My DIY Audio Scope so far (will update)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wurly, are the scopes going to be engraved with wording something like “Limited Edition?” Will they be numbered? I know that is a lot to ask considering the time and labor you have involved already. But it would make them even more special as they make their way out into the world. As in “I have one of only 10 made of these”..........just to elicit envy from others. Not that I would necessarily do that of course 🙂.
They are marked as such on the back panel and the SN# will be written by hand and range from 01/10 to 10/10 these markings are behind the plexiglass finish. Additional SN# are written on each pcbs. That way i can keep track of each unit features.
I choose to write them on the back for aesthetic reasons.

Almost there!
There was a mistake in the handle order so 4 units dont have them yet and also i didn't received the power switches square buttons. (a miscalculation on my part)
Hopefully Monday everything will tested and ready to ship!

In the mean time here's the family picture of the nine (almost finished) units!

Attachments

• IMG_E2152.jpg
    IMG_E2152.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
They look amazing! But it finally occurred to me that integrating it into my setup will call for a re-arrangement of my equipment and recordings - in order to access the I/O, I have to remove all the LP's to pull the cabinets forward! (My Involve SM2 is between the AVR and turntable.) Perhaps it will initially sit upon the Marantz and I'll rig up a small fan for heat dissipation.

audio.jpg

They look amazing! But it finally occurred to me that integrating it into my setup will call for a re-arrangement of my equipment and recordings - in order to access the I/O, I have to remove all the LP's to pull the cabinets forward! (My Involve SM2 is between the AVR and turntable.) Perhaps it will initially sit upon the Marantz and I'll rig up a small fan for heat dissipation.

View attachment 68335

Nice choice of gear & a clean set up. I'm a fan of (older) Infinity speakers myself. The Wurlyscope should look great on top of the Marantz.

I used to have an APT Holman pre-amp exactly like yours. A big factor in purchasing it was the mode/phase balance control, something very rare & useful. I'm wondering how often you use it and in what way with the SM v2? Or maybe the Marantz? Shifting it just a bit CCW should give an almost exact effect of the Sansui stereo synthesizer mode for great wrap around effect with the Involve unit. Tho I wouldn't recommend it anywhere but straight up for playing real quad material.

Thanks. I moved back to CT about a year ago to a house which needed several time-consuming projects (installing central AC, new flooring in 4 rooms, bathroom and laundry room remodels, new siding) so my setup was incomplete with the cabinetry pulled about 18 inches from the wall for nearly 9 months for access to the cabling. It was only partially setup for stereo until I could route speaker cables through walls for the rear channels (wall hung NHT Super Zero 2.1's).

Though this Marantz has a phono input, I use the APT almost exclusively for my LP's - some day I may hook up my Oppo and/o the Teac CD player to it as well. But honestly I never even thought about using the mode control as you suggest. Damn! Now I will have to listen to dozens and dozens of albums all over again! 😉

JCQS-440 Quadscope:
The instructions manual is ready!
This version is complete except for my contact info on the last page.
It will be available only for those who will own a unit.
Password to open the file: Wurly1
Enjoy!

Attachments

• JCQS-440 user manual V1 public.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Almost there!
There was a mistake in the handle order so 4 units dont have them yet and also i didn't received the power switches square buttons. (a miscalculation on my part)
Hopefully Monday everything will tested and ready to ship!

In the mean time here's the family picture of the nine (almost finished) units!

The Great Wall Of Wurly. Just beautiful.

JCQS-440 Quadscope:
The instructions manual is ready!
This version is complete except for my contact info on the last page.
It will be available only for those who will own a unit.
Password to open the file: Wurly1
Enjoy!

Wow!
A 23 page user manual & it looks totally professional. Me thinks you should do the Surround Master manual for Involve.

I'm very late to this thread,....do you have any for sale?

I'm very late to this thread,....do you have any for sale?
Thank you for your interest in my design.
Unfortunately all JCQS-440 are sold.
If the demand is there i might build another batch next winter.
Just check this thread from time to time to stay informed.

Regards
Jean

Regards
Jean

Oh well.. perhaps make a batch of JCQS-440ES Signature Mk II? ;-)

Regards
Jean

I wonder who the lucky buyers were besides me 🤔. I guess we will never know. Maybe some big shot celebrities or someone like Elon Musk? Maybe a famous musician like Sir Paul? I once sold something on Ebay to Mark from Devo. I am a big fan from way back but just kept quiet and didn’t go there.

I guess that some things are better left unknown. Keeps the mystery alive.

Back