New Sony SACD Firewire Player & Megachanger

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From HFR:

<em>The <strong>DVP-CX777ES</strong> is a new ES Series 400 disc "Mega Changer" that offers playback and management of large SACD and DVD Video collections. It features Sony's "Disc Explorer" system which provides a Graphical User Interface which enables consumers to easily access their SACD and DVD Video discs "by title, disc type, or genre" as well as an RS-232 interface "for custom installations". The DVP-CX777ES will join the upcoming DVP-CX985V in Sony's new lineup of 400 disc SACD/DVD Video Mega Changers in September. The DVP-CX777ES will sell for $800 while the DVP-CX985V will sell for $400 (see the link below for more on the 985V model).
</em>

I WANT ONE NOW!! (The ES One) :D :D :cool:

Ah, decisions, decisions.

I guess you'll have to give both of them a look in September! :)

There is a review of the new Sony Non-ES Megachanger in the latest Sound & Vision. They seem to like it! :D

If anyone has the info: Does the 777ES have a disk flip capability? From what I've read, the 985v ($400) does not, but the 875p ($600, 301 disks) does. Anyone have more info on the 875p as far as a comparison to the 985v or the 777ES? At least other than the number of disks and the 12 bit D/A converter. Trying to decide which one to buy.

I saw the ES unit today at CEDIA. It is by far the most impressive looking DVD/CD changer I have ever seen. The build quality on the unit stands out from any other changer. I did not particularly care for the silver color, but that's what the new Sony line is.

The Sony changer will be able to be connected and controlled by the new Escient unit (MSRP $1,999) which is essentially a Kenwood Sovereign Entre without MP3 recording or playback capability--but it will give you the control that provides about the best GUI I've seen. The new Escient can control up to three 400 disc changers--either Kenwood or Sony--via connection to the 232 port on each changer.

The lurking question is whether the Escient unit, although able to control either the Kenwood or the Sony, can control one of each from the same unit. This would give you DVD-Audio (from the Kenwood) and Multichannel SACD (from the Sony), all controlled by the Escient unit. If you want to upgrade and add the music server, that will be more.

If you have an attraction to changers, then you will be attracted to this piece.

Nick Satullo

Back