Moody Blues Quad listening party

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsyd

FYI, if any of you happen to live near eastern Iowa, there is a backyard quad listening party on Saturday planned.

A friend of mine is going to spin all the Moody Blues reels on his Sony reel. Rain date is Sunday, which if there is no rain will become a random quad listening party.

If this sounds like something you could attend, email me for details.

Regards,
Jay Parson

Sorry, forgot my email is private

Email here:

oldsyd at mchsi d o t com

(munged to prevent spam)

Just an update on how the party went here. First the gear:

4 Ohm F series speakers
2 Kenwood 600 Watt Stereo Power Amplifiers
1 Marantz 4140 Quad Preamp
1 Sony Quadradial Reel
1 JVC Quad 8-Track PB
1 Toshiba DVD player
1 Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX receiver

I missed the first night, but from what I heard everything went well with playback of all of the Moody Blues quad reels. One of the Ohm speakers was acting up, but the next day it was working fine. A little sprinkle of rain might have made moisture creep in.

On Sunday, I showed up and brought the DVD player and my Pioneer decoder to demo some "new quad". I was very excited to be able to hear it in an open enviroment with some better quality speakers than what I had.

First was DSOTM on Quad 8, then we listened to Atom Heart Mother on Quad 8. Both good, both good seperation, but still alot of hiss and muddiness due to the format. Then for the last Floyd WYWH, I convinced our host to give Tab's Fostex Q8 a spin on the DVD:D TS setup.

Everyone in attendance was floored at the quality of the Fostex DTS version of WYWH, even garnering a round of applause from those in attendance. After that, we listened to the Worst of Jefferson Airplane on reel, then a variety of tracks from new DTS conversions such as Popcorn Hot Butter, Smoke on the Water, Santana's Black Magic Woman, Alan Parsons Apollo, The Grateful Dead DVD-Audio discs and a stereo:D TS remix of ELO's First Light which also floored those in attendance because the seperation on DTS was so clear compared to the original releases. The only problem we had was trying to listen to the Doors L.A. Woman when I realized we had no center channel. Oops...Jim Morrison sounded like he was singing in the bottom of a well. After some Karaoke and trying to hook up a center channel, it was abandoned, and the sampling continued. I left around 10pm with my quad goodies because I had to wake up early the next day.

Good fun was had by all even though I was the "youngster" at 31. Most were from the flower power age, and all this was just incredible to hear reborn again. Some even said that hearing these tracks in Quad made the songs just stick in your brain deeper and deeper.

Thanks to Tab and other posters on the newsgroup and the people who have websites promoting quad!!!

I do a quad yard party every year for my local friends. Tab almost made it to one of them, when he came to Georgia for a visit. It's a great way to listen to quad, and it always amazes people. I just put everything on quad reels and let'er rip. It's like listening to quad radio with no DJ. Great fun.

The Quadfather

Sounds like it was great fun! The closest thing to a quad party I ever have is one or two friends over for a listening session. That's the most that my listening space can comfortably accomodate, and I sure ain't gonna drag all my equipment out into the yard... would be fun though, if my neighbors didn't start makin' a fuss!

My listening area is rather small. A quad party gives me a chance to spread the speakers out. It changes the whole experience. I don't drag out all my gear though. I just run lampcord from inside to the speakers. For outdoors I just use some of those fuzzy speakers that young folks use in their pickup trucks and cars. They have handles on them and are perfect for the job.

The Quadfather

Back