Quantcast

Pictures Of Your Surround Collections - Please Share

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

surround.sound.enthusiast

300 Club - QQ All-Star
But I've probably still spent $25-30k in media (I see 2,650 items in my hraudio.net library and that doesn't include DVD-A). Kind of sobering.
Sobering indeed, isn't it ubertrout?

I've recently made an estimate about the size of my surround sound media collection that's still unlistened to. I came to the realization that I have about 450 quadraphonic LP's (223 in Classical alone), and another 379 surround albums on optical discs (including D-V two-fers). The real realization (heh.) came that it amounts to about 338 hours worth of quadraphonic LP's and up to 379 hours worth of optical discs! With 8-hour listening sessions, that's between 78 and 89 sessions (days)! I'm talking three months straight of 8-hour listening sessions!!

It doesn't help that I've continued to collect when I find things in person at low prices, but have had to put it all into storage since 2017. Once I'm able again, I'll be busy at home, in my free time, for q-u-i-t-e some time.

RustyStatic

QQ Supporter
Absolutely... seriously, nothing gives me more existential dread than seeing/thinking about how long it'd take me to listen to my entire collection (once/again)... and realizing 1) I might never 2) how many more times might I listen to an absolute fave?

This doesn't stop me listenin' or collectin', though. Because then I just shrug my shoulders, pour a whiskey, and get spinnin'.The honest truth is that it's a fun distraction/pursuit either way—a journey and not a destination.

Clement

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Man! Am i in the right place! I always wanna be caught sitting in the sweet spot where it ever feels hot and i ain't gon' never stop 'til the last disc drops! Stay Surrounded, Comrades!

ubertrout

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Sobering indeed, isn't it ubertrout?

I've recently made an estimate about the size of my surround sound media collection that's still unlistened to. I came to the realization that I have about 450 quadraphonic LP's (223 in Classical alone), and another 379 surround albums on optical discs (including D-V two-fers). The real realization (heh.) came that it amounts to about 338 hours worth of quadraphonic LP's and up to 379 hours worth of optical discs! With 8-hour listening sessions, that's between 78 and 89 sessions (days)! I'm talking three months straight of 8-hour listening sessions!!

It doesn't help that I've continued to collect when I find things in person at low prices, but have had to put it all into storage since 2017. Once I'm able again, I'll be busy at home, in my free time, for q-u-i-t-e some time.
For me it's a bit more about having a library - being able to listen to a piece/performance on a whim in high-res/surround. It's a luxury and I anticipate that I'll never listen to everything I have but that's okay. As long as I can listen to what I want when I want.

Also, I've sold a lot over the years, mainly from picking up a very large lot of CDs at a store closing (where I basically kept 300 or so SACDs and flipped the rest), so moneywise I'm easily in the black financially. Not so much timewise or spacewise...

surround.sound.enthusiast

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I don't know if I'll manage to make it through my backlog of surround discs (well, LP's) either, but at least now I know just how much I've really amassed. I knew a problem was building based on the how many classical quad LP's I have but never listened to as I'm not much of a classical/orchestral fan (hard to say "no" to quad LP's from $2 to FREE). And recent years have been a boon on optical disc accumulation, between used and Dutton-Vocalion's SACD's.

I now realize that I need to move a small selection of decoders out of the listening room and into a future home office so that I can get caught up and try to stay on top of things!