Acura car's-I know sound system awesome, how dependable as a car,service maint,etc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Hope you guys don't mind me starting a seperate thread as maybe other's in same boat as me in making a leap of faith with a different car choice or maybe it's not such a great leap or help justify buying a Acura.

My criteria for car choices has partly been due to single family income as have usually tried to get a economical car that's good at the gas pump.
Another factor is as from German heritage I stupidly have bought VW's most of my life as, well they are good German built car's and pretty reliable but not so good I have found years later as I try to hang on to a car for about 10-20 years. I find from year 10-20 usually alot of extra cost to keep car running on the road as had alot of power related problems, presently have a VW 2002 Jetta TDI(diesel), great on mileage around the 40-50 MPG. My car is 10 years old right nowand so far its actually been one of my best as it is loaded up,leather seats,power everything,sunroof etc. and had a pretty good sound sytem it for the time. My previous car's have been Jetta,Golf,Audi 5000(got from my Dad) and it was loaded with power everything(window's,sun roof,power seat's,heated sets,etc). Well all power related things started failing,all 4 window power seats did not work,heating in seats stopped working etc, I got rid of this car even though engine and body was solid.

In January I went for the first time to check out the ELS sound in a 2012 TSX and I was hooked, what a amazing surround sound system in a car.
Only way you can get the the ELS system is you have to get a fully loaded car,power everything so it worries me a bit, like how much extra expense do you have to put out for these car's over time.
The Acura's are a luxary car so gas mileage isn't that great on most of them so I have been leaning towards getting a TSX 2009 2.4 over the TL etc.
I would love to get the new 2013 ILX Hybrid but here in Canada that car comes in at 41 thousand so that's out of my price range.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with the Acura's 10-20 years with same car and are they fairly reliable.

I just found a 2009 TSX that only has 20 thousand miles on it and is going to cost around 25-28 thousand tax's in(our tax rate is 12% on used car's as well).
This car is a lease return(would have cost 40-45 thousand brand new in 2009).

My wife think's I'm nuts, why buy a car like this if it gets way worse gas mileage(local gas prices are around the 5 dollar mark per gallon) and main reason you want to buy the car is for the sound system(she's right on that one).
Her choice is to update more things in the house we live in as house is 15 years old now, does need some updating and start saving for children's wedding's etc

Sorry for long ramble but I don't know anyone around where I live who owns a Acura so have no knowledge as to how reliable these car's are and how much maint dollars you have to throw at the car over time.

Can anyone help me out with some personal fact's on car....
Are the car's such good build quality that extra cost at the pump can be offset by less maint cost years later.
thanks for reading.......

peter

Peter,

I have a 2011 TSX. It's been the most cost effective Acura I've ever owned. It's a 4 cylinder, and I get about 27 MPG. It does require premium.
As you said, having surround in the car is awesome. I am not positive, but I think the 2009 is the first TSX to have the ELS. As for the NAVI and the power windows, etc, I've never had an issue with any of the electronics in an Acura, and I've owned 5 of them.

An off lease car may be a real good deal. Make sure you negotiate it down as far as you can go. They should have room to work on these things. Just imagine how much they made off of that lease in those 2 years! :)

Tough decision when you have to spend so much for a car, but I'm in mine a lot every day, so it's worth it to me. You have to consider family, home, and everything else before you leap. Good luck with your decision.

I may be of Irish descent (dissent!) but I seem to have a dominant Scottish gene when it comes to buying vehicles.

We are very happy with the 2004 TL; we will run it at least 5 more years. The design and quality is long-term Honda underneath the glitz. I don't know how much commuting you have to do; V6 premium gas required and the mileage is not bad. The car is essentially the same between 2004-2008 with upgraded electronics and packages as you go newer. If you were to spent $12k-under $20K that would sure buy a lot of gas (and time).

I love my 2012 RDX. It runs great - though with premium gas - and I get about 25-27 MPG on average. What you can't beat is Acura's service at least at my dealer. Free loaners for oil changes, they know me by name and EVERYONE at the dealership is awesome! I have been with Acura since 2004 and I am an Acura owner for life.... oh yeah - the sound system rocks.

Great cars, great service, great stereo. I have a 2005 TL & have never had a single problem with it. The seats got messed up when the dealer sent the car to get cleaned, after a servicing, and they gave me NEW LEATHER SEATS, gratis, and the car was 6 years old already. My previous car was a '99 Beetle Turbo, so we're in similar boats. Check out the new ILX, if you want to cheap out a bit, instead of the TL or TSX. They're all great.

I had a 2004 TL for only 5 years but I have a sales job and did put 130K miles on it in those five years. It was pretty rock solid. I did have to replace the fuel pump once and had an issue with the sound system when it choked on a disc. I had the extended warranty and both of these were covered. I was also able to sell it for $10K (pretty much Kelly Blue Book) on Craigslist when I bought a 2009 TL, which has also been rock solid at 80K miles.

A lot of those miles are driving between Phoenix and LA, most recently in 117F heat! Car didn't even hesitate.

And the sound system in both makes the drives a lot more bearable.

Last edited:
I wish I could get an Acura here in NZ...:(

Are they made for the Japanese market? I could possibly get a Jap. import....

I'd be in heaven with a 2004 (or higher) TL...with ELS Surround of course.

I wish I could get an Acura here in NZ...:(

Are they made for the Japanese market? I could possibly get a Jap. import....

I'd be in heaven with a 2004 (or higher) TL...with ELS Surround of course.
US market. In Japan, they're Toyotas.

Acura is a division of Honda, the cars are very reliable my brother has had his Integra since 1991. The factory installed sound system in it is crap though, typical of most factory systems of the time.

Acura is a division of Honda, the cars are very reliable my brother has had his Integra since 1991. The factory installed sound system in it is crap though, typical of most factory systems of the time.

This is what I get for answering at 1 in the morning. I'm a moron. Of course, Acura is Honda in Japan .Lexus cars go under the Toyota badge in Japan, and Infiniti is Nissan.

This is what I get for answering at 1 in the morning. I'm a moron. Of course, Acura is Honda in Japan .Lexus cars go under the Toyota badge in Japan, and Infiniti is Nissan.

LOL. Larry, you freaked me out for a minute there! :)

Guys, thanks for all the feedback so far, I appreciate it.

Great cars, great service, great stereo. I have a 2005 TL & have never had a single problem with it. The seats got messed up when the dealer sent the car to get cleaned, after a servicing, and they gave me NEW LEATHER SEATS, gratis, and the car was 6 years old already. My previous car was a '99 Beetle Turbo, so we're in similar boats. Check out the new ILX, if you want to cheap out a bit, instead of the TL or TSX. They're all great.

Larry, I have checked out the ILX, and I like the car but to me it still seems like a pretty hefty price to pay as car comes in at 37-41 thousand by time all the tax's,freight & pdi which combined add about 7 thousand to the sticker price.
That's why I have been starting to look at a used TSX as a possible option.

peter

Guys, thanks for all the feedback so far, I appreciate it.

Larry, I have checked out the ILX, and I like the car but to me it still seems like a pretty hefty price to pay as car comes in at 37-41 thousand by time all the tax's,freight & pdi which combined add about 7 thousand to the sticker price.
That's why I have been starting to look at a used TSX as a possible option.

peter
Be careful, though. Very few TSXs have the ELS.

Larry, agreed, I have not found as many with ELS for sale in my area and maybe because of that people are asking more for them.
Also from reading here I think its only the 2009(and newer) that have ELS.

peter
Right, and not many of THOSE have it.

Keep an Acura serviced, change timing belts on schedule and drive moderately and they are superb reliable automobiles.

Larry, agreed, I have not found as many with ELS for sale in my area and maybe because of that people are asking more for them.
Also from reading here I think its only the 2009(and newer) that have ELS.

peter

The ELS Surround System was introduced in the 2004 TL and has been around since then. You now have to get the Technology Package in order to get ELS.

The ELS Surround System was introduced in the 2004 TL and has been around since then. You now have to get the Technology Package in order to get ELS.

Thanks, yes I was aware of that, should have been more specific, I meant for the TSX 2009 and newer have the ELS or ELS system I am interested in(415 watts,etc).
I am not interested in the TL as do not need a car with that much power, its a beautiful car though.

peter

Back