Trevor Rabin - Rio (CD+BD-A / DLX incl. 5.1 Mix 10/6)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

New album to arrive on October 6 either as a CD+BD-A or 2LP+BD-A edition via InsideOutMusic.
InsideOutMusic are pleased to announce the signing of Trevor Rabin, the South African guitarist, singer, multi-musician, writer and producer. They will release ‘Rio’, his first solo album of vocal material in 34 years, on the 6th October 2023 worldwide.

Of the signing and the forthcoming album, Trevor comments: “Signing to Inside Out was the most natural and happy signing. Thomas and I have been friends for a while, and we’ve wanted to work together for a while. As I got close to completing the project, I called Thomas. It was that simple. I am extremely happy to be working with the Inside Out team and being part of the Sony family.”

InsideOutMusic label-head Thomas Waber adds: "Working with Trevor is a big bucket list moment for me and the label. I became a fan of his signature writing style at the beginning of the 80s and have been following him ever since. He is one of the true greats in Rock Music. ‘Rio’ is everything we could have hoped for and more!"

Although he has carved a lengthy and diverse career, Johannesburg-born Rabin is best known for membership of the band Yes over a 12-year, four-album spell that began in 1983, his smash hit song ‘Owner Of A Lonely Heart’ of the same year topping America’s Billboard chart and inspiring the iconic prog-rock band to cross over into a far larger audience. Rabin was inducted to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame with the band in 2017 and more recently teamed up with former Yes members Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman in the trio ARW.

Given that his previous vocal-led solo album, ‘Can’t Look Away’, was released in 1989 (2012’s ‘Jacaranda’ was all-instrumental), Rabin has kept us waiting for more than three decades for a follow-up. Trevor admits that there was pressure from all sides, including his own family, to have speeded up the process. However, the delay is excusable. Since leaving Yes following the ‘Talk’ album in 1994 and largely as a prequel to touring as part of ARW in 2016, the guitarist entered the time-consuming world of movie soundtracks. Trevor’s name appears as composer for such blockbusters as Con Air, Armageddon, Remember the Titans, Enemy Of The State, Deep Blue Sea, Glory Road, and Gone In 60 Seconds and both National Treasure movies, amongst many others. “Over the past ten years I was having ideas, concepts that I couldn’t implement due to my busy schedule,” he explains, adding: “To be honest, those years flew by in a flurry. I knew that this was the time, and once I found my momentum I worked on the album 24/7.”

‘Rio’, named after Rabin’s grand-daughter, features a painting by Trevor himself and will be available to pre-order from the 4th August on several different formats. More information will be available soon.
You may not realize it, but at some point, during any day, week, or month, you’ve listened to the music of Trevor Rabin. It might have been on the radio when one of the biggest rock hits of all time, Yes’ “Owner of a Lonely Heart “, was played, or on one of his more than 100 movie or TV soundtracks, or even the theme for NBA basketball on TNT.

Now he returns with ’Rio’, his first vocal-led solo album since 1989’s ‘Can’t Look Away’. It is a masterclass of idea exploration combined with unbound musical ability and Rabin’s skills as a storyteller through music are present throughout. It is a record full of surprises, gorgeous melodies, dramatic changes, and incredible musicianship. Available as a Ltd CD+Blu-ray Mediabook & Ltd Deluxe Gatefold Red 180g 2LP + Blu-ray (including 8-page LP-booklet and obi strip), both featuring bonus material, 5.1 surround sound & liner notes. Also available as Standard CD Jewelcase, Gatefold 180g Black 2LP+LP-booklet, Ltd Gatefold Transparent Sun Yellow 2LP+LP-Booklet and as Digital Album.

CD
1. Big Mistakes 5:34
2. Push 6:48
3. Oklahoma 6:52
4. Paradise 7:03
5. Thandi 4:22
6. Goodbye 5:10
7. Tumbleweed 4:08
8. These Tears 5:18
9. Egoli 4:03
10. Toxic 5:45
11. Spek & Polly (Bonus Track) 2:21
12. Fragile (Demo) (Bonus Track) 5:00
13. Georgia (Bonus Track) 3:11

Blu-Ray
1. Big Mistakes 5:34
2. Push 6:48
3. Oklahoma 6:52
4. Paradise 7:03
5. Thandi 4:22
6. Goodbye 5:10
7. Tumbleweed 4:08
8. These Tears 5:18
9. Egoli 4:03
10. Toxic 5:45
All in 5.1 surround sound & hi-res 24 bit stereo
https://www.insideoutshop.de/products/trevor-rabin-rio-ltd-cd-blu-ray-mediabookhttps://www.insideoutshop.de/produc...xe-gatefold-transp-red-2lp-blu-ray-lp-booklet
TRall.jpg

Last edited:
I abandoned Apple Music because neither a 16-channel DBX Dynamic 4-band Range Expander nor a subharmonic synthesizer exist to fix the horrible sound. Thus, I'm waiting another hour and a half.

It's actually a cool song, with a couple of nice guitar solos in it. I might buy this!

I just watched this a short time ago and I really liked it. I wasn’t planning to do more than stream this, but I think I might just grab it for the surround disc.

I almost hesitate to say this and I don’t mean to make this into a debate. But as I listened to his playing, I did imagine what it might be like for Trevor to be the guitarist in Yes now instead of Howe. I do think recent Yes has been a bounce-back for the band after the personal disappointment of Heaven and Earth, but have always felt Trevor is a bit more adventurous on guitar.

But that’s beside the point... really liked the new song and now thinking of buying the album.

It's fine. His solo album in the 80s is solid. Music on a whole and my tastes have changed, and I don't find him as compelling a musician as I once maybe did. Competition is fierce. lol

Latest posts

Back