Neil Young-Harvest-50th Anniversary-Pre Order (No Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, not all were broadcast as Quad though, some were syndicated as Quads on LP etc. Sometime back @fizzywiggs41 pointed me to this site http://www.eclipse67.com/bbci.htm
Yeah! That's familiar, I had lost track of that site.
BBC transcription services is where one could order copies at one time, not sure if that's still happening?
There used to be/may still be/ a guy had a site that offered the SQ broadcasts decoded to quad, not only from the BBC but from US broadcasts.
I know that in the early 70's I lived in the broadcasting area for Tampa, Florida stations, and at least one broadcast in SQ. Always sounded a little "tinny" to me but was exciting while it lasted.

Anyway I just skimmed the site again quickly, but what's confusing on that site is the mention of Quad reels VS SQ. Regardless of "source" if they were broadcast in SQ it would seem immaterial if ultimately the broadcasts were in SQ.

I guess real-time encoding VS pre-encoded SQ? My memory is failing on this.

Yeah! That's familiar, I had lost track of that site.
BBC transcription services is where one could order copies at one time, not sure if that's still happening?
There used to be/may still be/ a guy had a site that offered the SQ broadcasts decoded to quad, not only from the BBC but from US broadcasts.
I know that in the early 70's I lived in the broadcasting area for Tampa, Florida stations, and at least one broadcast in SQ. Always sounded a little "tinny" to me but was exciting while it lasted.

Anyway I just skimmed the site again quickly, but what's confusing on that site is the mention of Quad reels VS SQ. Regardless of "source" if they were broadcast in SQ it would seem immaterial if ultimately the broadcasts were in SQ.

I guess real-time encoding VS pre-encoded SQ? My memory is failing on this.
I never knew of any 'official' BBC SQ broadcasts, there may have been some test ones, they went to Matrix H & HJ circa 1976, because my father dropped me off at Uni Sept/Oct '76 and he let me listen to Alan "Fluff" Freeman's show on the radio that Saturday on the way there. They broadcast Be Bop Deluxe in Matrix HJ and I was gutted I couldn't record it! I was able to record much later on when they rebroadcast.

I never knew of any 'official' BBC SQ broadcasts, there may have been some test ones, they went to Matrix H & HJ circa 1976, because my father dropped me off at Uni Sept/Oct '76 and he let me listen to Alan "Fluff" Freeman's show on the radio that Saturday on the way there. They broadcast Be Bop Deluxe in Matrix HJ and I was gutted I couldn't record it! I was able to record much later on when they rebroadcast.
Hmm. That seems counter to what I've heard, but I don't know anything for sure...or long forgot. I'll do some digging into my archives.

OK I have a bunch of SQ that I suppose was transcoded from vinyl, but broadcast on BBC. Whether the broadcasts themselves were SQ I do not know.
I think they produced more Quad In Concerts than they ever broadcast, and sold them outside the UK - I could of missed them, but I did record a lot to tape and don't ever remember the announcer saying they were in Quad except when they broadcast in Matrix H/HJ.

Is it stereo? I had thought that most of the BBC In Concert broadcasts were mono? I have a few digital captures of some years back and wondering if the standalone DVD was worth getting? Just checked and is now unavailable

it’s still available at Amazon UK this morning, the DVD audio could well be mono as the sleeve just says Dolby Digital/PCM, although the CD of the same concert is Stereo; for 99p (free postage if you’re a Prime member) its worth a gamble - but I guess postage to Australia means it’s not such a bargain!

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
Is it stereo? I had thought that most of the BBC In Concert broadcasts were mono? I have a few digital captures of some years back and wondering if the standalone DVD was worth getting? Just checked and is now unavailable
Most were Stereo post 1971, see http://www.eclipse67.com/bbci.htm I wish I still had the cassettes I recorded of loads of BBC In Concerts from the 70s

Perhaps down the road, Neil will see fit to release a stand alone BD~A Atmos version of HARVEST as he did recently by releasing his [IMO] wonderful stand alone BD~A of BEFORE + AFTER in ATMOS/STEREO...which seems to jive with 'finicky' Young's new choice of 'acceptable' formats!
Overview image
This thread inspired me to listen to the Harvest in Atmos on AM and compare to the old DVD-A. Definitely an improvement in clarity, and the songs in the barn with the full band are very immersive (see photo below from a 10.1.6 setup during Are You Ready for the Country - lots of activity in all channels and very good ambiance). The 5.1 on the DVD-A was a great step up from stereo, this is an equivalent (for me) further improvement.

I personally like a couple of the other Atmos releases better - Freedom and Zuma are both excellent.
IMG_8303.jpeg

Actually Duncan,
The BBC commenced broadcasts for Matrix H on Saturday April 30th 1977 , and I think IIRC, the eclipse site has a clip indicating which BBC Channels had what in quad .
The first rock recording that Saturday was THE AMAZING JACK BRUCE BAND Live in Concert as introduced by Pete Drummond .

it’s still available at Amazon UK this morning, the DVD audio could well be mono as the sleeve just says Dolby Digital/PCM, although the CD of the same concert is Stereo; for 99p (free postage if you’re a Prime member) its worth a gamble - but I guess postage to Australia means it’s not such a bargain!
Weird? Both yesterday and just now I get this. Temporarily out of stock
Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 4.09.54 pm.png

Actually Duncan,
The BBC commenced broadcasts for Matrix H on Saturday April 30th 1977 , and I think IIRC, the eclipse site has a clip indicating which BBC Channels had what in quad .
The first rock recording that Saturday was THE AMAZING JACK BRUCE BAND Live in Concert as introduced by Pete Drummond .
It wasn't a live recording, it was 3 may be 4 tracks from an album mixed specifically for the 1976 Alan Freeman show, it may have been done as a test of the system. Also it may not have been Be Bop Deluxe (the actual band has faded from memory, but not the journey in the car from St. Albans to Cardiff) as I was keen on all things Quad so annoyed I hadn't been able to tape it.

It wasn't a live recording, it was 3 may be 4 tracks from an album mixed specifically for the 1976 Alan Freeman show, it may have been done as a test of the system. Also it may not have been Be Bop Deluxe (the actual band has faded from memory, but not the journey in the car from St. Albans to Cardiff) as I was keen on all things Quad so annoyed I hadn't been able to tape it.

Oh well that's unique then . I know someone...no names....would contest that.

Me...I do believe The BEEB broadcast matrix quad , likely secretly , as was stated in an article from Billboard...in 76 I believe. Be it SQ , or QS , or H matrix , it makes sense to monitor the testing unbiased.

The thing is THEY ALL DID IT , .....be it KBFH , XRT , Live From The Agora or Weekend Rock just to name a few, from the US.
Even here in Canada, as I found out , after the fact. That I missed out is very disappointing. I would've love to record a matrix quad show ..as the one on the CBC ..out of Toronto., which was available to my local CBC station here in Winnipeg.

@mandrix ....I notice that you were in Miami and heard a SQ transcript. From what I was able to find for quad broadcasting..the Miami area was a hot bed for quad broadcasting . I think most , (not all) of the area Miami FM stations were broadcasting in QS..or so it was back then as per Billboard reports .

Anyway...back to your regularly scheduled program.

Back