New Acura Sportwagon coming in the Fall! w/ELS Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
There's a new Acura Sportwagon coming this fall, based on the popular Acura TSX.
Unlike the more expensive Acura's, this one gets (allegedly) 30MPG and uses regular gas! It's a 4 cylinder engine with a 5 speed automatic, but it's front wheel drive as opposed to all wheel drive.

However, it has all of the Technology that's in the higher priced Acura's, including the ELS DVD-A Surround system, an internal Hard Drive, a USB iPod connection, HD Nav, XM, Traffic, Back-Up Camera and more.

Plus, the "beak" is not too bad on this one. Look for the 2011 TSX Sportwagon to show up "sometime in the fall".

Attachments

• TSX Interior 600.jpg
    TSX Interior 600.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 195
  • TSX Back 600.jpg
    TSX Back 600.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 200
  • YSX Front 600.jpg
    YSX Front 600.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 191
  • TSX Side View 600.jpg
    TSX Side View 600.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 202
  • TSX Back Closed 600.jpg
    TSX Back Closed 600.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 193
Who cares about the audio system!?! I am just happy they are binging out a WAGON!!

A new RDX w tech package is $35,000 - I think a TL is about the same. I understand the tsx wagon will also be about $35,000 - what are you hearing about it's price with tech pack?

The RDX is AWD, Turbo Charged, and a higher tier than the TSX Wagon. They are saying that the TSX Wagon w/Tech should be around 33K. However, there has been no official announcement. Time will tell. I'm sure they will be sold at full list or more when they first come out.

Funny, the sportswagon has been available in Europe for quite some time, as always rebadged as "Honda Accord Tourer". But I'm not sure it's premium system reads DVD-A. For this reason, I've actually had some thoughts on importing a TSX when the day comes to retire the 7th gen I drive now. Hopefully they keep the 2.4 litre engine forever, a fuel saving Dr. Jekyll for everyday use that becomes a roaring Mr. Hyde whenever I enter a race track :smokin

Well, I just got one of these a few days ago (Merry Christmas). I posted about it at the TSX forum here.

I did some surround testing yesterday, and here's what I posted at the TSX forum. I thought you guys might be interested in my findings:

Thanks guys for all the nice comments!

I spent the day yesterday trying things and took a short trip for a "family visit". The car is surprising brisk on the highway. I didn't peg it, but when I needed to get around a moron it did quite well for a 4.

I tried a bunch of stuff with the audio system. I administer a surround sound website so the surround sound aspect of the ELS system has always been important to me. Since I've owned an 04TL (First ELS system), an 05 RL (Bose surround system), 07 RDX (2nd Gen ELS system) I am always curious about the differences. Now with this 3rd generation ELS system I gave it a real test. Some disappointments ensured.

First off, I was hoping that with the "death" of DVD-Audio, they would have removed the watermark (copyright protection) circuits from the deck so that it would play copies of DVD-Audio discs. Many new home players (Oppo for example) do not have this circuitry and will play DVD-A copies. Unfortunately, the ELS system still has this crap in it, and a copied DVD-A stops and ejects after 10 seconds or so (as it should).

I tried putting a DTS encoded .wav file on a USB stick, and on my iPod. I soon found out that the USB stick must have an .mp3, .wma, or .aiff file in order for the unit to see the files. It won't read a .wav file. I then tried converting the .wav file to .aiff, but the resulting file did not have ID3 tags, so again it would not play. I then imported the .wav file into iTunes, put it on my iPod, and tried to play it from there. All I got was the 'static" that you get when you play a DTS file without a decoder. So, that did not work either. I guess I won't be making USB sticks full of DTS files!

However, I was impressed with the iPod connection. I have 2197 tunes stored in Apple Lossless on my 64Gb iPod, so on first try, I was presented with an alphabetic listing of all 2000+ tunes. That was a bit overwhelming. However, it was very easy to get to the 'Playlists', 'Artists', 'Albums", etc selections just like the iPod menu works. All on the NAVI screen.

Once I turned the Dolby PLII on in the ELS system, the sound was pretty good. Of course, it's file dependant, and some tunes sound better than others. Still, the iPod connection sure beats those old iPod adapters that were available for the earlier ELS units. (The ones that never worked! )

I own a lot of DVD-Audios, and have many that I've made (and others have made) from Quadraphonic recordings of the '70s. These all sound great. The home created discs play fine, and the surround presentation in the TSX is far superior to that of my RDX.

The RDX put the front channels in the rear doors, which really distorted the surround field. The large(r) speakers in the back support columns of the wagon fire straight back at the driver/passenger, and the front/back separation is terrific. I created a DVD-A test disc that put audio sweeps in each channel, and except for the very low frequencies, the factory speakers did a great job and there were no rattles at all.

The early ELS players had problems with DTS CDs, but this unit played store bought and home created DTS CDs with ease. So for that it gets high marks.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is the internal Hard Drive. It really makes no sense to me. Reading the manual, it appears that it reads in EVERY CD you put in the player! And, that's the only way to put files on the Hard Drive. With the USB and iPod connection, I think I would have preferred a multiple disc changer in place of the HDD. Time will tell.

Can anyone here elaborate on using the HD? Seems odd to me.

Anyway, rambling on here, hope this info helps others, and I'd love to hear your experiences with the audio system. I am really liking this car and it's only been a few days. Thursday I am having the back up sensors installed which is something that I am used to having, even thought the camera is great, the Back Up Sensors really help when backing into a garage, as you get one tone for what's behind you and one tone for what's on the side. Very helpful.

Thanks again for the kind words about the wagon. (I'm still a bit in shock that I bought a STATION WAGON!!! YIKES!)

Sorry to read the USB connection didn't pass through the DTS decoder. I was hoping that would work for you.

Congrats on the new station wagon. I know what you mean. We have an Expedition. Some days I think of it as a station wagon. Other days its my urban assault vehicle.

Jon,

How would you rank the sound of the four Acuras you have owned?

First if this TSX - Reason: Rear speakers are clearly defined.
Second/Third/Fourth are very close. I'd have to say 2) 2005 RL, 3) 2004 TL, 4) 2007 RDX

The sound on all are excellent. I am judging more on 5.1 presentation. However, that does not mean the RDX sucks. Far from it. It sounds terrific! It's just that Acura put the front channels in the rear door panels, which makes the surround "nice" for the people in the back, BUT I DON'T SIT IN THE BACK!! :D

The got it right in the TSX Wagon.

Back