Beaver and Krause Gandharva Japanese QS LP Report

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a Japan only QS Quadraphonic pressing in a gatefold sleeve record jacket with an Obi and Quadrasonic sticker on the front. All the USA pressings were mixed as EV Quadraphonic pressings but not marked as such on the record jackets or on the record labels. This Japanese Quadraphonic pressing has green records labels as did the first USA pressings with both the red artwork record jacket and the blue artwork record jacket. The red artwork pressings with the palm tree labels are a an early 70's repress and not the actual first edition. The original red artwork record jackets all had the green Warner Bros. record labels the same as the Japanese pressing. The promo Japanese pressing has blue Warner Bros. record labels.

Sorry I can't tell you as I don't know the answer. And DS is no longer with us. All I know is the transfers he did had EV source listed.Japanese antastic QS Quadraphonic 4 channel separation when compared to the USA EV Quadraphonic 4 channel separation. The USA EV pressings are more of a surround sound while the Japanese QS Quadraphonic 4 channel separation is much more distinct. You know you are listening to a 4 channel record when processed through a QS or RM matrix system.

If I had an EV version I would....but so far no sign of it. UK LP is not EV. Its bog standard stereo. Jap LP is QS Quadpressinghe Japanese antastic QS Quadraphonic 4 channel separation when compared to the USA EV Quadraphonic 4 channel separation. The USA EV pressings are more of a surround sound while the Japanese QS Quadraphonic 4 channel separation is much more distinct. You know you are listening to a 4 channel record when processed through a QS or RM matrix system.

The Japanese quad pressing has fantastic QS Quadraphonic 4 channel separation when compared to the USA EV Quadraphonic 4 channel separation. The USA EV pressings are more of a surround sound while the Japanese QS Quadraphonic 4 channel separation is much more distinct. You know you are listening to a 4 channel record when processed through a QS or RM matrix system.

I own a Japan only QS Quadraphonic pressing in a gatefold sleeve record jacket with an Obi and Quadrasonic sticker on the front. All the USA pressings were mixed as EV Quadraphonic pressings but not marked as such on the record jackets or on the record labels. This Japanese Quadraphonic pressing has green records labels as did the first USA pressings with both the red artwork record jacket and the blue artwork record jacket. The red artwork pressings with the palm tree labels are a an early 70's repress and not the actual first edition. The original red artwork record jackets all had the green Warner Bros. record labels the same as the Japanese pressing. The promo Japanese pressing has blue Warner Bros. record labels.
Have you heard the non Japanese pressings play back in Quad? I have a UK copy and it has no discernable EV encoding. It does not reproduce what's on the Japanese LP when played back through an EV decoder.

After reading the billboard article I posted a link too, it appears their was never any intent to release Gandharva in a matrix format upon initial release. I am not at home this week so don't have access to other files but assume the mentioning of quad in the liner notes and the time period of the releases might lead some folks to think the LP's were matrixed encoded. Since Richard has compared the UK and Japan issues and notes a noticeable difference I think that would indicate one being encoded and the other not encoded instead of a difference in the matrix system used. Just my thoughts for now and look forward to others to weigh in so corrections if needed can be made to the discography.

If I had an EV version I would....but so far no sign of it. UK LP is not EV. Its bog standard stereo. Jap LP is QS Quad
As i have previously mentioned, the EV decode was made availble, which is what i have, so it's available.......

After reading the billboard article I posted a link too, it appears their was never any intent to release Gandharva in a matrix format upon initial release. I am not at home this week so don't have access to other files but assume the mentioning of quad in the liner notes and the time period of the releases might lead some folks to think the LP's were matrixed encoded. Since Richard has compared the UK and Japan issues and notes a noticeable difference I think that would indicate one being encoded and the other not encoded instead of a difference in the matrix system used. Just my thoughts for now and look forward to others to weigh in so corrections if needed can be made to the discography.
There is an article, with pictures, covering the recording sessions, and it is stated in that article the album will be released using the new EV-4 system. Just can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

As i have previously mentioned, the EV decode was made availble, which is what i have, so it's available.......
If you are referring to an OD decode, they can be so good you would think they came from a encoded source but that is not always the case.

If you are referring to an OD decode, they can be so good you would think they came from a encoded source but that is not always the case.
I don't know, but if you go through the posts related to EV, then there's information that must of taken time to put together, and dare i mention the CBS matrix, the best i've ever heard.
I'm sensing that people here don't look beyond this place, not unlike a large african bird. To apreciate life it's neccassery to look beyond ones garden gate.

I don't know, but if you go through the posts related to EV, then there's information that must of taken time to put together, and dare i mention the CBS matrix, the best i've ever heard.
I'm sensing that people here don't look beyond this place, not unlike a large african bird. To apreciate life it's neccassery to look beyond ones garden gate.
Hello!
There's a place beyond this place, just beyond my garden gate?
Not mocking your post, but that's poetry, yes?
I don't know what the bird is though.

Enjoying this thread. Been a while since I've seen such drive to find a definitive answer. I ran across the US version for a fair price some years ago and should've bought it. At the time I had a Marantz 2230, and with adjustment of the dimension knob and the right volume, everything was quad surround.

Here are my two cents, based on what I had read and was doing in 1970.

- In 1969, I read of the existence of the Scheiber system.

- In July 1970, I read about the Hafler Diamond and the (incorrect) encode and decode equations (they weren't normalized).

- Also on the same day in July, I normalized the Hafler equations and also made a prediction of the Scheiber system equations.

- In September 1970, I read the encode and decode equations of the Scheiber system. I was right.

- Also in September, I deduced that the Scheiber and Hafler systems were actually the same thing, with the only difference being the speaker placement and angles of encoding and decoding angles. They could play each other's recordings.

- In November 1970, I encoded my first recording intended to be played on these systems.

- I first read of the EV system in January 1971.

- Sansui sent me a description of the QS system later in 1971. I have the original, but there is no date on it.

- I also heard that EV was working on a pickup cartridge to read the 4 channels off the record. I never heard any more about that.

So in late 1970, someone could have made an encoded recording.

Last edited:
I tried accessing their website with NO success ........To have all three B&K albums in DVD~Audio would be a dream!

Which probably infers that Beaver and Krause have control of their QUAD analogue masters and perhaps NOT WEA!

Any further info would be MOST appreciated.

Thank you takicat for posting this
My apologies to the administrator of this site. I have never really posted before and I tried to post images that show information on the Dreaming Spires transfers of these recordings I have heard. I was unawre that such images were not allowed on theis site.
The Dreaming Spires site shut down a long time ago with his passing.
To the other members, please forgive me if talking about "unofficial" versions of recordings is not something that should be discussed in this forum.
The Gandharva and All Good Men transfers are noted as EV-4 and In A Wild Sanctuary is noted as "A Dreaming-Spires QuadraphonicRelease Decoded From EV-4 Using 'Centaur' "

I've been a huge fan of In A Wild Santuary since its initial release and I stumbled on these "unofficial" versions some years ago.
All I can say is that to my ears they sound great in quad.

My apologies to the administrator of this site. I have never really posted before and I tried to post images that show information on the Dreaming Spires transfers of these recordings I have heard. I was unawre that such images were not allowed on theis site.
The Dreaming Spires site shut down a long time ago with his passing.
To the other members, please forgive me if talking about "unofficial" versions of recordings is not something that should be discussed in this forum.
The Gandharva and All Good Men transfers are noted as EV-4 and In A Wild Sanctuary is noted as "A Dreaming-Spires QuadraphonicRelease Decoded From EV-4 Using 'Centaur' "

I've been a huge fan of In A Wild Santuary since its initial release and I stumbled on these "unofficial" versions some years ago.
All I can say is that to my ears they sound great in quad.
Sounds great however until we know the source we can't be sure these are genuine rather than created by someone. The main point here is are the vinyl releases outside of Japan EV encoded. The UK one is not (I tried it on an EV decoder) Anyone tried the US vinyl ?

Back