Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my Denon 8500 (removing config speakers), and it looks the same with the @edmayall Denon "Porcupine Tree's C/C Live", Atmos decoder do "launches" when the speaker configuration is greater than 5.1

So it looks that 7.1 should be a "valid" Atmos configuration, even if there is no Top/Heights speakers. The objects would be rendered across the 7.1 available speakers.

This is "compatible" with the feelings that @edmayall has when listening to other Dolby Atmos discs. The other Dolby Atmos sounds "good" in 7.1. But for this one "i/o" there must be something weird that makes his AVR to read only the 5.1 substreamk, or even, only the stereo substream.

It looks to me like something strange with this "i/o" Gabriel disc that the hdmi sync from his Panasonic to the AVR, makes the Panasonic "think" that the AVR IS NOT Atmos capable, and send the lower substreams through the hdmi bitstream. Considering that with other Atmos Blu-rays it works OK.
In the past we had to get firmware updates to be able to play some DVD-Audio discs (I had to do that with my old Pioneer) as the authoring software/Java scripts had changed making some discs incompatible with older systems? May be that is what is occurring here.

If that’s the case it’s definitely the settings within the player, like i’ve said before it took me a while to get my head around the Denon default settings, but I found the “pure” button solved the problem, it plays what is chosen whether it’s atmos, 5.1, quad or stereo but the original poster says that isn’t working! One thing is for sure, it’s not the disc

So you have Digital Audio Out on the player set to bitstream, can you verify you have "BD-Video Secondary Audio" set to OFF?
Of course it's set to off! What a foolish question - look, there it quite clearly says ... um ... on. Oh. I was utterly convinced I had changed that both ways when fiddling around with settings. Set it to off now. And...

ATMOS! I feel such a plonker and would like to thank everyone for their help in sorting this and apologise for wasting everyone's time (especially mine!). I had best crank the volume to neighbour-annoying levels and give this thing a proper listen.

Thanks again,

Ed

Of course it's set to off! What a foolish question - look, there it quite clearly says ... um ... on. Oh. I was utterly convinced I had changed that both ways when fiddling around with settings. Set it to off now. And...

ATMOS! I feel such a plonker and would like to thank everyone for their help in sorting this and apologise for wasting everyone's time (especially mine!). I had best crank the volume to neighbour-annoying levels and give this thing a proper listen.

Thanks again,

Ed
No time wasting, we’re all here to help each other 👍

Thanks again,

Ed
Glad you figured it out. I'd revisit the other titles you thought were playing correctly. Maybe they weren't.

Thanks again,

Ed
Happy ending :D

Then I have the doubt if with "BD-Video Secondary Audio" set to ON, you have problems only with Peter Gabriel "i/o" disc or also with other Atmos discs too.

I thought the "Secondary Audio set to ON" mix the Secondary Audio (Director's comments and the like) track with the main track ONLY if the Secondary Audio exists.

I would guess there is No Secondary Audio track in the Peter Gabriel "i/o" Blu-ray

Happy ending :D

Then I have the doubt if with "BD-Video Secondary Audio" set to ON, you have problems only with Peter Gabriel "i/o" disc or also with other Atmos discs too.

I thought the "Secondary Audio set to ON" mix the Secondary Audio (Director's comments and the like) track with the main track ONLY if the Secondary Audio exists.

I would guess there is No Secondary Audio track in the Peter Gabriel "i/o" Blu-ray
I’ve seen this once before:
The Arrow 4K Blu Ray release of Robocop (which is genuinely stunning in terms of audio options: Stereo, Quad, 5.1, 7.1 (as a fallback for Atmos), and Atmos) tells people on its menus to ensure that Secondary Audio is set to off to ensure the atmos track plays. It’s mentioned in the Blu-Ray.com review:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/RoboCop-4K-Blu-ray/307415/#ReviewI wonder if its the way that Atmos is stored when multiple audio tracks are on offer… and I/o has 3 (Bright-Side, Dark-Side, and In-Side)

Thanks again,

Ed
Uh...my AVR plays 5.1 DTS-HD as 7.1. Trying to find out why. Been listening to so much 7.1.4 lately I just noticed the Deadwing BD is coming out as 7.1.
sigh. Like Rosanne Rosanna Dana says....

Uh...my AVR plays 5.1 DTS-HD as 7.1. Trying to find out why. Been listening to so much 7.1.4 lately I just noticed the Deadwing BD is coming out as 7.1.
Use the pure/direct button

This is Correct.

DTS 5.1, when decoded/played in a 7.1 system, uses both Surrounds(sides) and Surround Backs (Rears) speakers to output the back channels of the 5.1 mix. It also deals with the corresponding levels adjust to get the same single channel volume level through two speakers. The content on each pair of surround speakers is the same. There is no upmixing there.

DTS does that as a feature design to emulate/image the location of the typical 5.1 back speakers, that used to be more rear than the Sides in a 7.1 config. This avoids too much binaural intrusive "into your head" if the sides are at 90º

This is the way DTS and DTS-HD MA works. Dolby 5.1 and PCM 5.1 / FLAC 5.1 does not work like this and are the sound formats option to choose if we want to engage only 5.1 speakers in a 7.1 system.

This is Correct.

DTS 5.1, when decoded/played in a 7.1 system, uses both Surrounds(sides) and Surround Backs (Rears) speakers to output the back channels of the 5.1 mix. It also deals with the corresponding levels adjust to get the same single channel volume level through two speakers. The content on each pair of surround speakers is the same. There is no upmixing there.

DTS does that as a feature design to emulate/image the location of the typical 5.1 back speakers, that used to be more rear than the Sides in a 7.1 config. This avoids too much binaural intrusive "into your head" if the sides are at 90º

This is the way DTS and DTS-HD MA works. Dolby 5.1 and PCM 5.1 / FLAC 5.1 does not work like this and are the sound formats option to choose if we want to engage only 5.1 speakers in a 7.1 system.
Good info. I did not realize this was a DTS design as opposed to an AVR specific thing.
Yes, the surround back speakers sound close in sound to the surround speakers on my system.
I've spent so much time with this AVR hassling with problems, that some things just escaped me until I got a new replacement.

This is Correct.

Really... This is by design?

I'm so glad I run a multiple 2-channel (stereo) analogue amplifier set-up. And only switch on the amplifiers I need...

Back