Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....while this is a unique and new way of slowly presenting new music, I'd rather have the full album to listen the whole way through in one sitting.
It's not really new. Todd Rundgren did the same thing two decades ago and John Mayer tried this not too long ago. I felt similarly that while interesting, it diminished the overall initial impact of the final records. The full moon thing is a new twist I guess at least for a release. I know of at least one recording specifically done on a full moon for spiritual reasons, and there are probably dozens more examples of that.

I love the song, the elevated chorus, the mix, the synth sounds, the drums.
Manu Katche is such a force.
I also appreciate the release method. Would've been even better in 2020 I guess - to have something consistent to look forward to is really good for my brain. Pretty cool to hear a brand new song and then two weeks later hear it new again with an atmos mix. Some people are sitting it out, but in general it seems like each song gets more detailed listening than normal.
:LB

The new PG bandcamp video discusses atmos specifically. "Part of what we're trying to do with this record is create these sort of three-dimensional environments."
PG is talking about Brian Eno creating a synth sound that sounded like a worm, so then PG asked him to create 11 more high-frequency soundworms "to use as three-dimensional wallpaper of these moving worms. I think when you get to the atmos version, you should hear all of it." You can hear these soundworms on the Bright Side mix from 0:13 to 1:32 ish.
Pretty cool. Presumably out May 19 ish.

Sorry, in the video PG said it sounded like a worm. I'd say more like eels, haha. They're quite audible in the current stereo mix.

I hate to ask, but what does a worm sound like ???
Big!
1683751009836.png

I'm holding out until the whole album gets released. There's something to be said for song context, album continuity, themes, and references scattered throughout a complete work. I'd rather hear the whole thing.

Otherwise it's just a bunch of songs. Maybe it is just a bunch of songs?
you and me both...I mean, I've already waited 20 years, not so bad waiting just some couple of months more.

I'm holding out until the whole album gets released. There's something to be said for song context, album continuity, themes, and references scattered throughout a complete work. I'd rather hear the whole thing.

Otherwise it's just a bunch of songs. Maybe it is just a bunch of songs?
I agree to some extent, in that I have mixed emotions about these coming out drip-drip-drip. On one hand who doesn't want to hear new PG tracks, in Atmos no less!! However, PG (and many other artists) is someone who excels in a full album format, and as you @Electric Moo said so well:
"song context, album continuity, themes, and references scattered throughout a complete work. I'd rather hear the whole thing."

Last edited:
I just took the time to read thru a bit of the Genesis News.com site
and must say I'm a bit disappointed in PG's approach here.. Full moon releases, dark side/light side and all the rest. Am I the only one finding
this whole thing just a big circus of marketing hype? In the end I'll probably buy the release if I can somehow get the Atmos file on my hard-drives. But right now it reminds me of a musical version of TV's The Curse of Oak Island or Al Capones Vault. :(

Last edited:
Back