Pink Floyd "Animals"+Sting "The Soul Cages"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Equipment:
Pioneer VSX-AX2AS receiver
Decoded with DPLII Music setting

The Sting CD had been mentioned in another thread , and , being Q sound(weird phase manipulation), well, it was a dead ringer. I'd say it's even more surround than any of his 5.1 mixes (I have NLTS, 10ST & BND on dts cd), so , a great plus there...

The Pink Floyd came cause I was listening to my LPs the other day and this one came from cold storage(hadn't spun this one in FOREVER! not my fave PF fare). I bought my Japanese pressing in the mid 80's from a mail order company called "The Essentials" , which specialized in MFSL and Jap pressings, they were really good.
This one is as close to mint as any LP I've played. I was in Stereo mode and all of a sudden ..hmmm... I wonder if...(select DPL).....WHOOOSHHH...it opened up!!!
Very Innnnteresting! (like Arte Johnson used to say)

I was going to try Animals last night actually. I have been listening to Meddle lately and I really doubt an "official" quad LP would do better.

" well, it was a dead ringer. I'd say it's even more surround than any of his 5.1 mixes"

I actually find this with a lot of matrix decodes. They are just more immersive and ballsy. Too many official 5.1 mixes are "tasteful" which to me
is synonymous with boring. Weird enough I got sick of movies where the 5.1 mix is just a copy of the front speakers turned down 6dB or more.
So I started using the stereo through a decoder and I find that to be much more exciting as well. I don't know if it's exactly realistic all the time
but on most movies I haven't noticed anything that sounded like it shouldn't be in a spot that it is. And movies where they use a lot of stereo source
music I will take the decoder over that channel copy technique any day.

Weird enough I got sick of movies where the 5.1 mix is just a copy of the front speakers turned down 6dB or more.
So I started using the stereo through a decoder and I find that to be much more exciting as well. I don't know if it's exactly realistic all the time
but on most movies I haven't noticed anything that sounded like it shouldn't be in a spot that it is. And movies where they use a lot of stereo source
music I will take the decoder over that channel copy technique any day.

I find myself doing the same thing. Not even caring if there is 5.1 mix cause if I play the 2.0 through DPL II, it often sounds better. Try this with John Denver's Wildlife concert. It sounds discrete and great through DPL II.

Back