New Monkees "Head" blu ray to have Criterion 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Andrew Sandoval (official Monkees archivist) is currently working on a project to restore the films of every episode of The Monkees TV show as well as their movie "Head." These will be released as a blu ray box set in 2016. I wrote to Andrew via Facebook, and he told me that the new "Head" blu ray will have the 5.1 mix that appeared on the previous release, which was part of the Criterion box set "America Lost and Found."

Previous discussion here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...37-A-Surprise-for-Surround-Sound-Monkees-Fans

I didn't know I had the movie Head on Blu-ray. I wonder if I ever played it. It's sitting right there in that box set. I know I played a couple of those movies.

I didn't know I had the movie Head on Blu-ray. I wonder if I ever played it. It's sitting right there in that box set. I know I played a couple of those movies.

If you've never seen it, don't watch it with the expectation of seeing a great movie. In a way, it's similar to "Magical Mystery Tour" - 6 really great songs and a puzzling film.

Andrew Sandoval (official Monkees archivist) is currently working on a project to restore the films of every episode of The Monkees TV show as well as their movie "Head." These will be released as a blu ray box set in 2016. I wrote to Andrew via Facebook, and he told me that the new "Head" blu ray will have the 5.1 mix that appeared on the previous release, which was part of the Criterion box set "America Lost and Found."

Previous discussion here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...37-A-Surprise-for-Surround-Sound-Monkees-Fans

Getting "head" after all these years is certainly an unexpected pleasure:couch

Give me the first three albums in quad! My older sister had those three and l learned to love 'em.

--Greg

I received my copy of the Monkees Complete Series box set from Rhino which includes the 5.1 version of "HEAD" in DTS-HD, 1080p. Only the six main songs ("The Porpoise Song" (King/Goffin), "Circle Sky" (Nesmith), "Can You Dig it?" (Tork), "As We Go Along" (King/Stern), "Daddy's Song" (Nilsson), and "Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?" (Tork)) are mixed in 5.1, not the complete movie, but man do the songs sound great! The Monkees mixed in surround is something Rhino really needs to explore. The set itself is great with restored 1080p versions of the original series (all with LCPM 2.0 mono soundtracks), the TV special "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee", and lots of bonus material. A review can be found at http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Monkees-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/140205/#Review.
I Need to borrow a few bananas from Snood! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:.:banana: (that's 5.1 bananas)!

I received my copy of the Monkees Complete Series box set from Rhino which includes the 5.1 version of "HEAD" in DTS-HD, 1080p. Only the six main songs ("The Porpoise Song" (King/Goffin), "Circle Sky" (Nesmith), "Can You Dig it?" (Tork), "As We Go Along" (King/Stern), "Daddy's Song" (Nilsson), and "Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?" (Tork)) are mixed in 5.1, not the complete movie, but man do the songs sound great! The Monkees mixed in surround is something Rhino really needs to explore. The set itself is great with restored 1080p versions of the original series (all with LCPM 2.0 mono soundtracks), the TV special "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee", and lots of bonus material. A review can be found at http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Monkees-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/140205/#Review.
I Need to borrow a few bananas from Snood! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:.:banana: (that's 5.1 bananas)!

You may approach the bananas.........just make sure to put them back when you are done :banana:

I watched the Criterion BD~V of HEAD tonight and the entire movie was in 5.1 and pretty discrete.... not just the music. Criterion did their usual excellent job but REALLY, the movie is STUPID! It came in a box set with 6 other BD~Vs including Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces and The Last Picture Show which are superior in every way, shape and form. The script was penned by a stoned Jack Nicholson (yes, THAT Jack) and it's really a nihilistic collage of non sequiturs for the disenfranchised. Filmed in 1968, it bombed at the box office and even rabid fans of the TV show stayed away in droves.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...ory/22309476?ean=0715515064415&quickview=true

Last edited:
Some People actually like the monkees? Madness, I tell thee. The world is insane.

I watched the Criterion BD~V of HEAD tonight and the entire movie was in 5.1 and pretty discrete.... not just the music. Criterion did their usual excellent job but REALLY, the movie is STUPID! It came in a box set with 6 other BD~Vs including Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces and The Last Picture Show which are superior in every way, shape and form. The script was penned by a stoned Jack Nicholson (yes, THAT Jack) and it's really a nihilistic collage of non sequiturs for the disenfranchised. Filmed in 1968, it bombed at the box office and even rabid fans of the TV show stayed away in droves.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...ory/22309476?ean=0715515064415&quickview=true

The movie HEAD is one of those items (kinda like "Tales F.T.O." by YES) where people either love it (they GET it) or hate it (they DON'T GET it). As has been stated on this forum many times ALL ART IS SUBJECTIVE, and that's fine with me. When I first saw it many years ago I was a bit like "HUH?", but the more times I saw it the better it was. There are many articles on-line which discuss both sides of this. And of course any movie that contains a cameo by Frank Zappa (who was a fan of the Monkees, even offering Micky a job as drummer for the Mothers) rates a few points (Dennis Hopper also appears for a few seconds).
I know the DTS-HD track is 5.1 throughout, but I really only noticed the discrete rears on the songs, and thought the movie audio was contained to the fronts. I'll have to pay better attention upon closer viewings. :)

Some People actually like the monkees? Madness, I tell thee. The world is insane.

Nope some people actually LOVE the Monkees Music, Movies and show! Besides there are some pretty cool covers out there too, checkout Trouble's cover of the "Porpoise Song" from their Plastic Green Head album for a little heavier Monkees music.

Back