Neil Young's HD and BLU RAY ANNOUNCEMENT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aalloca

Following Radiohead's footsteps of thinking outside the industry box, Neil Young has decided to release his archives not on the antiquated compact disc, but rather, on a high definition interactive DVD and Blu-ray.

Young, who has not been a proponent of the CD for this project because of its audio limitations, claims technology has caught up with the times, and unlike major record labels, Young has decided to embrace it.

The tentative release date was February 19th, but will now be closer to October. - more on this story

http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?c=1&id=16209

DVD OK i can see that Blu ray talk about a limited market !!

Not including CD's seems like a good way to ailienate you whole market and create a big bootleg market.

I have liked his CD and DVD release is only a shame that the studio albums LWW and Chrome dreams have not been Multichannel

Long live Neil Young

Well, he fully embraced and championed DVD-Audio and that didn't last long. NY marches to his own drummer, but tends to take his time at everything. One might think that by the time these archives are released, there might be a newer format he can latch onto.

Still, if he puts them out, I'm in line to buy! :D

I doubt the original material matches the PQ capabilities of Blu-ray.

But it will be welcome no matter the level of quality they achieve.

Yeah, but for the most part, only in two-channel stereo.

Well, Road Rock, Harvest, and Greendale were 5.1. The "lost titles" allegedly were released in stereo because NY didn't have time to go back and create 5.1 mixes of them, but he at least wanted them in DVD-A.

The killer was the release of subsequent titles in the "Super Saturated Stereo" instead of DVD-A, which I believe to be a WB/Reprise decision, not Neils.

*Maybe* we'll see something issued by 2011.... And I love the guy...

Neil is a great artist and he is interested in presenting his music in the best possible way. I have so much by him, DVD-A, DVD-V, and CD that I haven't been looking for more but I will sure consider anything he releases on Blu-ray.

Chris

Back