Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Michael

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
New forthcoming OPPO players. Thread info was transferred from the AVS Forum.

new oppo players.jpeg

I will be updating this post as more information is released for the players. At this time the only source of information about the upcoming players is available through Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity. You can find some photos and general information about the player by visiting the 2012 Cedia Expo Cave and looking at the bottom of Day 1. Chris Heinonen also made the following post on AVS Forum with some more details not contained in the Cave post.

Somehow I missed this yesterday morning, but it appears that Home Theater Review had already tweeted the existent of the BDP-10x series of players, and some of their specifications, yesterday morning.

Any information not included in these writeups, or not included by any other publication, is still under NDA. Please be aware that anyone with information about the players (Beta Testers, etc) can't divulge any information that OPPO themselves have not publicly discussed. If we can't answer your questions, please be patient. It is not like we do not like you (or maybe we really do not like you).

Like the BDP-9x series of players, most of the features of the players are going to be identical, so at this time there is no point in having two separate threads as not much information is available for these two players.

New or Enhanced BDP-103/105 Shared Features:
Latest generation QDEO which supports 4K upscaling
2x2 HDMI. Two HDMI inputs; Two HDMI outputs.
The Front HDMI input supports MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) which allows some of the newer smartphones to be connected direct to the player and transmits the phones screen to the television. This also allows for ROKU Stick support.
Newest Netflix interface which supports 1080p video, multi-channel audio, subtitle and alternative language selection, and Family Interface
Gracenote for looking up media information such as album art, artist, album, and track information for your CD, SACD, and user generated media
Backlit Eject buttons. No more thumbing around in the dark.
No more analog video. There is a "DIAG" port, but this is to only see the OPPO UI when there is no media playback. So for those of you who use a small monitor for media playback, you will need to upgrade to a DVI/HDMI capable display.

New BDP-105 Only Features:
Fanless (unlike the BDP-95)
Headphone Amplifier
Optical, Digital Coaxial and asynchronous USB DAC
Properly oriented XLR outputs

Pricing and Release Dates are unknown.

Please let these units make my 93 worth a lot more money so I can afford the 105. I want to use the Oppo as a DAC so bad!

sad part is that OPPO from the status of affordable high-end folks player in very short span of time
jumped into category high-end and high-price of equipment, affordable only by chosen ones.
the fame does corrupt. the absolute fame, does corrupt absolutelly.

sad part is that OPPO from the status of affordable high-end folks player in very short span of time
jumped into category high-end and high-price of equipment, affordable only by chosen ones.
the fame does corrupt. the absolute fame, does corrupt absolutelly.
I have to disagree. To me Oppo is affordable quality. The 95 is $1000. These new models are likely going to be in line with that type of pricing. High-end, yeah that's when you're starting at 5K per item.

I have to disagree. To me Oppo is affordable quality. The 95 is $1000. These new models are likely going to be in line with that type of pricing. High-end, yeah that's when you're starting at 5K per item.

sure, rich folks has their own bad habits. including one to throw away thousands of bucks for not really vital or
necessary goods and services :)
with present market of BD players it seems like OPPO went into policies "keep small, use the earned previously
popularity, keep product stock low, more often change models with minimum improvement but higher price" - exactly
shows their turns from mass market to exclusive niche of rich snobs.
given that their first player (971) was introduced less than 7 years ago with price tag @ about $150 and
latest (95) @$1000, i guess we're not so far from the day to see OPPO @$5000 MSRP :(

OPPO has always strived to make their players better by listening to their customers wants and needs. Of course, those features that they can't/won't live without, comes at a price. Since their inception, the players (both entry level and upper end) have always been a value to the end-user. This is 2012, not 2003/2004, the time when an OPPO player last retailed for $150.

This is 2012, not 2003/2004, the time when an OPPO player last retailed for $150.

so what? 980 remains most popular among universal DVDA/SACD players and there are still active
market for them. why do OPPO dropped this model with silly excuse on the lack of components?
i see it as sly trick - those, who snooze will be forced to purchase more expensive succesor.
and really, how much expensive to manufacture 95 in comparison to previous models? sure,
components could cost more but it's hard to believe that almost at 10 times more.

so what? 980 remains most popular among universal DVDA/SACD players and there are still active
market for them. why do OPPO dropped this model with silly excuse on the lack of components?
i see it as sly trick - those, who snooze will be forced to purchase more expensive succesor.
and really, how much expensive to manufacture 95 in comparison to previous models? sure,
components could cost more but it's hard to believe that almost at 10 times more.

I still use mine! It has never failed me.

If the parts increase, there will be more cost. Features add parts = more money for the player. If you want to stick with an outdated DV-980H which is a very good player, then that's your choice. Most of us that like what OPPO offers in each new player, will continue to upgrade, even with a price increase. ;)

I, too, own a 980. It's sitting pack away in it's original box in my garage readying for the OPPO museum. :D

you know, i really could have more respect if you had said "after purchasing BD-9x, i gave (or even sold) my outdated 980
to mine relatives (friends, poor family, etc.), who's love to have but can't afford" instead "packed and sit in garage, ready
for the OPPO museum"

you know, i really could have more respect if you had said "after purchasing BD-9x, i gave (or even sold) my outdated 980
to mine relatives (friends, poor family, etc.), who's love to have but can't afford" instead "packed and sit in garage, ready
for the OPPO museum"

I already made that mistake with my 983. :yikes

Happy listening!

What is meant by Properly oriented XLR outputs. What is the difference between this and how they are oriented on the 95? Were they put in upside down or what? My Sony SACD player has the balanced cables go in horizontally and my Tascam 3030 reel-to-reel and Tascam cassette deck have them go in straight up. Which orientation is "proper"?

What is meant by Properly oriented XLR outputs. What is the difference between this and how they are oriented on the 95? Were they put in upside down or what? My Sony SACD player has the balanced cables go in horizontally and my Tascam 3030 reel-to-reel and Tascam cassette deck have them go in straight up. Which orientation is "proper"?
I found this post on AVS: The previous player had a board mounted upside down, so the XLR outputs were upside down.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428214/official-oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-anticipation-thread/30#post_22381634

Back