Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx @kap'n krunch. While it is a moderately sound proofed and thoroughly acoustically treated room- the primary (early) boundary reflections of the 5 bed loudspeakers and 4 overhead loudspeakers are dealt with- it is not at all "dead" sounding. More than 60% of the acoustic treatments are either purely diffusive or hybrid devices which absorb down low and diffuse at higher frequencies. The end result is a very low noise floor along with a calm clarity to both reproduced sound and the live voices of the room occupants.

View attachment 98904
View attachment 98905

Last edited:
Thx @kap'n krunch. While it is a moderately sound proofed and thoroughly acoustically treated room- the primary (early) boundary reflections of the 5 bed loudspeakers and 4 overhead loudspeakers are dealt with- it is not at all "dead" sounding. More than 60% of the acoustic treatments are either purely diffusive or hybrid devices which absorb down low and diffuse at higher frequencies. The end result is a very low noise floor along with a calm clarity to both reproduced sound and the live voices of the room occupants.

View attachment 98905

I have always thought that you have to exchange the seats, to equalize their use, as was done (I don't know if it is still done) with car tires. :ROFLMAO:

I have always thought that you have to exchange the seats, to equalize their use, as was done (I don't know if it is still done) with car tires. :ROFLMAO:
If his are like mine you really can't do that. One is left armed, one is right armed and the one in the middle has 2 arms

First of all great room - nice!

What is the noise floor in a well treated room like that?

Mine is like 44db and needs room treatments.

Measurements taken with either a quality SPL meter (Reed 8050) or my Cross Spectrum Labs calibrated EMM6 microphone and my Macbook running Room EQ Wizard both come in at 34 dBA- when the room's dedicated air conditioner is switched off. With the whisper quiet Mitsubishi mini-split AC running, the figure rises to 35dBA.

FYI, SPL meter apps for smart phones are notoriously inaccurate at low SPL levels and will provide erroneous measurements, typically 5-10dB lower than actuality. My wife's Iphone running 2 different SPL apps showed 28dBA- 6dB lower than reality...

BTW, acoustic room treatments will have no effect on your room's ambient noise floor. To achieve major improvements in this area requires considerable effort. You must reduce sources of mechanical noises (forced air HVAC systems connected to the rest of the household are problematic), use massive and non resonant construction for the walls, floor and ceiling, and essentially make the room airtight.

Last edited:
WOW!!!
just f*ckin' GORGEOUS!
one little thing...you need a linear tracking TT to do justice to your incredible room! but that's just me being envious, LOL!

The Graham Phantom Supreme 2 pivoted tonearm I'm running on my Oracle Delphi VI Reference is nothing to sneeze at @kap'n krunch. Along with the flagship Benz LP-S moving coil cartridge this is a $25k CAD record spinner. While there are a few excellent air bearing linear tracking tonearms out there, they don't lend themselves well to turntables with soft tuned suspensions like my Oracle.

IMG_1031.JPG

You must reduce sources of mechanical noises (forced air HVAC systems connected to the rest of the household are problematic), use massive and non resonant construction for the walls, floor and ceiling, and essentially make the room airtight.
Yeah, but if someone farts, it’ll be hard to get rid of the smell.

What a thrilling experience, getting to hear a new album from PG, it's like seeing an old friend after many many years :) A couple of tracks do remind me of his '90's sound which was pretty cool. I'd like to say how enjoyable it is to listen to the album in entirety, finally! Even the songs that I had been listening to previously seem to sound better now.

By now I can only listen to it in earbuds (don't shoot me, 'tis because I'm travelling).
Can barely wait for the disc set to arrive, but Amazon Spain has not confirmed delivery date yet. Seems the are low on stock already. I'm not surprised, the music is fantastic and 22.99€ for the 2+1 edition is almost a bargain these days.
Could somebody please hint on if the blu-ray has some surround that works in non-Atmos compatible gear?

Yeah, but if someone farts, it’ll be hard to get rid of the smell.

In addition to the whisper-quiet (19dBA) Mitsubishi mini-split air conditioner, my music & cinema room features a dedicated hospital grade ERV air exchanger with a HEPA filter. Stale air is pulled out and fresh air brought in through a pair of heavily insulated soft duct-work mazes which terminate in a pair of vents at either end of the room. The large "muffin" fan which powers the ERV is silent.

Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 10.30.53 AM.png

When I was doing my research into the best practice HVAC solution for dedicated listening rooms and small music production studios, this ERV and Mitsubishi mini-split combo have become the industry standard. So long story short, stinky farts are rapidly evacuated!

Last edited:
Listened to the hard disc (ATMOS) in the player. Great music. Nice immersive surround sound. Not the strongest in my ATMOS library, as far big heights experience.
The best part, the music is great. I will need to try again at a higher volume to see if I can get the ATMOS experience to pop better.
Blu Ray contains:
In-Side Mix (Dolby Atmos), no 5.1.
Bright-Side Mix (Stereo) 24bit/48Khz
Dark-Side Mix (Stereo) 24bit/48Khz
One cool feature via the menu is you can switch between the Atmos and the two stereos on the fly whatever song your on, with no interruption of song.
718XO9EdNkL._SX522_.jpg

By now I can only listen to it in earbuds (don't shoot me, 'tis because I'm travelling).
Can barely wait for the disc set to arrive, but Amazon Spain has not confirmed delivery date yet. Seems the are low on stock already. I'm not surprised, the music is fantastic and 22.99€ for the 2+1 edition is almost a bargain these days.
Could somebody please hint on if the blu-ray has some surround that works in non-Atmos compatible gear?
In my experience, all Atmos mixes play on any multichannel system that can render Dolby True HD in 5.1 or 7.1.

Gave my copy a full listen last night, sitting in my listening room, lights dimmed, volume up, sipping a favorite whiskey - it really doesn't get much better than that. The Atmos mix is superb, fully enveloping with plenty of directional surround and height activity. The physical disc renders great high end detail and depth with excellent bass punch - noticeably better than streaming. The 2CD/1BD package is priced very fairly and offers great value - I just wish more artists/companies would offer deluxe releases like this. Is the music as good as his peak 80's output? No, but for me it's not too far off either - ranking somewhere in the middle to upper half of his studio output. Plus, the production and sound quality, and the Atmos mix, elevate everything. One of the best surround releases of the year.

Gave my copy a full listen last night, sitting in my listening room, lights dimmed, volume up, sipping a favorite whiskey - it really doesn't get much better than that. The Atmos mix is superb, fully enveloping with plenty of directional surround and height activity. The physical disc renders great high end detail and depth with excellent bass punch - noticeably better than streaming. The 2CD/1BD package is priced very fairly and offers great value - I just wish more artists/companies would offer deluxe releases like this. Is the music as good as his peak 80's output? No, but for me it's not too far off either - ranking somewhere in the middle to upper half of his studio output. Plus, the production and sound quality, and the Atmos mix, elevate everything. One of the best surround releases of the year.
I'm with you on this. I've read quite a few comments or posts online bashing this album, bottomline not being as "creative" as any of his past catalog. I believe people or fans in general build expectations over time, the longer an artist takes to release an album the higher the expectations, where the artist focus is not that/there. Most artists with integrity will release something whenever they feel they have something to communicate through art. And I believe this is no exception.

Thanks to PG and his gang for this amazing record!

Blu Ray Ripping Notes:
If you choose to rip the Blu Ray via MakeMKV there is a Dolby Digital 5.1 selection for a optional choice. There is no 5.1 selection on the hard disc.

This is a easy rip, however I am a little stupmed on the two stereos for tagging purposes. They will both be FLAC 24bit/48Khz.
Below is a series of photos and screen shots, if you could confirm either way that would be great. Titles in bold above each picture.
I guess in lieu of an answer I can listen/A/B and see if I got it?
But if you happen to know definitively let me know, please..
This picture shows menu selection. Notice order of selection top to bottom.
Regardless of selection, you only get your selection highlighted, you always no exactly what you are listening to.
IMG_4903 (2).jpg

After MKV rip there is only 1 file.
Screenshot (111).png

Moving onto MMH there is 3 choices for tagging, good.
Notice order of selection top to bottom, does it mirror the hard disc menu?
This makes sense of course, but this is not always the way a Blu Ray rips, sometimes they flip and there is no video preview to on these files make sure? The video on the MKV previews only shows song title and picture.
Screenshot (110).png

Good heavens... so the blu-ray is just Atmos height and no 5.1? What a waste, girlie won't ever let me put speakers in the ceiling.

Back