Trevor Rabin - Rio (CD+BD-A / DLX incl. 5.1 Mix 10/6)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm giving the surround version another spin as I type.

Back in a mo

Nope, still not doing it for me.
Too much repetition around the speakers.
I enjoy the music.
But Messrs Taylor, Wilson or Soord, to name but three, could make this release come alive.
There we are, that's my view on this release.

Last edited:
Finished my surround listen. Love it.
The music, lyrics, his voice all top notch.
Surround can go from gimmicky, which I always like, to stereo front switching to full on surrounds, great LFE bass. Also can be plain and just surround like immersive, non discrete. Point is, the mix through out the album keeps you guessing and I love it.
Liner notes: great. His movie sound track career is quite large. I had no idea that Trevor did the theme for NBA Basketball on TNT.

I have had a chance to listen and agree with some of Marpow's points.
Finished my surround listen. Love it. Possibly breaks into my top 5 surrounds of 2023.
The music, lyrics, his voice all top notch.
Surround can go from gimmicky, which I always like, to stereo front switching to full on surrounds, great LFE bass. Also can be plain and just surround like immersive, non discrete. Point is, the mix through out the album keeps you guessing and I love it.
Liner notes: great. His movie sound track career is quite large. I had no idea that Trevor did the theme for NBA Basketball on TNT.

These are the things I would agree with from Marpow's assessment.

The Music Lyrics, Voice all top notch.

Agree and of course great musicianship by Trevor in his guitar work and playing of other instruments that he did. Great variety in song's and for me the first song is the weakest in my opinion(it's a catchy song and could be a single but seems boring to me), I like all the other songs.

The guessing part of the Surround-is that there isn't alot of stuff happening in the rears but when it does show up as a more like a surprise it add's to what otherwise is a very good stereo recording.

I would call this more of a extended stereo surround if that makes sense, it does sound better than just having front speakers only as with similar sound coming from rears but just quieter it gives that extended sound in the room so it is still an improvement over just having a lossless stereo and the extra 3 songs(stereo only) are good to have on this release.

As a friend let me have a listen to it as I cancelled my order I do want to pick this up now as there is some great music on this and ultimately it's the music quality that is most important to me. Yes it is sad if you compare to how much better this recording could have been done in the hands of Wilson,Soord or Reed but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Hey! I must say I am disappointed with the 5.1 mix, would be better listening to a stereo disc via Dolby Pro Logic Decoder or something. The music does not kick me either. Sorry to say.

I didn't connect with this at first. There wasn't anything about the surround mix that grabbed me and the songs seemed like a mix of genres and styles, but the vocals and instrumentation kept me coming back for more, and now I love it. The liner notes are a great read, and the bonus tracks although only stereo are outstanding. Having experience with film scores and with his song writing ability, I believe Trevor Rabin has the ability to craft an amazing cinematic surround sound album if he so wishes.

Fair or not, I don’t trust Rabin with mixing for Yes in surround simply based on his awful treatment of the live album with Anderson and Wakeman. (Haven’t listened to his Rio 5.1 mix yet.) The live album wasn’t surround, but his decisions on audience mixing was so bizarre. It made me distrust his decision making process and what happens when you leave him in charge.

As I said elsewhere, I’m happy for him to be in the studio to offer opinions, but I’d prefer someone else mix it who has a great track record in surround.

Who knows what the future holds, but whatever we start getting from Yes in surround now could be it. I’d prefer to go with the best person available to mix it so we’re not lamenting what might have been. Could be totally wrong, but I’m not sure Rabin is the guy.

Fair or not, I don’t trust Rabin with mixing for Yes in surround simply based on his awful treatment of the live album with Anderson and Wakeman. (Haven’t listened to his Rio 5.1 mix yet.) The live album wasn’t surround, but his decisions on audience mixing was so bizarre. It made me distrust his decision making process and what happens when you leave him in charge.

As I said elsewhere, I’m happy for him to be in the studio to offer opinions, but I’d prefer someone else mix it who has a great track record in surround.

Who knows what the future holds, but whatever we start getting from Yes in surround now could be it. I’d prefer to go with the best person available to mix it so we’re not lamenting what might have been. Could be totally wrong, but I’m not sure Rabin is the guy.
Paging Mr. Wilson. Mr. Wilson...

Back