HiRez Poll Paul, Billy - 360 DEGREES OF BILLY PAUL & WAR OF THE GODS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Billy Paul - 360 DEGREES OF BILLY PAUL & WAR OF THE GODS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I’m inclined to agree with you, though I like them both. According to the liners, Gods was destined for quad release from the outset while 360 Degrees was a “retrofit” done after the stereo release, so that may account for the difference.

360 Degrees also sounds much more like a “remix” compared to the original, while Gods sounds just like the stereo mix, only bigger and better.

The crown jewel of the Philadelphia International quad releases IMO is Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes’ Black & Blue. Let’s hope we see that one on SACD in the near-future...
I didn't even know what PIR was until now and because of knowledgeable QQers like yourself. Black & Blue must be a real quad gem!

Although the only thing I ever knew from Billy Paul was "Me and Mrs Jones," I thought I'd give this double disc a chance. I've never bought any DV release where I've been truly disappointed.

I was very surprised just how great Paul's voice is. I especially like his take on other pop songs like It's Too Late, Your Song and Let's Stay Together. He didn't just remake these tunes. He made them HIS. I definitely like the 360 Degrees disc better than War.

The mix is excellent. Very active, but other than a couple of tunes (like Ear of the Gods,) things don't seem to spin around the room to try and prove he is this is quadraphonic/surround.

I voted 9, but I was very close to just saying 10

I was very surprised just how great Paul's voice is. I especially like his take on other pop songs like It's Too Late, Your Song and Let's Stay Together. He didn't just remake these tunes. He made them HIS.
I agree 100% with you and there is no better proof than Let Them In which he recorded later. He took a childish lyric and made it a proper song with a much deeper meaning. That is artistry!

I also loved the Vocalion set and gave it a 9.

Back