Neil Young Harvest has shipped!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Just received comfirmation that my DVD-A of Harvest has shipped from CircuitCity.com and I should receive it with in 4-10 days via regular mail. YAAAAAHOOOOOO!!!!

Bob

Could it be that a Warner title will be released on time?

WOW! I am happy to be proven wrong on this one...:) .

I do wonder why none of the other sites have it up for pre-order...certainly odd...

Any word on whether or not it will be multi-channel or just 2-channel? I had heard that Neil wasn't interested in doing a multi-channel mix so this was going to be only a 2-channel disc which would be disappointing to me (although I'll still probably buy the disc)...

Jonathan

from what I read, some things will have a heavier multi channel mix while others willl just have a stereo mix with a little surround information. It will change song by song.

Yep, you are correct...I was just using dvdpricesearch.com which (as of yesterday) was still not listing it. But when I tried searching for it directly at dvdplanet, dvdempire, and a few others, there it was.

I'm surprised as dvdpricesearch is usually quite good, but I guess they're not keeping up with dvd-a as well as they should...I sure hope this format starts making better strides into the mainstream soon...

Thanks...I'll be getting this one for sure!

Jonathan

hi

i just got the DVD-A sampler that has one track of Neil Young "heart of gold" from the Harvest album and it just sucks !! i hope the whole album is not done like this sample track i got. so far is the worst quad thing i have ever heard,(and i had heard alot) it is just TERRIBLE. i think i'll wait untill somebody else buy it 1st them let us know if it is ok to buy. ???? thanks Gerardo

"from what I read, some things will have a heavier multi channel mix while others willl just have a stereo mix with a little surround information. It will change song by song."

It sounds BACKWARDS!! Neil is in the rears, and the fronts are the complementary parts. It sounds very odd.

But then again, I have waited for "On the Beach" to be released on CD for 15 years. Neil, who is one of my al l time favorites, claims that CD's suck, and until such time as there is a medium that does not suck, he will not release these missing albums.

HOWEVER, he has continued to release his new albums on CDs, the medium that "sucks".

If it sucks for the old albums, why does it not suck for the new??

:-jon

This is one of the finest DVD-A releases ever. Talk about rich detail. This multi channel release, yes, contrary to what was thought, all songs are multi channel, is impressive indeed. I've never heard such depth and resonance from these songs before. As for the prior complaint about an early mix of Heart of Gold on some compilation disc, fear not, as this version is wonderful.

hi tgavinwi

i will like to know if we have to smoke something to hear the same thing as you did with this piece of @#%$ DVD-A most of the tracks sounds the same as the demo track i had, with this kind of music sure thing DVD-A will die along with Silverline, we (quadbob & i) have never ever heard such a bad mix, we sit down and tried to figure out what in the f@#$%k they tried to do with this title, they totally mess it up. it just plain sucks!!!!!!!! thanks Gerardo

I just sat down for my first listen to Harvest this evening, and I'm ambivalent. I'm not yet sure if I like the mix yet -- in terms of sonic clarity, it's definitely there.

From what I can tell, there's an unusual method of providing ambience on this one -- where the CC carries the main vocals, with the surrounds providing most of the hall/spaciousness effects (especially true on Heart of Gold)

Perhaps the complaint about the Soundstage being reversed is that the surrounds aren't time aligned, and therefore you're hearing the surrounds first which would give the appearance you are describing. I heard this in a setup where there was substantial time alignment issues in a multi-channel setup once before.

BTW, the 24/192K stereo tracks are stunning -- there can be no argument otherwise without some serious fisticuffs breaking out ;)

Regards,

Is this type of packaging on all new releases? I like the smaller size but that's the only thing I like about it.

No.

The artists intent was to as closely duplicate the LP packaging as possible.

The latest titles I've received from WB labels are still in the now traditional "Super Jewel Box".

Regards,

Well, well, finally got a chance to listen to this one tonight...

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. This disc sounds great! The detail and presence is outstanding.

Okay, the complaint about Neil Young's vocals being from the rear just doesn't cut it. All five speakers are used to focus Neil's voice firmly in the middle of the soundstage. If it sounds like his voice is coming from the back, then you should look at adjusting your speaker placement, timing, and/or balance.

One thing that really got my attention on this title is the focus and tightness of the bass and drums. They really stand out and at first I thought it sounded like they were too forward in the mix compared to what I've been used to. But then I realized I simply had never heard them so clearly before. It is really like hearing this material for the first time. I would almost call it a revelation. Along the same lines is the clarity of Neil's guitar. My god, it has never sounded so good. We're talking breathtakingly good!

With all this praise comes one minor quibble, and it is in line with what other folks are alluding to from different perspectives. It's Neil's vocals. Yes, on a few tracks they add a bit of reverb/echo to the rear channels in order to both center his vocal and add emphasis to it. It's not necessarily a bad tactic, but on some tracks it sounds out of character when compared to the rest of the mix. I mean, if you discount Neil's vocals, you're left with a wonderful, discrete surround mix free from any "smoke and mirrors" surround tricks. But on most tracks, layered on top of this wonderful mix, is Neil's vocal using some tricks that draw undue attention to it. In this context, Neil's vocals can sound almost out of place. So, in my opinion, they mixed Neil's vocals as they did in order to place emphasis on them and bring them to the fore. I feel they succeeded all too well. If anything, they could have gone for a more subtle approach for greater effect.

Alright, so that's a lot of verbiage for a "minor quibble". Okay, so call it a moderate quibble! This still does not drag the title down to level where it deserves some of the negative comments I've read here. It still sounds absolutely stunning and is far-and-above the best I've ever heard "Harvest", that's for sure. I suppose if I had my druthers I would prefer a discrete center channel for Neil's vocals. But hey, what can you do? I'm sure it was Neil's call, and jeez, it is his music. I'm more than happy to have this title in my collection! THANK YOU NEIL!

I also just got my copy on Friday and have listening to it several times since.

At first, I, too, was at the very least surprised by the vocal placement choices. But after several listens, I like it more and more. I think that maybe the mix is done this way partly because there is not a lot of actual instruments to place in the 5 speaker choices, so the mixers elected to try some other methods to create a surround environment. In most cases, it does work well, IMHO. Although I'm glad they kept "Needle and the Damage Done" firmly center stage (no rears until the applause at the end).

And the clarity of the drums, guitar, vocals is pretty spectacular! Once again, it sounds like the instruments are right there in my room with me! Just listen to "Heart of Gold" and "Old Man" for instance...WOW!

I have also noticed that the vocal "focus" seems to change depending on where I sit in my speaker setup. If I'm a little off to the right, the rear channels are more pronounced, but if I'm more in the center, the center channel seems more prominent.

One quibble...the first interview (w/Neil) will not play on my Toshiba SD-4700:( . If I start the interview, I immediately get a blank, green screen, and the player completely freezes up. I have to unplug it to get functionality back. Anyone else have this player and encounter the same problem?

Still...great release...bring on "Fragile!" (and "Dark Side of the Moon" of course:) )

Jon

Neil Young - Harvest on DVD-A

Buy it without hesitation. Wonderful natural sounding mix in my opinion. This is one of those "old friend" kind of albums that you know every part of quite well. I'd be the first to sound off if it had any serious problems.

NOTE: Frankly, the only problem with this format is getting enough titles fast enough! Industry leaders take note.....

I've thoroughly enjoyed the 2 full listens thus far, nothing overtly out-of-place to me and very agreeable overall.

My first copy of The Doors - LA Woman on DVD-A had terrible flaws and I have waited to replace it. Perhaps title had a problem early on? They can't be talking about this disc!

Enjoy, timbre4

Had the same freezing, green screen problem with the first interview on my Toshiba SD-5700. Also when I start up in DVD-Video mode (for the DTS and Dolby versions) this DVD again freezes completely (green screen, unplug to restart). I'm wondering if this is a problem with Toshiba or the DVD?

I didn't have a problem with my Toshiba SD-9200. I was able to watch the interview. It's pretty cool, too. Sorry to hear that folks are having problems with it.

<a href="http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=WEA48100DVD" target="top":D igital Eyes</a>
shows this in what is apparently a super jewel case, and I got stuck with the cardboard one. Anyone seen one in a super jewel case?

Noticed your issues with the Toshiba SD 4700-5700. My SD 5700 will not play any Hi Res (stereo) disc completely through without stopping and displaying a "copyright protection" indicator. These are the only discs it does this with - my older JVC 723 didn't have the problem. Mark Waldrep tells me they do not have copyright protection on any of their releases, and he sent the issue to Toshiba, who so far haven't helped. Anybody else had this problem? It does it both on the analog and digital outs so it isn't just a digital read problem.

Back