Neil Young & Crazy Horse BD release to be 24/192

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisMabry

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
For the past few years Neil has been releasing his material in hi-res in one format or another (albeit stereo only). Alas "Americana" the new release from Neil Young & Crazy Horse is no exception. The Blu-ray will feature 24/192 stereo.

http://neilyoung.com/preorder.html

I have looked on Amazon, there is no listing yet.

It's too bad Neil has not embraced surround as much as he has high resolution. For a while there he was doing CD + DVD with the audio in (2.0) 24/96 LPCM. Looks like Blu-ray is his present preference. I have "Le Noise" on BD (also 24/192) and it is a hauntingly wonderful recording. The DVD-A of "Harvest" while a strange 5.1 mix, still remains one of my favorites.

Dennis

while I respect him as an artist, I fear his rather bizarre patents for new technologies to obtain high-res recordings and his penchant for stereo-only blu-rays are a bit of a red-herring and won't help our quad/5.1 cause unless/until he decides to mix & issue more surround material.. :(

our best bet at the moment (and what i sadly think we should be thankful for given the state of the music industry and the state of the world economy right now!!) are the trickle of EMI prog 5.1 cd/dvd combos, the odd EMI mega box set (more likely around Xmas time), the potential for more from Sony (if and when their new ELP 5.1 Legacy Editions emerge and sell..!) and the faint glimmer that Universal may release some more sets along the lines of their Layla & Quadrophenia boxes (only complete next time unlike Pete Townshend's 8 track EP DVD-A.. Grr..!!) :mad:

I'm glad that Neil has been so consitent with his high res support, but I'm still bummed about the pricing of Archives vol. 1 and the fact that his earlier studio albums (the same ones that got reissued on CD shortly after Archives saw the light of day) haven't been released on blu-ray as promised. I could hope that the holdup is that they'll include surround mixes, but that would be foolish.

There was a time when the words "Neil Young" would have my credit card out without question, but that ended some time ago - too many duff inconsistent albums for my liking, and I even got rid of a few like Are You Passionate and Living With War. Now, I need to hear what he's doing before opening my wallet. Crazy Horse and hi-res gets my interest, but an album of old standards makes me suspicious - how about some new Horse tunes instead.

Yeah, I'm bummed by no surround, but I think what I've heard sounds great and I'll be buying the BD. Here are a couple of videos for Oh Susanna and Jesus' Chariot (She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain).

http://youtu.be/ei2PVpSKkF4

http://youtu.be/0NghGoIdv-E

The archival footage is cool and it looks like the BD will have 11 of these videos in addition to the audio.

I was so excited 10+ years ago when I saw that Neil (my single favorite artist) had multiple titles available on DVD-Audio. Harvest had been my first purchase and I was not disappointed! There was such an excitement back then, not only hearing this great music in new 5.1 surround mixes, but also finding those great rare, previously unseen videos. I then went out and got all of the rest, Hawks & Doves, REACTOR, On The Beach, American Stars 'n Bars & the live at Red Rocks w/Family & Relatives. What a disappointment to find them only stereo (except the Live Red Rocks). Not as many 'bonus' features either (except the Hurricane video). That's when he started releasing all his future recordings in high resolution stereo. Imagine how good "Prairie Wind" would've sounded in surround! Of course I continue to buy them and appreciate his commitment to great sound but it sure would be nice in surround...

And now it seems the new NY&CH album "Psychedelic Pill" is com9ng on Blu-ray too in hi-res. The 2CD version is out in October, I hope the BR comes at the same time, this one I do want!

I was so excited 10+ years ago when I saw that Neil (my single favorite artist) had multiple titles available on DVD-Audio. Harvest had been my first purchase and I was not disappointed! There was such an excitement back then, not only hearing this great music in new 5.1 surround mixes, but also finding those great rare, previously unseen videos. I then went out and got all of the rest, Hawks & Doves, REACTOR, On The Beach, American Stars 'n Bars & the live at Red Rocks w/Family & Relatives. What a disappointment to find them only stereo (except the Live Red Rocks). Not as many 'bonus' features either (except the Hurricane video). That's when he started releasing all his future recordings in high resolution stereo. Imagine how good "Prairie Wind" would've sounded in surround! Of course I continue to buy them and appreciate his commitment to great sound but it sure would be nice in surround...

Greendale was also released on DVD-A and is 5.1.

Back