Open Our Eyes & Homecoming - Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs (April 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it would be nice to see the ES mix reissued, it would be great to have a new and uncirculated mix. The former can be found - although not often cheaply. The latter is not accessible to us, so to me that would be the priority.

That's how I feel about it. One cannot Cue up a SACD/DVD-A of a title when in actuality it just sits there as a roll of tape deteriorating in a vault.

I'm surprised the ES 5.1 mix was not just released along with the other Warner Japan SHM SACDs. And I agree that I can't imagine the mix being better than this. That said, would really like to hear something never heard before, no matter what it is.

Anyway, whatever the release actually is, will follow these line of releases and support them. Perhaps the "Aerosmith" Quads might actually see a re-release.

On an SACD one mix would follow the other. I cannot think of a release that has done that. ......

Partially...

The UK Quad Mix of Deep Purple - Machine Head has 3 bonus 5.1 tracks:

Maybe I'm A Leo (Alt. Version)
Lazy (Alt. Version)
When A Blind Man Cries

They are the versions on the DVD-A/Japanese SACD.

Last edited:
Another two great titles... I must say I'm really impressed with what AF are doing. Keep it coming!!!!

I love Earth, Wind & Fire & I don't have the DVD-A of Homecoming. its been on my "wanted list" for ages... :banana:

Next they could issue the quad of That's the Way of the World.... the MFSL SACD is waaaay out of print... :eek: I bet it would sell well...

I would love to get "That's the Way of the World" as a 4.0 SACD. The Q8 of that album has a terrific quad mix. Demo quality stuff.

I'd heard the bands singles on the radio, but don't really know any of the Earth, Wind & Fire albums, so I looked up "Open Our Eyes" in my copies of Martin Strong's "7th Ed. The Great Rock Discography" and Colin Larkin's multi-volume "4th Ed. of Encyclopedia of Popular Music" and its got strong marks in both. I've found that if they get 4/5 stars they'll be good albums of their genre, so its one I'm going to purchase.

I've "Homingcoming" on DVD-A, but I'll probably get it on SACD as a back-up for the DVD-A. Great album.

Here is the press release from Marshall:

america.jpg

America
"Homecoming"
Hybrid 5.1 Multichannel SACD
AFZ5 204 - SRP $29.99

"A classic treasure...One of the best albums from the early 70s!"

America's 1972 "Homecoming" album includes one of their best known hits, "Ventura Highway" with it's creative acoustic guitar lines, smart vocal harmonies and spaced-out lyrics. It's a fan favorite and one of their best songs.

"Homecoming" was the band's second album and the trio were determined to avoid the "sophomore jinx" so when work began on the new album America pulled out all the stops to reach their goal. Their production maintains the acoustic guitar underpinning heard on the successful debut recording but builds on the sound of that first record by featuring more electric guitar and keyboards.

"Homecoming" is a melodic album full of catchy folk ballads and great harmonies and also features several hits, such as "Don't Cross the River" and "Only in Your Heart." Several other songs received heavy FM radio airplay. The album is a collection of thoughtful, well-written, and skillfully sung songs...It's one of America's better albums, possibly their best.

"Homecoming" helped continue the band's popularity and reached the Top 10 on Billboard's Pop Albums chart and was certified platinum by the RIAA.

=====================================================================

ewf 1.jpg

Earth, Wind & Fire
"Open Our Eyes"
Hybrid Quad 4.0 Multichannel SACD
AFZ5 202 - SRP $29.99

"simply superb...a tour de force."

Earth, Wind & Fire had been delivering great albums since 1971, but it wasn't until 1974 that the public proved genuinely receptive to Maurice White's mystical and unorthodox take on soul and funk. No longer would EWF enjoy only a small cult following. Thanks to the chart-topping "Kalimba Song," the gritty funk smoker "Mighty Mighty" and the unforgettable "Devotion" Open Our Eyes, EWF's fifth studio album, went to #1 on the R&B Charts and #15 on the Pop Charts on its way to being certified platinum.

Funk came in different shades and EWF became the finest practitioners of that silky smooth style - a hybrid of funk that managed to keep much of the edge and energy of the original format, but proved to be a mainstream commercial crossover success.

The album drew an overwhelming response from both critics and music fans. Open Our Eyes showcased the slick funk, infectious rhythms built on chunky guitar lines, Sly-like horn refrains and the edgy multiple vocal harmonies that became their trademark.

Enjoy the Music!!!
Marshall Blonstein

https://audiofidelity.net/

I'm very pleased with these choices. I too missed out on the Homecoming DVD-A....
Plenty of used ones around and I'm sure they will go cheap now.

Looks like SH is doing the stereo mastering on the America. I wonder why they couldn't just do it like they did with the Grover Washington and use the existing stereo mastering.

Awesome. I have the America DVD-A and it's one of my faves. The EWF I only have in SQ so I am in on that one for sure.

IMHO, Open Our Eyes is EWF's best album. A GRRREAT Quad!

Yes, Me too! This is HUGE... This Earth, Wind & Fire title I converted a Long time ago in 2007 from a scratchy SQ record - I really love the Mix. I'm really excited for the SACD and can't wait. The Quad Mix and Music are absolutely Killer! This will wet folks appetite for hopefully the other EWF Quads if we're lucky. Getting this title I already feel lucky!

I'll also take the other 5.1 of ES mix of America and want to really support this series. Very happy here all around. Very Wise choices for next titles - and both titles will make a lot of folks here happy. :cool:

Great times we're living in folks!

Last edited:
This is just amazing news.....I will purchase both of these as both bands are great...but America in hi-res? I am SOOOOOOOOOOO all over that one. Huge America fan...

EDIT....didn't mean to say America in QUAD.

Last edited:
This is great news indeed. The EW&F quad mixes are amongst the best ever done for the quad format, and this one is no exception. Here's hoping we see many more high quality titles like this in the future!

Just saw this tweet from Steve Hoffman:

@SteveHoffmanTV: Audio Fidelity SACD of America "Homecoming" in 5.1 surround and orig. stereo mix (by @MasterMarsh and me coming soon! http://t.co/0PRBIGOQtX

Guess I held onto my sealed spare copy of Homecoming a little too long

The last time I tried to buy a copy of the DVD-A on eBay 6 years ago, it was going for $70 and more. So, this SACD will help out folks like myself who missed out.

As of a few minute ago, did not find any DVD-A of the "America" title. Have not followed what they we're going for as of late, but you could try. Either that, or continue to hold onto it for another potential sale in the future. All this stuff SACD/DVD-A/BR are rare and a collector will buy at any time for whatever reasons.

@SteveHoffmanTV: Audio Fidelity SACD of America "Homecoming" in 5.1 surround and orig. stereo mix (by @MasterMarsh and me coming soon! http://t.co/0PRBIGOQtX[/QUOTE]

Steve did a good job on the previous stereo AF sacd release of their debut album, given the rave reviews over the 5.1 mix of this that came and went on dvd-a, I am a certain buyer. The quad conversions are also top notch, love Hearts. John

Back