Panasonic Quad 8 RS845US or Akai CR-80D-SS question...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I have one of these and I was wondering if it possible to open it up and adjust the head slightly to reduce the cross talk between tracks. Occasionally i can hear what is playing on the other track and if it possible to reduce that with a slight turn of a screw that would be excellent.

Also... Which screws would loosen the outside case? There are two screws on the back which loosens the back panel and then there are five screws on the bottom (with the deck right side up facing front - 1 at front left, one at rear left, one at the front in the center, and then two a bit more to the right than center of the deck at equal distance from front and back - hope that makes sense). There is also a screw in each one of the feet.

I would upload a picture but my camera is dead at the moment. I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

PS I also have an Akai CR-80D-SS with the same problem. If that one is easier to do that would be ok too.

Isn't there a hole in the top of the Panny?

I forget how to do the Akai, although I don't think it's that hard. QB?

No... no top panel on the Panasonic. That's why I want to see about taking off the outside case.

Bob I had QB cut a hole in the top of mine when he did the resto and attach a small plastic stick, melted to the top of the screw., works like a charm.

Just a question. Do you have a good quad 8 track alignment cartridge. Without one, you can do more damage than good by trying to adjust the heads based on playing back a pre-recorded cartridge, which itself may be slightly out of alighment due to age, roller damage, etc.

MTGC (Michael)

...PS I also have an Akai CR-80D-SS with the same problem. If that one is easier to do that would be ok too.

Bob, I have a copy of the Akai service manual. It's not a very good copy. I doubt it would copy again very well. But I'm sure I could get the alignment details to you. PM me if you want to give it a shot.

Spence

Just a question. Do you have a good quad 8 track alignment cartridge. Without one, you can do more damage than good by trying to adjust the heads based on playing back a pre-recorded cartridge, which itself may be slightly out of alighment due to age, roller damage, etc.

MTGC (Michael)

That's where I'm at right now. I have all the info on how to align the heads of my Akai. But with no alignment cart...? My thought, was to do a "custom" alignment for each Q8 before conversion to DVD-A.

Spence

Back