Newbie suggestions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawyer1370

Ok I'm a newbie here. Several years ago, I had a decent SACD player in my dvd player. I bought some really good CD's that showcased the sound (Wings Band on the Run, Boys 2 Men, etc.). I have since upgraded my stereo, so the SACD's don't get played anymore.

I recently bought a Hyundai Genesis sedan, which has a 17 speaker setup with Lexicon speakers and a DVD-A player. I wanted to get some discs to showcase the sound system, and make my 45 mile commute each way more fun.

Here is what I am thinking:

Beatle: Love (just because it seems to be the best demo disc, and although I'm not a huge Beatles fan, they are one of the best bands of all time and I appreciate their greatness)
Rush: Moving Pictures (I'm a fan of Rush, and even though this isn't the best sounding disc, I'll love it just the same)
Seal: Best (I'm a fan of Seal, and it seems to be a good mix with some great features)

Are there any other DVD-Audio discs I should really think about from a great sound perspective? I've got 3 more slots in the Disc Changer in the car.

Thanks in advance!

Ok I'm a newbie here. Several years ago, I had a decent SACD player in my dvd player. I bought some really good CD's that showcased the sound (Wings Band on the Run, Boys 2 Men, etc.). I have since upgraded my stereo, so the SACD's don't get played anymore.

I recently bought a Hyundai Genesis sedan, which has a 17 speaker setup with Lexicon speakers and a DVD-A player. I wanted to get some discs to showcase the sound system, and make my 45 mile commute each way more fun.

Here is what I am thinking:

Beatle: Love (just because it seems to be the best demo disc, and although I'm not a huge Beatles fan, they are one of the best bands of all time and I appreciate their greatness)
Rush: Moving Pictures (I'm a fan of Rush, and even though this isn't the best sounding disc, I'll love it just the same)
Seal: Best (I'm a fan of Seal, and it seems to be a good mix with some great features)

Are there any other DVD-Audio discs I should really think about from a great sound perspective? I've got 3 more slots in the Disc Changer in the car.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest you check out the Hi Rez Polls and see what folks have to say in their reviews about the many dvd-audio releases. You can find that section of the forum here; https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?42-Hi-Rez-Spotlight-Discs Since music is definitely a matter of taste you will be able to see what has been released and see what people have to say about artists and releases that you enjoy. Happy listening!

Thanks, I looked at that, and there is some great info in there. I will be spending a lot more time going through all the reviews. Any suggestions off the top of your head from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

well you obviously have your prefered artists and that's makes harder to suggest but if your main objective is
in good surround mix, definitely you can buy anything mixed by Elliot Scheiner and Steven Wilson. those guys
perhaps do have biggest portfolio of surround mixes in wide array of pop genre, so quite plenty to select from.

Thanks, I looked at that, and there is some great info in there. I will be spending a lot more time going through all the reviews. Any suggestions off the top of your head from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Queen The Game
Queen Night at the Opera

Those 2 discs are amazing.

Steven Wilson Raven
The Doors L.A. Woman
Ogre Planet
GENTLE Giant The Power and the Glory

Ohio Players; Honey and Fire DTS CDS are brilliant! Sonically sublime.

Darren Hayes This delicate thing; 5.1 DD DVD sounds brilliant. Yes only Dolby Digital but great mix and steller sound quality.
Alicia Keys Songs In a Minor
Porcupine Tree Lightbulb Sun

OK; three random suggestions.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Porcupine Tree - any one you can find, all great
R.E.M. - New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Welcome to the club, Sawyer! Some amazing titles mentioned here. You're already in for a great treat. I just popped the Darren Hayes disc into Grooveshark and whoa, what a gem! Only listened to a few tracks so far, but I love it. Glad I checked in here.

(for those of you who don't know, he was the singer in Savage Garden)

If you can, get your hands on the Hotel California DVD-Audio, and Metallica's Black Album. Those are massive cornerstones in Rock history, and both have excellent 5.1 mixes, plus outstanding sound. The Metallica disc should still be available new from the band's website, but the Eagles will bleed your wallet dry. If you were still doing SACD, you could import the Japanese SACD re-release of the mix, which might be a bit cheaper (not sure).

All the Steven Wilson remix/remasters are great. I'm loving The Yes Album in 5.1.

any of the steely dan or Fagen stuff is great. Also, the Love album, The Yes albums, Rumors defiantly and as suggested check the polls. And the dvd a release pages. lots of stuff is OOP now but ebay has a fair selection. I can't believe that Kamakiriad went so cheap!!

Sawyer I would recommend these DVD's:
R&R: Wish You Were Here-Pink Floyd
Big Band: Linda Ronstadt-What's New
Jazzy: Poncho Sanchez-Poncho at Montreux

Welcome to the club, Sawyer! Some amazing titles mentioned here. You're already in for a great treat. I just popped the Darren Hayes disc into Grooveshark and whoa, what a gem! Only listened to a few tracks so far, but I love it. Glad I checked in here.

(for those of you who don't know, he was the singer in Savage Garden)

If you can, get your hands on the Hotel California DVD-Audio, and Metallica's Black Album. Those are massive cornerstones in Rock history, and both have excellent 5.1 mixes, plus outstanding sound. The Metallica disc should still be available new from the band's website, but the Eagles will bleed your wallet dry. If you were still doing SACD, you could import the Japanese SACD re-release of the mix, which might be a bit cheaper (not sure).

Grr..!! Any suggestions on where to find that Darren Hayes? I can't find a copy anywhere! :(

Ohio Players; Honey and Fire DTS CDS are brilliant! Sonically sublime.

Darren Hayes This delicate thing; 5.1 DD DVD sounds brilliant. Yes only Dolby Digital but great mix and steller sound quality.
Alicia Keys Songs In a Minor
Porcupine Tree Lightbulb Sun

Where'd you find the Delicate thing DVD? Help!! :D

Back