• 1 Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD release containing a DTS 5.1 surround mix mixed by Steven Wilson(y)(n)

Please rate Damnation separately from Deliverance.

Attachments

perzon57

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hello
I don't think this is the right thing to do.These albums was supposed to be released as one release back then,but it did not happen. When they now are released as one I think they should be judged as one too....

Regards

perzon57

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Well,I Really like this set,both the music and the mixes.Gave it 9.:music

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
My thoughts pasted from the other "Deliverance" and "Damnation" threads:

I'm giving this disc a vote of '9', breaking down my vote this way:

Content: 3/3 (Some really beautiful and fantastic songs on this album)
Surround Mix: 3/3 (A nice discrete mix that fits the album very well)
Fidelity: 3/3 (Gone are the distortions present in the original stereo master and instead we are presented with a clean and dynamic sound. Love it!)
High-Res disc: 0/1 ('Nuff said)

It's too bad that both albums are sold together as I would recommend picking up "Damnation" in a heartbeat were it available on its own in surround.
However, if you really want that disc bad enough (and can even stomach your way through a little bit of metal too) pick up this set. :)

paligap

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I had never heard this album before; the first Opeth album I bought was "Heritage". I think the songs are well written and performed, and the mix by SW is superb. I give it a 9, mostly because the packaging is really cheap. Both dvds had scuff marks, but they played without any problems. I waited until the US release, so I paid less than others did, I suppose.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Friggin gorgeous. I you like Heritage and Pale Communion, this is a must.
This is where that style began! Wonderful mix.
Very important elements in the rears, but nothing gimmicky.
The packaging sucketh muchly, but don't let that stop you.

SMS

500 Club - QQ All-Star
An easy 10 from me. Damnation is one of my favorite albums. Top 10 for sure. I had feared that the mix would never see the light of day, so I was super excited to hear about this release. Since the mix was done by SW so long ago, I was worried that maybe it wouldn't stand up well against his newer mixes, or perhaps it would be ruined by poor mastering. But that is not the case. The mix is excellent, and there is good dynamic range.

The packaging doesn't bother me. I certainly have worse in my collection. The disks inside the hard cover are nearly impossible to remove. Unfortunately, it is the DVDs that are held in there. But, the first thing I did once they were removed is switch them with the CDs. Once I ripped the CDs to my file server, I'll never take them out of the package again. The DVDs come out of the inside slots pretty easily.

Don't hesitate to pick up this package, even if you don't like the heavier Deliverance album. It is worth the price for Damnation alone.

wheeler98

300 Club - QQ All-Star
My first copy of this set was flubbered...Deliverance worked but Damnation wouldn't load. I tried to get a refund out of Amazon but their customer service is virtually non-existent. I wound up buying the set again....and I'm really glad I did. I can understand why these 2 titles came out together. They really do complement each other. I gave the set a 9...

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
A weak 10 from the Bag Man. Package doth sucketh muchly, as previously stated. Still, in every other way this is a knock-out.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Beautiful, mellow prog-rock(?) album from start to finish with tasty guitars throughout and no growling vocals; this recording sounds very "clean" with excellent fidelity and dynamics. The surround mix is your average Steven Wilson mix, which is to say it's discrete, tasteful, and completely enjoyable. This is a great kick-back and relax album... a 10 if you're in the mood for a nap (but I'm giving it a 9!)