Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" BD - DTS HD MA 5.1 released 7/24/12

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
PG.jpgAnother stellar release from Eagle Rock! Originally filmed in 1993, this title has been previously released on VHS, DVD and Laserdisc and I will venture to say that is has never sounded nor looked this good. Originally shot on 16mm film, the negatives were repaired, cleaned and rescanned for HiDef presentation - the colors are vibrant and while the images have a slightly softer focus than current HD images, they are far superior to previous versions. The audio is also newly remixed and presented in lossless DTS HD MA 5.1. The mix is very discrete and compares quite favorably with the best of the more current live BD mixes. The band of course is stellar - Tony Levin, Paula Cole, David Rhodes, Shankar, Manu Katche and others - all clearly enjoying being part of Gabriels' theatrics. This is not a money grab reissue with a straight transfer from one type of media to another. There are several extras including "Rhythm of The Heat" from the recent "New Blood" show at the Hammersmith Apollo. There is a 16 pp color booklet with photos, liner notes and credits as well. I purchased this via Amazon for a very reasonable $13.99 - a must have for Gabriel fans and anyone wanting a great live lossless 5.1 mix.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Elmer. This is one of my favorites and I look forward to seeing it in better video quality.

This has been one of my favorite concert DVDs, I am thrilled to hear the good news from Elmer. PG's website mentioned the film upgrade, but mentioned nothing of an audio remix. (I thought the original was really good - they really re did this as well?!!! I will head out to a brick and mortar tomorrow!). On a side note, Peter has the band back together and is redoing the So tour in the fall - I will be in the 12 th row in Santa Barbara.
I am seriously hoping for a 5.1 offering in the upcoming deluxe So reissue.

This has been one of my favorite concert DVDs, I am thrilled to hear the good news from Elmer. PG's website mentioned the film upgrade, but mentioned nothing of an audio remix. (I thought the original was really good - they really re did this as well?!!! I will head out to a brick and mortar tomorrow!).

Brick & Mortar? They must use better bricks where you live. This isn't stocked at any stores around here including Best Buy.

Its not in the store(s) here, but hey - I'm lucky if anything I want turns up in a Btrick & Mortar store here (at the end of the world) :eek:

Thanks! I weas looking at this one for a while, but always wait for someone to get it 1st. Saw this show on TV years ago and loved it. ordering it from the amazon.

Brick & Mortar? They must use better bricks where you live. This isn't stocked at any stores around here including Best Buy.

Bought mine at a Best Buy down in Mission Viejo, Ca (visiting my parents) this morning. Checked out the video quality, wow Elmer, you are right. This is beyond impressive. I am very familiar with this one and this is leaps and bounds over the DVD. Will have to wait to hear the 5.1, as my parents don't have near the love of audio as they should.

I will attest, the original audio is great. If they have improved it at all this is about a no brainier as it can get.

Picked one up at the local FYE, sale priced at $15.99 ($3 off reg. price). Includes a colorful booklet. Pretty thick. Comes in a standard Blu-ray case. Not an eco-case. It's full-weight. Nice.

Attachments

• secret_world_live_case_front.jpg
    secret_world_live_case_front.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 128
  • secret_world_live_case_open.jpg
    secret_world_live_case_open.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Playing this. I've noticed it is not the same concert that I have an excerpt of on a HD DVD sampler. That had him riding a bicycle around the stage during Solsbury Hill.

Playing this. I've noticed it is not the same concert that I have an excerpt of on a HD DVD sampler. That had him riding a bicycle around the stage during Solsbury Hill.

I think that bicycle bit is from the "Growing Up Live" DVD.

ordered mine at amazon just now. $18.00 with post. avg amazon. local BB will stick me with county tax @9.4%
so I'm better off. pay enough property tax.
looking forward to this one, saw parts of this long time ago, good show very creative. Love different stuff.

Well, if BB has them you can trade in any dvd or hd dvd and get $5 off. The offer is good for another week or so.

Just got home and I have A/B 'd the Blu vs. DVD. I still can't tell any placement differences in the audio mix, but the Blu sounds noticeably cleaner. The disc is truly stellar. Great concert, performance, visuals - really tough to top, amazing it is nearly 20 years old.
I have seen this dozens of times before, but never so well. One of the best examples of Blu vs DVD one can find.

Can't wait to get home and pop this one in the player! I'm not a huge music concert buyer, but this was one of my favourites on DVD. Now with touched up video & DTS HDMA...(y)(y)

I played the DVD about a month ago thinking a blu-ray issue would be great....

We should have a gort fix the thread title. It's World, not Worlds.

Back