My qrx 8001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

moeszizlak69

Just recently received my qrx 8001.

There are some issues that need to be sorted. I was hoping to describe the symptoms and hopefully someone can give me an idea on what to tell the 'techie', that i'll utilize, to fix the problems.

on tape 2 (4 channel) with outboard (phono) cd4 decoder (sansui QC 04) I get sound from all 4 channels, no matter which mode i.e hall surround QS SQ or CD4.

On phono CD4 I get sound thru the rear speakers, but not the front.
On phono Hall I get sound thru front speakers, but not the rear.

All other modes (surround QS SQ) only have a faint sound coming thru the front speakers, no sound out of rears.

The radio pulls in stations but only audible thru hall (front L+R) and thru CD4 (front left)

Aux input shows similar (only audible from hall mode in front L+R) but barely audible in other modes.

Considering that this does seem to be a rare item in Oz, I'd like to repair it, as i dont think i'll see another.

thank you
from jeff

p.s seeing these receivers in pictures did not prepare me for the reality of the unit, it's a bohemeth that makes my qx 949 look like a little toy radio. The quality of build is amazing everything seems to be built like it's a mack truck.

Just recently received my qrx 8001.

There are some issues that need to be sorted. I was hoping to describe the symptoms and hopefully someone can give me an idea on what to tell the 'techie', that i'll utilize, to fix the problems.

on tape 2 (4 channel) with outboard (phono) cd4 decoder (sansui QC 04) I get sound from all 4 channels, no matter which mode i.e hall surround QS SQ or CD4.

On phono CD4 I get sound thru the rear speakers, but not the front.
On phono Hall I get sound thru front speakers, but not the rear.

All other modes (surround QS SQ) only have a faint sound coming thru the front speakers, no sound out of rears.

The radio pulls in stations but only audible thru hall (front L+R) and thru CD4 (front left)

Aux input shows similar (only audible from hall mode in front L+R) but barely audible in other modes.

Considering that this does seem to be a rare item in Oz, I'd like to repair it, as i dont think i'll see another.

thank you
from jeff

p.s seeing these receivers in pictures did not prepare me for the reality of the unit, it's a bohemeth that makes my qx 949 look like a little toy radio. The quality of build is amazing everything seems to be built like it's a mack truck.

In Tape-2 4 channel mode the matrix decoder and synthesizer circuits are bypassed and the signal is directly passed to the preamp. So the 4 channel function switches have no effect. This indicates that the problems you are facing are related to the F-2634 Function Switch board which has a copper layer on both sides. There are several pass through joints on the board for connections between these two layers and these are famous to break over the years. There may also be hairline cracks around these joints. Unless you have some good experience in using a soldering iron you should lookout for a good technician who can fix and improve all these joints for you.

here is a no technical answer - leave it on - let it warm up - and see if it gets better - the solder joints and hairline cracks - as mentioned above - sometimes will make a connection once warm - i never turned mine off. i hate shipping hazards and i hate the costs of it - thats why i bought my machine..sight and unseen - from quadbob, and let him ship it to me just the once - AND THAT WAS ENOUGH .
willy

Thanks kansai,

That should help the techie in pinpointing the problem.

your right willy shipping is a headache. But i'm thankful that i now have a decent sansui that i can keep and repair till its perfect.

Back