Moving to All Digital Files: Can Someone Post a How-To?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also a program named "SACDExtractGUI" which will rip both the ISO and dsf either stereo or multi-channel simultaneously with meta data included.

That sounds like a time-saver, getting the ISO, stereo and MC files at one time. I've been doing the SACDs as ISO, then individual passes for stereo and multi rips. Of course, I don't have as many SACD to do. Using an Oppo 103.

Also a program named "SACDExtractGUI" which will rip both the ISO and dsf either stereo or multi-channel simultaneously with meta data included.
I prefer to do it in steps for a couple of reasons.

First, I do not want to rip any stereo tracks if there is a multichannel track available but I want to save the multichannel DSF and ISO in case I change my mind or there arises another reason to extract tracks from the ISO.
Second, I can keep my 103 and 105 busy ripping to ISO while doing the DSF extractions on my PC at the same time. This sharing of tasks makes for time efficiency.

I like having the ability to multitask with all systems go. I ripped my massive CD collection to FLAC using three computers, and three mice, keyboards, and monitors as well. I even had a scanner going for when I hit a title that no artwork, or it didn't show up in dBpoweramp, so I could drop that pic into the meta quickly on the fly. I got through a zillion CDs and CD-Rs like in months rather than years of work. Well it was a couple of years actually. And I still have the remaining bootlegs to do, and those are or at least were missing meta and pix when I attempted to do them 5 years ago. If no metadata showed up at all, I skipped that (bootleg concert) disc and moved into the next one, figuring that if I waited a year or two - someone would drop in the metadata for that title - thus saving me a lot of typing.

Last edited:
I like having the ability to multitask with all systems go. I ripped my massive CD collection to FLAC using three computers and three, mice, keyboards, and monitors as well.
I chipped in with 2 friends and bought a Nimbie USB ripper compatible with dBpoweramp. I don't think I would have had the patience to do them individually.

I chipped in with 2 friends and bought a Nimbie USB ripper compatible with dBpoweramp. I don't think I would have had the patience to do them individually.
Yes it takes someone with a certain disposition and time on their hands. But there are just too many DIFFRENT ways in which artist's tags come up in the databases that must be corrected for consistency - for me to want to do it automatically. I had to correct 85% of the album artist field tags.

Unless you went back with a tagging editor program afterwards, your tags must be a mess. Still searchable, still playable, but a real mess.

Plus each computer that I used had 2 or 3 drives in it for reading - and when I got a read error on a track or two (happened fairly often), I would use one of the other read drives to see if I could get a 100% accurate rip on the track this way (very often worked out).

Not sure how you got around these two issues. But I got my errors to a bare minimum- and got correct art for everything. Sometimes I had the import CD, yet the displayed art was the US one. I went in and gave it the true import cover - it felt right. But some would say it's just a file - get over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK
Unless you went back with a tagging editor program afterwards, your tags must be a mess. Still searchable, still playable, but a real mess.
I did and still do.

Plus each computer that I used had 2 or 3 drives in it for reading - and when I got a read error on a track or two (fairly often), I would used other read drive to see if I could get a 100% accurate rip on the track this way (very often).
Sure. I popped in 100 discs and let it rip! Typically, around 90 went through fine while I ignored it. Upon return, I put the rejects (which Nimbie sorts and dBpoweramp flags) back in the hopper for a 2nd trip and most will work. Those that do not get special handling in one of my other computer drives until a satisfactory rip. So, it ain't perfect but it has a huge impact on the task.

But some would say it's just a file - get over it.
Sure but I find metadata curation an ongoing process........................

I just finished successfully ripping all my DVD-Audio discs using DVD AE on my Mac. It worked beautifully for me. Now I find myself wanting to do the same with my SACDs (I only have maybe 8 of them to rip). Is there really still no way to do this without an Oppo or some other external disc player? I'd love to wind up with multichannel FLACs I can play on my Sony 4K player off a thumb drive.

I just finished successfully ripping all my DVD-Audio discs using DVD AE on my Mac. It worked beautifully for me. Now I find myself wanting to do the same with my SACDs (I only have maybe 8 of them to rip). Is there really still no way to do this without an Oppo or some other external disc player? I'd love to wind up with multichannel FLACs I can play on my Sony 4K player off a thumb drive.
1. Find a friend with one of the suitable players.
2. Find a friend who has already ripped those 8 discs.
3. Find an SACD ripping service. There are a few.

4. Get a sacd-ripping enabled player while you can.

He was asking for alternatives to that in view of having only 8 SACDs.

I have read the original post.... he start now with only 8 sacd, then he get more but won't find anymore a ripping player. Bummer!

And what are the prices of those players?
I paid $170 for a new Pioneer elite BDP-80 FD a little over a year ago. Sadly I can no longer find them for sale. Used units do show up on Ebay now and then.

At the same time I purchased the Pioneer, used Oppo 103s we going for $350-$400

Billy Joel - The Stranger
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Eagles - Hotel California
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Billy Joel - The Stranger
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Eagles - Hotel California
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I have all of those ripped except for the Depeche Mode, Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac titles. The Eagles and Mac were DVDA titles for me.

What format are you looking to have? DFF, DSF, Flac?

Back