UHQR LP Mobile Fidelity Dark Side... Question.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disclord

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Plattsburg, MO (just outside Kansas City)
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I couldn't figure out which one was. (is there a forum for requests?)

Anyway, what I want to know is, does anyone on QQ have a copy of the 6-page fold-open Technical Specifications Manual that came with the signed, limited edition UHQR Box LP release of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon - and if so, could I get a high quality scan of the Technical Specifications Manual? Although it's unrelated to dbx LP's, Mobile Fidelity did issue a few DBX LP's and I want to have as much info as possible on all of Mo-Fi's releases from that time for my website so people can download their own copies. I've never even seen the Technical Specifications Manual before. I have some MCA DiscoVision single-sided 'floppy' LaserDisc test pressings from 1976/77 that MCA put in styrofoam Nautilus Records boxes, but that's as close as I can come to something like the Mo-Fi technical manual that came with all the limited edition boxed UHQR LP releases.
(BTW, the MCA DiscoVision test-pressings play fine on any LD player - except my test pressing of the movie High Planes Drifter is the "edited for television" version - I guess they did that so as not to offend anyone at press showings perhaps?)

So, anyway, if anyone has a copy, could you please, please (begging on bended knee) scan it at 300 to 600 dpi and send it to me? Although I can't pay you for it, if I have articles or tech papers, ad's or reviews you're interested in, I'll gladly trade you for it.

Thank you,
Ty Chamberlain (Disclord)

Was it included in all of the UHQR's or just the DSOTM?

It was Attached to all UHQR issues. I will scan it on Monday and send to you (will come from UHQR of DSOTM).
Regards,
Slavi

sorry but nooooooo

MFSL Vinyl....Sir Georg Solti : Holst The Planets (MFSL 1-510, released circa 1979) also as a UHQR MFSL 1-510...(stereo and no dbx)

Susskind's Holst: The Planets on a Mobile fidelity SACD Hybrid stereo/multichannel UDSACD 4005...not available on MFSL vinyl
(and no dbx encoding on the sacd)

Nautilus released some dbx encoded lp's that required a dbx decoder for proper playback but never MFSL

as for the extreme rarity of having both dbx encoded lp's with qs decoding go to

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?8091-DBX-encoded-QS-Quad-record
some titles all vox turnabout...taken from post 16

Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34666 Thomas Schippers Cincinnati Symp. Orch Richard Strauss, Salome, Don Juan, dbx SS-3005.
Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34584 Walter Susskind Saint Louis Symp. Orch. Also Sprach Zarathustra, dbx
Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34603 S. Skrowaczewski Minnesota Orch. Ravel, Daphnis et Chloe, Ma Mere l'Oye, dbx SS-3013
Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34681 Thomas Schippers Cincinnati Symp. Orch Schubert, Symphony (No. 9), "The Great", dbx
Turnabout/dbx QS QTV 34718 Slatkin & Susskind Saint Louis Symp. Orch. A Slavonic Festival, dbx SS3008

sorry but nooooooo

MFSL Vinyl....Sir Georg Solti : Holst The Planets (MFSL 1-510, released circa 1979) also as a UHQR MFSL 1-510...(stereo and no dbx)

Susskind's Holst: The Planets on a Mobile fidelity SACD Hybrid stereo/multichannel UDSACD 4005...not available on MFSL vinyl
(and no dbx encoding on the sacd)

Nautilus released some dbx encoded lp's that required a dbx decoder for proper playback but never MFSL

as for the extreme rarity of having both dbx encoded lp's with qs decoding go to

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?8091-DBX-encoded-QS-Quad-record
some titles all vox turnabout...taken from post 16

Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34666 Thomas Schippers Cincinnati Symp. Orch Richard Strauss, Salome, Don Juan, dbx SS-3005.
Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34584 Walter Susskind Saint Louis Symp. Orch. Also Sprach Zarathustra, dbx
Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34603 S. Skrowaczewski Minnesota Orch. Ravel, Daphnis et Chloe, Ma Mere l'Oye, dbx SS-3013
Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34681 Thomas Schippers Cincinnati Symp. Orch Schubert, Symphony (No. 9), "The Great", dbx
Turnabout/dbx QS QTV 34718 Slatkin & Susskind Saint Louis Symp. Orch. A Slavonic Festival, dbx SS3008

Ooops, my bad.

I have the Mo-Fi LP of Sir Georg Solti : Holst The Planets MFSL 1-510 here in Plattsburg, as well as Susskind's Turnabout QS release of The Planets at my parents house in Albuquerque along with the Turnabout/dbx QS QTV-S 34584 Walter Susskind Saint Louis Symp. Orch. Also Sprach Zarathustra, in dbx. I've been listening to the CD layer of Susskind's The Planets MoFi SACD a lot lately too (the CD channel layer only because no one has made a DTS-HD BDA of the quad mix layer). Susskind's QS LP was the first version of The Planets I ever heard so it's always been my "definitive version" - I just wish it was a 'quaddy' mix. I also wish Mo-Fi had used the QS mix for the 2 channel SACD layer.

Anyway, I was clearly mistaken that Susskind's QS version of The Planets was released by MoFi in dbx. It somehow became a false memory because I've thought it was released that way for many years now. No wonder I've never seen it on any Mo-Fi LP list!

Susskind's original Turnabout QS LP release of The Planets is one of the most compressed LP's I've ever heard - as the grooves near the inner radius, the dynamic range starts to disappear and the sound gets a super 'pinched' quality... it sounds and the grooves look like an early K-Tel LP - one of those with 22 or more songs - around 45-50 minutes per side - on a single LP. Finally hearing the Mo-Fi SACD, even if it is only the 2 channel CD layer, has been a revelation. And it sounds great played through the Fosgate Tate or even PL-II, DTS Neo:6 and Neural Surround. I think it's ambient enough that all surround decoders can 'get something good' out of it. It sounds good through Circle Surround too.

Thanks for correcting my misinformation on dbx/Mo-Fi QS LP releases.

I've got a large number of dbx LP's (and about 200+ SQ albums) still in Albuquerque that I need to finally bring to Plattsburg. A few of the dbx LP's are on translucent red vinyl, which I'd never seen before.

Back