Beaver and Krause Gandharva Japanese QS LP Report

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard A

Gandharva by legendary Moog pioneers Beaver and Krause has been a favourite of mine since I was a teenager. It is only recently that I discovered that this album was a milestone in commercial quadraphonic recording.

You can read all about it on this link RE/P Files: Inside The First-Ever Commercial Quad Recording Sessions - ProSoundWeb

Not many people realise that the album was also a major influence on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon. It is known from interviews with band members that Pink Floyd heard the album and probably in Quad. Parts of the album bear an uncanny resemblance to DSOTM. In particular, the opening synth sound effects to "Soft/White" on Gandharva are very much like those on DSOTM and the improvised vocal performance in the song "The Great Gig in the Sky" sounds identical to "Walkin" (sung by the brilliant Clydie King) putting pay to Claire Torry's claim that she came up with the idea (I suspect that she was told to improvise in that style). The saxophone phrasing of "Us and Them" and even parts of the melody bear a similarity to "By Your Grace" and "Good Places". Saxophonist Dick Parry said that Gilmour asked him to try to get the "breathy" tone that he'd heard on Beaver & Krause's Gandharva parts of which had been played by the legendary Jazz saxophonist Gerry Mulligan.

But check out the calibre of the musicians on the album :

Alto Saxophone, Flute – Bud Shank
Baritone Saxophone – Gerry Mulligan
Bass – Ray Brown, Rod Ellicott
Drums – George Marsh, Lee Charlton
Guitar – Howard Roberts, Mike Bloomfield, Rik Elswit, Ronnie Montrose
Harp – Gail Laughton
Piano – LaMont Johnson, Mike Lang
Producer, Organ [Pipe], Synthesizer [Moog], Organ [Hammond] – Paul Beaver
Voice [Lead] – Clydie King, Patrice Holloway

Even in stereo it is a beautiful and varied recording that mixes electronics, rock, jazz and acoustic music together in a way that no other album I know has done before or since. So imagine my joy when I finally located a near mint Japanese copy of the album in Quad! (in France?!) No Obi but heck who cares. It arrived today and I just played it and it totally blew my mind. I can't begin to describe how amazing it sounds particularly the intense synth into rock section at the start that has Mike Bloomfield soloing over an insane bass and electronic back section that is bouncing round the room like crazy. The sections recorded in the Cathedral are equally amazing with a huge, cavernous sound that can only be described as awe inspiring. The bass tones of the Cathedral's organ shake the room! Quite why this record is not recognised to the same degree as Dark Side of the Moon is beyond me but I guess it's because it contains no songs, is entirely instrumental and is in many ways far more experimental. DSOTM is a pop record by comparison.

Anyhow I digress. If anything is worthy of a Quadio release this is! I read that all US copies of the album were EV encoded but not labelled as such. I just tried a UK copy and I can confirm that there is definitely no Quad effect to be heard via either QS or EV decoding. (I am using an Involve Audio Surround Master to decode). If anyone has a US copy or CD they may want to try but the Quad effect is really obvious on my Japanese LP with discrete audio in each channel. If it isn't doing crazy shit it isn't Quad. I don't believe the album was issued anywhere in Quad other than Japan. It is on Warner Brothers who as far as I am aware didn't support QS (they used CD-4) so maybe the Japanese edition was some kind of exception for the Japanese market due to it's importance as a Quad recording ?

Last edited:
Gandharva by legendary Moog pioneers Beaver and Krause has been a favourite of mine since I was a teenager. It is only recently that I discovered that this album was a milestone in commercial quadraphonic recording.

You can read all about it on this link RE/P Files: Inside The First-Ever Commercial Quad Recording Sessions - ProSoundWeb

Not many people realise that the album was also a major influence on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon. It is known from interviews with band members that Pink Floyd heard the album and probably in Quad. Parts of the album bear an uncanny resemblance to DSOTM. In particular, the opening synth sound effects to "Soft/White" on Gandharva are very much like those on DSOTM and the improvised vocal performance in the song "The Great Gig in the Sky" sounds identical to "Walkin" (sung by the brilliant Clydie King) putting pay to Claire Torry's claim that she came up with the idea (I suspect that she was told to improvise in that style). The saxophone phrasing of "Us and Them" and even parts of the melody bear a similarity to "By Your Grace" and "Good Places". Saxophonist Dick Parry said that Gilmour asked him to try to get the "breathy" tone that he'd heard on Beaver & Krause's Gandharva parts of which had been played by the legendary Jazz Saxophonist Gerry Mulligan.

Harp – Gail Laughton

Even in stereo It is a beautiful and varied recording that mixes electronics, rock, jazz and acoustic music together in a way that no other album I know has done before or since. So imagine my joy when I finally located a Japanese copy of the album in Quad! (in France?!) It arrived today and I just played it and it totally blew my mind. I can't begin to describe how amazing it sounds particularly the intense synth into rock section at the start that has Mike Bloomfield soloing over an insane bass and electronic back section that is bouncing round the room like crazy. The sections recorded in the Cathedral are equally amazing with a huge, cavernous sound that can only be described as awe inspiring. Quite why this record is not recognised to the same degree as Dark Side of the Moon is beyond me but I guess it's because it contains no songs, is entirely instrumental and is in many ways far more experimental. DSOTM is a pop record by comparison.

Anyhow I digress. If anything is worthy of a Quadio release this is! I read that all US copies of the album were EV encoded but not labelled as such. I do not know if this is true but I'm going to give it a go (I am using an Involve Audio Surround Master to decode) and will report back.
Are you sure it is in SQ; according to a couple of discogs, they mention in the notes that the Japanese version may be in QS (even better if so?)

Do you have photos of the front, back, album and any additional sides/inserts?

https://www.discogs.com/release/27872928-Beaver-Krause-Gandharva
https://www.discogs.com/release/14348600-Beaver-Krause-Gandharva

Are you sure it is in SQ; according to a couple of discogs, they mention in the notes that the Japanese version may be in QS (even better if so?)

Do you have photos of the front, back, album and any additional sides/inserts?

https://www.discogs.com/release/27872928-Beaver-Krause-Gandharva
https://www.discogs.com/release/14348600-Beaver-Krause-Gandharva
Sorry typo. It is QS. It has a Quadra Sonic sticker on the front exactly as the Discogs entry. Have adjusted my post.

Not many people realise that the album was also a major influence on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon. It is known from interviews with band members that Pink Floyd heard the album and probably in Quad. Parts of the album bear an uncanny resemblance to DSOTM. In particular, the opening synth sound effects to "Soft/White" on Gandharva are very much like those on DSOTM and the improvised vocal performance in the song "The Great Gig in the Sky" sounds identical to "Walkin" (sung by the brilliant Clydie King) putting pay to Claire Torry's claim that she came up with the idea (I suspect that she was told to improvise in that style). The saxophone phrasing of "Us and Them" and even parts of the melody bear a similarity to "By Your Grace" and "Good Places". Saxophonist Dick Parry said that Gilmour asked him to try to get the "breathy" tone that he'd heard on Beaver & Krause's Gandharva parts of which had been played by the legendary Jazz saxophonist Gerry Mulligan.

Harp – Gail Laughton

Even in stereo it is a beautiful and varied recording that mixes electronics, rock, jazz and acoustic music together in a way that no other album I know has done before or since. So imagine my joy when I finally located a near mint Japanese copy of the album in Quad! (in France?!) No Obi but heck who cares. It arrived today and I just played it and it totally blew my mind. I can't begin to describe how amazing it sounds particularly the intense synth into rock section at the start that has Mike Bloomfield soloing over an insane bass and electronic back section that is bouncing round the room like crazy. The sections recorded in the Cathedral are equally amazing with a huge, cavernous sound that can only be described as awe inspiring. The bass tones of the Cathedral's organ shake the room! Quite why this record is not recognised to the same degree as Dark Side of the Moon is beyond me but I guess it's because it contains no songs, is entirely instrumental and is in many ways far more experimental. DSOTM is a pop record by comparison.

Anyhow I digress. If anything is worthy of a Quadio release this is! I read that all US copies of the album were EV encoded but not labelled as such. I just tried a UK copy and I can confirm that there is definitely no Quad effect to be heard via either QS or EV decoding. (I am using an Involve Audio Surround Master to decode). If anyone has a US copy or CD they may want to try but the Quad effect is really obvious on my Japanese LP with discrete audio in each channel. If it isn't doing crazy shit it isn't Quad. I don't believe the album was issued anywhere in Quad other than Japan. It is on Warner Brothers who as far as I am aware didn't support QS (they used CD-4) so maybe the Japanese edition was some kind of exception for the Japanese market due to it's importance as a Quad recording ?
Ironically, according to Mark Anderson's QUADRAPHONIC DISCOGRAPHY, Beaver and Krause's Gandharva and All Good Men both had QUAD releases and are on the Warner Brother's label

BEAVER & KRAUSE -
All Good Men. Warner Brothers BS-2624 (EV) [US & Australia]]
Gandharva. Warner Bros. WS-1909 (EV) [US, Cabada, Venezuela], QP-8177W
(QS) [Japan], K 46130 (EV) [UK]
{The titles above where released only in quad, no stereo version known}

I expressed interest that WARNER/RHINO as part of their renewed QUADIO program might release them as part of the series and Foraging Rhino himself even expressed interest in GANDHARVA, which I agree is a gorgeous album.

Fingers crossed that at some point if they can locate the analogue QUAD masters, we may one day see both released on BD~A 192/24!

Ironically, according to Mark Anderson's QUADRAPHONIC DISCOGRAPHY, Beaver and Krause's Gandharva and All Good Men both had QUAD releases and are on the Warner Brother's label

BEAVER & KRAUSE -
All Good Men. Warner Brothers BS-2624 (EV) [US & Australia]]
Gandharva. Warner Bros. WS-1909 (EV) [US, Cabada, Venezuela], QP-8177W
(QS) [Japan], K 46130 (EV) [UK]
{The titles above where released only in quad, no stereo version known}

I expressed interest that WARNER/RHINO as part of their renewed QUADIO program might release them as part of the series and Foraging Rhino himself even expressed interest in GANDHARVA, which I agree is a gorgeous album.

Fingers crossed that at some point if they can locate the analogue QUAD masters, we may one day see both released on BD~A 192/24!
Interesting. No sign of Quad on my UK copy of Gandharva. Maybe someone on here can test a US copy and also check All Good Men. I'm sceptical. Why would any label go to all that effort and expense to record in Quad and then not mention it on the sleeve? A stereo mix certainly exists.

Last edited:
For those interested, Warner Archives did release on RBCD a B&K two~fer which contains Gandharva and In a Wild Sanctuary and it's available reasonably via discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/release/409570-Beaver-Krause-In-A-Wild-Sanctuary-Gandharva
Primary
Secondary, 2 of 4

Last edited:
I don't want to be chastized here for saying this, but the facts about the B & K albums quad status is available 'elsewhere'

I personally think Gandharva and All Good Men are not EV-4 encoded .

I think it's a definite quad matrix though. Robert Orban calls it Parasound IIRC , which would give good results in any RM type matrix such as that achieved through the EV-4 matrix.

I'm also of the impression that their first album employs a similar technique ??
Is that true ???
Now that was based on some sketchy information I read from O.D. as he was preparing to supply a "scripted" copy of it.

Interesting. No sign of Quad on my UK copy of Gandharva. Maybe someone on here can test a US copy and also check All Good Men. I'm sceptical. Why would any label go to all that effort and expense to record in Quad and then not mention it on the sleeve? A stereo mix certainly exists.

There is no doubt about it being a matrix album ..mixed down from quadraphonic discrete tape.
My copy , U.S. btw, details it quite well on the reverse liner notes.

And ...Well it is Not so much a label's effort , as that of the artist's and the engineer.

Also for "All Good Men" there is no mention of method , only that it was mixed in quadraphonic , and that was on an inner sleeve.

I personally think Gandharva and All Good Men are not EV-4 encoded .

I think it's a definite quad matrix though. Robert Orban calls it Parasound IIRC , which would give good results in any RM type matrix such as that achieved through the EV-4 matrix.

I'm also of the impression that their first album employs a similar technique ??
Is that true ???
Now that was based on some sketchy information I read from O.D. as he was preparing to supply a "scripted" copy of it.
I did read some years ago, Fizzy, that Gandharva was recorded Quadraphonically expressly to show off the new technology and that side two which was recorded in San Francisco's Grace Cathedral possessed the desired decay time while saxophonist/flautist Gerry Mulligan and Bud Shank played while roaming freely around the cathedral!

Now, where or where are those QUAD analogue master tapes?

I did read some years ago, Fizzy, that Gandharva was recorded Quadraphonically expressly to show off the new technology and that side two which was recorded in San Francisco's Grace Cathedral possessed the desired decay time while saxophonist/flautist Gerry Mulligan and Bud Shank played while roaming freely around the cathedral!

Now, where or where are those QUAD analogue master tapes?

What I really like is that "Montrose" contributed , alongside all those jazz luminaries .

What I really like is that "Montrose" contributed , alongside all those jazz luminaries .
Not to mention jazz great Ray Brown on bass and besides Montrose, Mike Bloomfield and Howard Roberts on guitars as well and Clydie King and Patrice Holloway contributing vocals.

Quite a Who's Who assortment of 'session players!'

I don't want to be chastized here for saying this, but the facts about the B & K albums quad status is available 'elsewhere'
What facts are you referring to ? I have listened to the QS copy and the supposed EV and the facts I have seen don't seem to hold up.

Sorry I can't tell you as I don't know the answer. And DS is no longer with us. All I know is the transfers he did had EV source listed.

Back