HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - ANIMALS [Blu-Ray Audio/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA/SACD of Pink Floyd - ANIMALS

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
To Comments.png
AT LONG LAST, please post your thoughts and comments on the long-awaited 2018 remix of the classic Pink Floyd album "ANIMALS".
This brand new remix in 5.1 surround and stereo from the band's long-time producer & engineer James Guthrie is available as both a Blu-Ray Audio disc and a Hybrid Multichannel SACD, which is exclusive to Acoustic Sounds: Pink Floyd-Animals-Hybrid Multichannel SACD|Acoustic Sounds
(A deluxe edition featuring CD, vinyl, Blu-Ray and DVD will also be available starting October 7th, 2022.)

Pre-release discussion thread: Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

Hybrid Multichannel SACD Edition:
CAPP_88271_SA__169989__06212022011506-1747.jpg

CAPP_88271_SA__169989__06212022011413-8572.jpg

Blu-Ray Audio Edition:
CLEG_73193__170072__06302022085435-4104.jpg

CLEG_73193__170072__06272022114549-6872.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep it's a 10!
Could it be some type of expectation bias that I'm finding the sound quality of this release really outstanding?
I've listened thru while sitting in the MLP twice now and
I'm going to go as far as saying I'm finding this one of the best remastering of a 1970s analog recording I've heard.

I need to listen to the stereo mix of this master to be sure, but taking into account the 5.1 nature, the "veils lifted" (I HATE to say that) and the revealed inner detail is excellent. Almost begins to sound like a modern digital recording.
Thank you Mr Guthrie, truly a job well done.

First of all, full disclosure: I'm a long time huge Pink Floyd fan, and have literally waited for this release for 20+ years as Animals is my favorite PF album of all. Followed rumours of it's release religiously for as long as I can remember. So, as you can imagine, there was a lot of anticipation and expectations for this one.
This disc delivers on so many levels. I always thought the original was perhaps the weakest of the recording qualities across albums. This is cleaner, and adds a lot of subtle elements previously omitted while staying true to the intended recording. Man enough to admit I was moved to tears on every track.
Needless to say I don't need to reveal my vote/grade

No major complaints.
Sound Quality is up there - it had #$%# better well be.
mix is Good. Not outstanding but then not overdone. Satisfying for me, - James G. - now your getting it.
I'd rather had this in a jewel case, compact, old CD. Why this unecessarily oversized cardboard crap? it does nothing!
-note "during Pigs, I kept muting the system because the sub made me think a jet was flying overhead".
I've never been a fan of the "sentiments" of this album lyrically, however my review is based entirely on the musical and vocal delivery content, not the subject matter. The "instrumentalism" as I describe is top notch Floyd.
it's an "8" for me sonically, approaching 9.

My dream : "hey, here's that old quad mix we never released, let's throw this in as well to draw more purchases" ,
Me - "here's my money then".

Last edited:
Wow. Wow. Wow!!!
This new mix makes me feel like I've been listening to this album in the next room over from where it's being played for the last 40 years, if that makes any sense. It's like the original version had a production veneer applied over it that made it sound smooth, sleek and aerodynamic but rounded the edges off of each individual instrument and vocal. Making the overall presentation one dimensional.

This new mix is revelatory in that you feel like you are in the room with them and can hear what each was playing and singing before the veneer was applied. It's more jagged and rough sounding with the veneer removed but much more human. The only place where the veneer worked better was the reading of the "psalm" in Sheep (something just didn't work there). As for the surround aspect, there was non-stop action in the rears and it really opened everything up. I think most would have to say that Guthrie didn't hold back as much as he has in the past.

I have to say I love it and it is everything I had hoped it would be. I'm not ready to say it's better than the original, but it just may be. I won't know for at least 10 years. Which version will I be reaching for then, the original or this one?
10. 10. 10.

Edit: I have the Blu-ray.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and type out some random thoughts here. The first thing that comes to my mind is thinking about how some have mentioned that certain parts are pretty different from the original stereo version. Luckily, I am not so intimate with Animals that I would easily recognize those things. So, for me a non issue. Though, I get it! There are 3 bands that I know every note, every song, every album.. Sabbath, Scorpions and The Doors. If they changed some things up in a new multi-channel release, I'd know it right away. And, it's possible it would bother me a bit. So..

So, I can just listen to Animals like all the other albums I love. (but may not know note for note)

As I eluded to in another thread. This is a big, badass slab of grinding, bluesy, rock and roll. Floyd style. It is immense, larger than life, epic in every way. The fidelity could not be better. Some commented on needing to tune down the sub on certain passages. Nope, not me. My SVS sub digs right in, without adjustments and kills it. Some of you know I prefer a good amount of bass, so this is very to my liking.

I was noticing on one of the songs that Mason's drum set sounded as if I were directly in the middle. They were super wide rolls, which really increased my senses. Rick's keys are pronounced, clear and solid. I honestly cannot think of one single thing that is weak about this. Packaging? Not a chance. It's fine as is. Is it my favorite, no, but I could care less. It's been ripped, and the physical part is on my shelf.

In terms of surround, this is just about perfect. I commented in another thread about it not being as "wacko" as DSOTM. I was specifically talking about the Quad version that's on the Immersion set. Still, Animals is a perfect balance of immersiveness and select moments of discreet elements. For me, that is perfect. This thing will simply crank, with no fatigue. It rocks.

Last edited:
Animals is so damn good that it may very well establish a QQ all-time highest average score record. Would love to hear @Floyfn explain their 8 score; the only non-10 score thus far.
Well, I would expect some lower votes as more people weigh in. I am betting that most of us who have voted so far already thought this album was a 10 from a content perspective. It will be interesting to see how people that aren't that fond of it vote. I fully admit that my love for this album may make my vote less objective than it should be. But, come on, it's PF "Animals"!;)

The first time I heard this album was my junior year of college in East Lansing while attending MSU. My friend invited me over and said he had a new album for me to listen to. The system him and his roommates put together was not a true quad system but it was I believe a Hafler circuit with a powerful amp driving the "rear" speakers, some small Ohm's mounted on the back wall, and a pair of Allison One's in the front corners. To set the mood, we had some herbal essence and a couple of beers to start off the evening before listening to this great album. I'm not saying my Blu-ray that arrived today offered up the same experience as the one from over 40 years ago but it's close. The music and musicianship are great, the mix is great, what more can one ask for. I have to rate this a solid 10!!!!

Truly great 5.1 remix. The overall effect, I'd say, is to bring Animals up to the warm 'audiophile' sound quality of Wish You Were Here. Which at first is jarring, and some punk era 'bite' is lost, but it's ultimately nice.

So nice to hear Rick Wright clear as a bell, and some real bottom end in the mix. So nice to hear that filthy, piggy Fender bass (played by Gilmour) on Pigs!

The whole thing is presented at a quite low level too... I was able to crank this to 'reference level' and above with no problems.

The only differences that stood out were less highlighting of guitars on Dogs (jury is out on that), extra bits of bass pedal (loved it), the reduction of effects on the psalm on Sheep (ok with that), and I strained to hear the 'whistle' (a minor third) in Dogs during the middle 'doggie' synth solo (not a biggie).

Btw let the main screen play for awhile, it's a whole symphony of remixed parts from the album. Awesome.

Last edited:
Well, I would expect some lower votes as more people weigh in. I am betting that most of us who have voted so far already thought this album was a 10 from a content perspective. It will be interesting to see how people that aren't that fond of it vote. I fully admit that my love for this album may make my vote less objective than it should be. But, come on, it's PF "Animals"!;)
I hear you. I’m not one that was massively acquainted with this album myself. Certainly not like DSOTM and WYWH.

The first time I heard this album was my junior year of college in East Lansing while attending MSU. My friend invited me over and said he had a new album for me to listen to. The system him and his roommates put together was not a true quad system but it was I believe a Hafler circuit with a powerful amp driving the "rear" speakers, some small Ohm's mounted on the back wall, and a pair of Allison One's in the front corners. To set the mood, we had some herbal essence and a couple of beers to start off the evening before listening to this great album. I'm not saying my Blu-ray that arrived today offered up the same experience as the one from over 40 years ago but it's close. The music and musicianship are great, the mix is great, what more can one ask for. I have to rate this a solid 10!!!!
Greetings from a fellow Spartan! I was junior in ‘76, and remember many dorm room PF listening sessions accompanied by, as you put it, “herbal essence”. Plus an inordinate quantity of beers since the drinking age had been experimentally reduced to 18 :)

Animals is so damn good that it may very well establish a QQ all-time highest average score record. Would love to hear @Floyfn explain their 8 score; the only non-10 score thus far.
Those who feel this is "perfection", by all means, vote so.

To me a "10" is "perfection".

I didnt' give it a 1.
I gave it an 8 -approaching 9.
I would consider that a very high rating.

I wasn't blown away. probably the fault lies in me considering everyone who just got the disc so far has 10'd it immediately.
I've seen "knee jerk" reactions by folks with high anticipation happen, then have seen them reconsider in the past - in both directions.
perhaps over time I will re-consider (currently on my third listen).
perhaps I will lower, perhaps I will raise.

Those who feel this is "perfection", by all means, vote so.

To me a "10" is "perfection".

I didnt' give it a 1.
I gave it an 8 -approaching 9.
I would consider that a very high rating.

I wasn't blown away. probably the fault lies in me considering everyone who just got the disc so far has 10'd it immediately.
I've seen "knee jerk" reactions by folks with high anticipation happen, then have seen them reconsider in the past - in both directions.
perhaps over time I will re-consider (currently on my third listen).
perhaps I will lower, perhaps I will raise.
No problem. Was just curious since you’d voted without comment.

Back