Penteo WINS at NAB!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Just got back from the NAB in Vegas, and I am pleased to tell you that the Penteo real-time 5.1 process won a major award!

John, Sasha and Patrick were featured in our company's booth all week, where they were showing their RT box doing on-the-fly 5.1 separations from stereo source material. I got to spend the whole week listening to the superb 5.1 this amazing process decodes -- er, calculates (I got a gentle correction from John on that point :) ), while the Penteo crew talked to broadcasters about how this could be a really killer app for digital radio.

DSCN1805.jpg

Thursday morning, the Radio World guys came around and awarded Penteo a "Cool Stuff" award. This is an award given by a secret panel of industry judges to products that really blow them away. And it really is well-deserved; the process results in truly amazing discrete audio. We listened to Crosby, Stills & Nash, the Who, ELO and more, and I was amazed at how the more open mix exposed elements of the mix that had previously been buried.

Personal nirvana: hearing "Aja" through Penteo and picking out Lee Ritenour's guitar flourishes coming, as if solo'd, from left rear :bounce Here's a pic: stereo source on PGM1 meters (left side) are fed to Penteo RT processor and returned to PGM2 (right side) in 5.1.

IMG_0033.jpg

Way to go, guys!

Last edited:
Yes, congratulations John on your win!

Let's hope that the broadcasters choose the Broadcast system you're working with as it is the only one out of the four being looked at that broadcasts in true discrete sound. The other 3 methods are matrix based. If implemented into all new car systems and home audio this could be a big boost to getting perhaps more new discrete 5.1 mixes from original master tapes. Since a lot of broadcast material will be needed, past Quadraphonic mixes and recent DVD-A / SACD releases could see new light. The Penteo system can help lead the way and be a bridge from Stereo to Multi-Channel music in the mainstream.

John you’re on your way to making it. Keep up the good work! (y)

Back