. The children always listen to music via YouTube on their mobile phones and they were quite astonished at hearing music they were familiar with, on audiophile equipment. They subsequently all wanted to inherit my music collection when I die :D

Back