Mystery 45. Is it a master? Is it a demo? Is it a bootleg? 60s Garage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I recently aquired a collection of 45s. Pretty beat up, but some great 50s and 60s rock and roll and soul.

One disc in the collection however, has left me perplexed.

It is a metal disc with a coating of black something that the grooves are cut?/stamped? in. Whatever it is, it is starting to crack and peel in places. I am thinking that this is possibly a laquer original disc that the stampers were made from?

Only thing is. There are no numbers in the lead out. You would think that if this was a master, those tend to already have some numbers in the dead wax.

Unless maybe this is a small potatoes master for a demo 45?

Or is it a bootleg? Would anyone do some sort of lathe cut bootleg of the 45 in that day? Both A and B? The A-side has a generic label that has the name of the A-side song and the band. Along with a couple defacings. There is a company name on the label But I can't make it out. It also seems that it is a sticker label on top of a plain blank white label. The back label doesn't have the name of the b-side song. It is just the plain white label that someone has written something to the effect of "no radio play"

I'll try to get pictures of it sometime.

After some research, I found that it was a commercially released 45. This is all i have been able to find on the 45/bad thus far

http://www.indiana45s.com/indiana45s_detail.php?recordID=691&group=Tempests

I listened to the disc. Good stuff. Garage rock version of Zippety doo dah. B-side, not as interesting, just typical garage/light psych. But most of the cracking and chipping has happened to side B so it isn't very listenable. If this is a laquor master, i shouldnt be trying to listen to it anyway.

The sound is good. Sounds professional, Sounds stereo. I wouldnt think that bootlegs of the day would sound this good, especially it it is a lathe cut recording booth doo dad.

So what do I have?

I'd guess an acetate from the studio for the band, manager, or label to have for evaluation before pressing a run. There are studios today that will do one, two, or more called dubplates. They don't use the metal stock anymore, and vinyl instead of acetate.

Interesting. So I may have an Acetate of a rare (according to that website) 45. Of a little known Indiana 60's garage band. Its probably either worth a million dollars or absolutely nothing then. lol

Yeah, the original acetates were acetate blown over a metal plate. (Transco made a ton of them).
I've never had one peel though and some I have are over 50 years old.
(And I have several)
They do get this white haze as the acetate starts to decompose though.
They do, as Quadsearcher said, make them now out of vinyl with a special cutting lathe.

-B

(And I have several)

Yours probably haven't been crammed tightly against other 45s in an old platterpak box for 40+ years either. Thats how I got it. An old platterpack box crammed past capacity.

Yeah, the original acetates were acetate blown over a metal plate. (Transco made a ton of them).
(And I have several)
They do get this white haze as the acetate starts to decompose though.
They do, as Quadsearcher said, make them now out of vinyl with a special cutting lathe.

-B

I now remember an interview with the Beach Boys and how they were happy with anew album out, and "somebody brought over an acetate of Sgt. Peppers, and it made us all wonder if we should even continue". I always wondered what he was refering to. Someone said it was a tape, but I just thought why didn't he just say that?. Could it be he was talking about this?

Absolutely. Similar, though not the same. Beach Boys were referring to individually cut vinyl blanks. I posted pix of Beatles Hey Bulldog in the Listening to in your head Thread. I also depicted the label from Arnold Layne by "The Pink Floyd" (sic.) I also have an acetate of an early mix of Canned Heat's Let's Work Together, which is different from the Quad, stereo or mono mixes.

I now remember an interview with the Beach Boys and how they were happy with anew album out, and "somebody brought over an acetate of Sgt. Peppers, and it made us all wonder if we should even continue". I always wondered what he was refering to. Someone said it was a tape, but I just thought why didn't he just say that?. Could it be he was talking about this?

Are acetates from 60s relitively unknown bands desirable to anyone?

I have been doing more research on the band but have hit a dead end. Along with the link I already posted, and another 45 listing site that merely just lists Tempests songs. This is the only other thing I could find online that even mentions them.

http://www.lysergia.com/LamaWorkshop/Magi/lamaMagi.htm

I'll try to get some pictures of my disc up soon.

This mystery is fun

Are acetates from 60s relitively unknown bands desirable to anyone?

Depends on the genre. Garage, psych and northern/southern soul 45's can go for big bucks depending on the 45 or artist, so you never know. First you need to ascertain what the actual released 45 might be worth and go from there.

ED :)

Depends on the genre. Garage, psych and northern/southern soul 45's can go for big bucks depending on the 45 or artist, so you never know. First you need to ascertain what the actual released 45 might be worth and go from there.

ED :)

Yeah, it's garage. Thats why I've been hopeful that it's worth something. Not to sell it (unless for some bizarre reason it brings reirement level money). I just want to be able to lord it over everyone ;)

I've been trying to figure out what the 45 is worth. I wish I had some price guides. There is nothing by these guys on ebay or anywhere I can find. The website that I've been referencing for info about the 45 has it listed as 5/5 for rarity.

And one would think everyone would like a garage rock version of Zippedy doo da :p

Back