Moving to All Digital Files: Can Someone Post a How-To?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a weird issue with Sting Brand New Day. It's the only DVD Audio disc that shows in DVD-A Extractor with multiple 5.1 hi res audio items, both are the same "chapters", aka the actual tracks of the album. When I try to rip them, it completes instantly and I have empty files. Anyone else have this issue? All my other discs work fine.

Plus each computer that I used had 2 or 3 drives in it for reading - and when I got a read error on a track or two (happened fairly often), I would use one of the other read drives to see if I could get a 100% accurate rip on the track this way (very often worked out).

+1

OCD people unite (in a very orderly fashion)!

I'm having a weird issue with Sting Brand New Day. It's the only DVD Audio disc that shows in DVD-A Extractor with multiple 5.1 hi res audio items, both are the same "chapters", aka the actual tracks of the album. When I try to rip them, it completes instantly and I have empty files. Anyone else have this issue? All my other discs work fine.

I had the same issues with Brand New Day, drove me CRAZY :eek:, I tried many different ripping programs. I think there may be some members here that somehow got it to work, but I sure don't know how. What I ended up doing is buying an inexpensive DTS version on ebay and was able to rip that one. But I think there's an extra song on the DVD-A that you won't get on the dts version.

Maybe someone here will show mercy and post in great detail how they did it!

Plus the DTS version I assume was lower resolution? Good to know I’m not insane. This disc must have some crazy copy protection or something.

For those interested in using Sony Blu ray players for ripping SACD's I thought it would be useful to create a new thread.
Pupster and myself have had recent success using these relatively cheap machines.
It will take a little while to put together, while I try and compile a step by step process.

While you're compile the process, it would be VERY useful to the ones reading to post the EXACT models of Sony players that can do sacd ripping.

I prefer to do it in steps for a couple of reasons.

First, I do not want to rip any stereo tracks if there is a multichannel track available but I want to save the multichannel DSF and ISO in case I change my mind or there arises another reason to extract tracks from the ISO.
Second, I can keep my 103 and 105 busy ripping to ISO while doing the DSF extractions on my PC at the same time. This sharing of tasks makes for time efficiency.

Hello Kal, I could really use some help on an issue I'm having with my tags or Oppo 205. I've been ripping SACDs to dsf (multi-channel).
They play great on my Oppo, and I get the cover art to show up and the tags on the individual songs; but on the menus, the Oppo does not recognize any of the songs under Albums, Artist or Genre, they all just say Unknown. Any idea how I can get the Oppo to group these songs? I play these through a Samsung 2TB SSD in the front USB. I've also been using Mp3tag.
Thanks for any advice on this:)

Hello Kal, I could really use some help on an issue I'm having with my tags or Oppo 205. I've been ripping SACDs to dsf (multi-channel).
They play great on my Oppo, and I get the cover art to show up and the tags on the individual songs; but on the menus, the Oppo does not recognize any of the songs under Albums, Artist or Genre, they all just say Unknown. Any idea how I can get the Oppo to group these songs? I play these through a Samsung 2TB SSD in the front USB. I've also been using Mp3tag.
Thanks for any advice on this:)
I cannot help you. I gave up using any Oppo as a music player/streamer almost immediately after I tried each model in turn. Their player app is crude and clunky. Sorry.

OK, J-PUP.....I did some tests... lmao

So.....I took 4-5 titles from my archive and moved them to a external drive and plugged into front of my Oppo 203.

I purposely chose a mixture of scenarios.
  • A title where I correctly had Artist, Title and Genre correctly tagged.
  • A title where I had Artist, Title correctly tagged, but Genre was blank.
  • A title where I had Artist and Genre tagged correctly, but Title was blank.

Yeah, when you have hundreds and hundreds of rips......sometimes you don't get them tagged as well as you think you do.
As I surmised.......I had "lists" for all of the individual catagories (Artist, Title, Genre) when I had them tagged correctly. When I didn't, that catagory did not populate with my Oppo... (it said Unknown)

So, my suggestion is to go back and make sure you correctly tagged things. I would almost be certain that you didn't. :)

OK, J-PUP.....I did some tests... lmao

So.....I took 4-5 titles from my archive and moved them to a external drive and plugged into front of my Oppo 203.

I purposely chose a mixture of scenarios.
  • A title where I correctly had Artist, Title and Genre correctly tagged.
  • A title where I had Artist, Title correctly tagged, but Genre was blank.
  • A title where I had Artist and Genre tagged correctly, but Title was blank.

Yeah, when you have hundreds and hundreds of rips......sometimes you don't get them tagged as well as you think you do.
As I surmised.......I had "lists" for all of the individual catagories (Artist, Title, Genre) when I had them tagged correctly. When I didn't, that catagory did not populate with my Oppo... (it said Unknown)

So, my suggestion is to go back and make sure you correctly tagged things. I would almost be certain that you didn't. :)

Thanks for checking, but yes I've re-checked the tags all sorts of ways and they appear to be there. Did you try any dsf files, that's what I'm having trouble with?

I think I'll give Oppo's support line a call tomorrow and see what they think;)

Thanks for checking, but yes I've re-checked the tags all sorts of ways and they appear to be there. Did you try any dsf files, that's what I'm having trouble with?

I think I'll give Oppo's support line a call tomorrow and see what they think;)
OH! DSF huh? I don't have any DSF. Hmmmmm

Hey with this whole digital files thing (I'm doing 5.1 FLAC files) is there a way to not have the gap between songs that flow into one another? For most stuff, it's fine, but Pink Floyd or the Beatles Love it's just distracting to listen. Is there a way to combine tracks somehow? (Similar to the "Join CD Tracks" option in iTunes?)

Hey with this whole digital files thing (I'm doing 5.1 FLAC files) is there a way to not have the gap between songs that flow into one another? For most stuff, it's fine, but Pink Floyd or the Beatles Love it's just distracting to listen. Is there a way to combine tracks somehow? (Similar to the "Join CD Tracks" option in iTunes?)
Depends on your hardware.

Back