DTS-CD Official DTS Band on the Run DTS CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
We all know that the DTS CD of BOTR starts off by missing a few notes of the guitar intro. For those of you wondering if they fixed that for the DTS DVD re-issue, forget it!

The March issue of Home Theater reviews the DVD, and reviewer Gary Maxwell goes on to say that "To start with, the first few notes of the leadoff title track are inexcusably missing".

He then goes on to pretty much trash what was the original Q8 mix. For audio, he gives it 3 out of 4 "waves"

:-jon

Jon
that is the way we got it from EMI and this reissue is exactly that. These are just what Brad perfected in his studio by sending cds back and forth to a studio in LA and to Abbey Road, and slowly getting the noise reduction correct and the digital blips out. But you also need to remember these needed to go out asap as they were some of the first approved and we needed SOFTWARE!!!! We were desperate for titles. The reissues are DTS's idea of a way to compete with DVD-A i guess, i am not so sure it was all that neccesary. They need content to keep the DTS Entertainment division going and i know finding great material is very difficult. Tad

H-m-m-m. I wonder what EMI did to the master tape? Was taht the original Q8 master that they gave you?. It sounds like they made a 4 channel copy, and forgot to hit the record button in time!

It would hav ebeen so easy to fix, considering it's only 1 guitar part in the left channels. They could have patched that with a regular stereo CD cut....IMHO

It is my understanding that the notes are missing not because they are not actually there, but because it takes the decoder a second to lock onto the stream once it starts. I reckon a DTS encoder throws away bits from any silence it encounters.

The Quadfather

Well, this is nothing compared to the butcher job they did on Eric Johnson. He is pissed! Check out his lambast of the 5.1 release they did without his permission (read the pop-up window when you visit his site):

www.ericjohnson.com

Even if that were the case .. I put 2 seconds of d.t.s. encoded silience in at a critical point like that so the decoder can get all info. Just a thought! "allaroundsurround"

Well, now that I can play DTS CDs into my PC and get the wav files, I can see exactly what happened on this official DTS Entertainment release of BOTR.

On the Q8, the Lead guitar starts in the right front channel, and is then joined a second 1.227 seconds later by the guitar in the left front channel. Since the left channel is usually "on top" when viewing a stereo wav file in an editor, I would guess that the engineer just saw that the left channel started at T-1.227 seconds, and started his cut and paste right there, not realizing that the song started in the right channel.

This is fairly easy to do, as I have done it myself when extracting a single song from a Q8 wav file. What is inexcusable is that they did not listen to the final mix, nor did they fix the CD when they re-issued it in the DVD-A style case.

botr.jpg

Has anyone noticed the empty track on 461 ocean Blvd
track 11- I think it was! The d.t.s.cd, Hope they fixed it for the dvd-a . Jon looking at your file you should be able to fix it for your own cd, but the wave envelope is a little louder in the q8 file . Should sound fine anyway!

Tab,

I did not bother to show the rear channels. The jpegs are of stereo wav files of the front channels CD and front channels Q8. You are correct, the notes are also on one of the rear channels!! :D

I was just trying to show how the editing mistake could have been made.

It would have been so easy for them to fix. Take a stereo CD of it and sample those notes, then put them where they were supposed to be...all 2 seconds of it. Why didn't they do that???

Back