Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another classic quad with stereo bonus tracks:
Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix (Remastered) by Gil Evans

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 3.00.22 PM.png

Is Spinning Wheel on BST GH the truncated version or the full version (if one even exists)? I'm talking about the calliope bit at the end.
Just listened and answered my own question - it is the shorter version here, which matches the version previously available on the Audio Fidelity quad SACD of the Blood Sweat & Tears album.

The last two tracks on the BST GH album are lossless, but the rest are Dolby Audio. Nice finds!
It appears that neither Go Down Gamblin' nor Lucretia Mac Evil are available in Dolby Audio either. Which means that the ones on here that are in Dolby Audio are only the ones previously available on the quad SACDs of Child is the Father to Man and BST self-titled.

It appears that neither Go Down Gamblin' nor Lucretia Mac Evil are available in Dolby Audio either. Which means that the ones on here that are in Dolby Audio are only the ones previously available on the quad SACDs of Child is the Father to Man and BST self-titled.

This new Dolby Audio release isn't just a composite of surround tracks from the Child (5.1) and self-titled (4.0) AF SACDs - it's drawn from the 4-channel master of the Greatest Hits album, which actually had a separate quad LP/tape release in the '70s (CQ 31170). It's the only place you can hear songs from the third and fourth albums in surround, plus unique quad remixes of the hits from Child - "I Can't Quit Her" and "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" are different here than on Al Kooper's 5.1 remix.

For me, all tracks play in Dolby Audio except "So Long Dixie" and "More And More".

Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been following this thread with great interest and it's been exciting to watch the amount of great sounding mixes appear on Apple Music each week.

A while ago, I went through all the quad mix lists here on QQ and made a playlist of albums that I would like to hear on Apple Music. I check it most Fridays to see if anything has been updated and then remove anything into my library.

HTML:
<iframe allow="autoplay *; encrypted-media *; fullscreen *" frameborder="0" height="450" style="width:100%;max-width:660px;overflow:hidden;background:transparent;" sandbox="allow-forms allow-popups allow-same-origin allow-scripts allow-storage-access-by-user-activation allow-top-navigation-by-user-activation" src="https://embed.music.apple.com/gb/playlist/potential-quad/pl.u-b96RgCKMamZ0"></iframe>

I've only checked through the list today after seeing so many recent updates on this thread and I was pleased to see this addition.

HTML:
<iframe allow="autoplay *; encrypted-media *; fullscreen *" frameborder="0" height="450" style="width:100%;max-width:660px;overflow:hidden;background:transparent;" sandbox="allow-forms allow-popups allow-same-origin allow-scripts allow-storage-access-by-user-activation allow-top-navigation-by-user-activation" src="https://embed.music.apple.com/gb/album/its-been-a-long-time/1000013801"></iframe>

It seems these records are being updated at a real pace now. With Apple reporting that 50% of its users are listening in Spatial Audio, I can only hope that we'll see so much more to come.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to hearing Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Dave Mason, Janis Joplin and Santana. May this glorious surround era continue!

Back