• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Noob to quad need advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHearToListen

I am just venturing into this and need advice. I just got a sansui qrx 9001 at a steal and had it serviced.

I have a Thorens TD 115, the arm pic is attached. What would be a decent quad cartridge for this? I am not at all an audiophile...as a matter of fact I am actually kind of deaf to certain sounds, luckily just my wife and kids voices so far. I really dont want to spend a mint on the needle. I know, I know...

I also have 4 speakers, and 8 tracks and albums. So Im getting there...

Also thinking about pulling the trigger on a quad 8 track reel to reel combo. AKAI 1800D SS. Any others with better ratings to consider?

Attachments

• 16943085720286234674764833336194.jpg
    16943085720286234674764833336194.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
I have heard that the akai r2rs are harder to service than others. The akai quad 8 decks, just the 8 track decks, are highly regarded.

My source for that info is the best tape deck guy in Louisville.

I have heard that the akai r2rs are harder to service than others. The akai quad 8 decks, just the 8 track decks, are highly regarded.

My source for that info is the best tape deck guy in Louisville.
The only real trouble I have ever had with any of my Akai decks are the selector switches. DeOxit usually helps and fixes the problem. One machine (the AKAI 1800D SS), still has an intermittent switch. I always had to punch it in and out a number of times to get one of the channels to play. That deck is rather cool, being able to play both reels and eight tracks. The large motor is in huge contrast to the toy motors used in most 8-track decks. I haven't used it in awhile it's sitting on a shelf along with a Teac and a Dokorder that were picked up cheap and that I haven't yet been able to repair. Not a priority for me I seldom play my reels other than to make digital copies.

I always thought that the Dokorder machines looked very cool but Quad Linda recommends against them. She once sold them and most ended up being returned. Teac is generally highly regarded though.

Well if you are not going to get into CD-4 vinyl the only thing you need as carts and stylus goes is a decent elliptical stylus (minimum) and a medium range cartridge. I am real generic here because it doesn't take anything special to play SQ, QS RM etc records. And conical styli are the bottom of the barrel imho.
Now CD-4 (Quadradisc) are different and you can read about them here on this site. They take a Shibata type stylus and a way better cartridge (AT 15S as an example of a vintage cart. But there a plenty other cart that will work. The styli is the key. You would also need a turntable with shielded wiring . Sansui , Dual and others made CD-4 compatible tt's back in the day and are reasonable.

Your 9001 is CD-4 compatible .
Hope this helps. READ , READ, READ on this site before you think about going the CD-4 rabbit hole because it can be a DEEP ONE!

Last edited:
Well if you are not going to get into CD-4 vinyl the only thing you need as carts and stylus goes is a decent elliptical stylus (minimum) and a medium range cartridge. I am real generic here because it doesn't take anything special to play SQ, QS RM etc records. And conical styli are the bottom of the barrel imho.
Now CD-4 (Quadradisc) are different and you can read about them here on this site. They take a Shibata type stylus and a way better cartridge (AT 15S as an example of a vintage cart. But there a plenty other cart that will work. The styli is the key. You would also need a turntable with shielded wiring . Sansui , Dual and others made CD-4 compatible tt's back in the day and are reasonable.

Your 9001 is CD-4 compatible .
Hope this helps. READ , READ, READ on this site before you think about going the CD-4 rabbit hole because it can be a DEEP ONE!

I fell into the CD-4 hole. The quad reel to reel hole, I have found out, is deeper still.

Back