Beaver and Krause Gandharva Japanese QS LP Report

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread, but a lot of rambling on and on!

I would guess that Fizzy is right and the Japanese LP is RM encoded (for all intents and purposes close enough to QS).

As for some copies being EV-4 that might also be possible. I have never heard this release in any form but you guys have peaked my interest. Remember that EV-4 is very close to RM. Decoding via a real EV-4 decoder will reveal nothing, that decoder/system was designed mainly to get decent surround from stereo, it's decode coefficients don't even match the encode coefficients. It would be hard to tell an EV encode from a QS or RM one using a Stereo-4 decoder.

What is this about the passing of Dreaming Spires? I take it you mean OD's blog not Richard himself! OD is very much alive and has "released" many more titles via his new blog.

The Matrix
Yes a lot of rambling on based on nothing other than guesswork. It decodes in QS. If I get time I'll describe the mix (instrument positions) My son speaks Japanese so will ask him to translate the sleeve.

Last edited:
Yes a lot of rambling on based on nothing other than guesswork unfortunately. Having worked in the music industry for 30 years including work on a number of major reissue projects I prefer to look at physical facts such as tapes and records. The LP decodes in QS. I will decribe the mix (ie whats positioned in each channel and how it moves around in the siubd field) in this thread shortly.

Last edited:
So i take it your not up for doing a proper test between your Jap QS copy, and an unknown parentage copy of EV encoded?
I have already compared the QS Jap v supposed EV. I don't have the unknown parentage copy you refer to. So far only Quad on the Jap copy as expected. I will describe the mix here shortly.

Troll any more and I'll report you
It would be interesting to know why after 4 offers to get together to deal with the issue of EV and QS versions of the album in question, you completely ignore them, while at the same time you continue banging on about it.

It's not just me that's questioning what exactly your up to.

And please, do report me, let a moderator look at your posts, surely the main reason we are here is to sort out these matrix issues?

It would be interesting to know why after 4 offers to get together to deal with the issue of EV and QS versions of the album in question, you completely ignore them, while at the same time you continue banging on about it.

It's not just me that's questioning what exactly your up to.

And please, do report me, let a moderator look at your posts, surely the main reason we are here is to sort out these matrix issues?
My replies have been civil. Yours haven't.

@Richard A @Francis Drake both of you are skating on thin ice. You've contributed nothing to this board except to spend a week splitting the thinnest of hairs in this one single thread, acting churlishly and being rude to each other and other users.

Any more from either of you can find somewhere else to grind your axes.

It might be possible that the Japanese QS is actually EV-4 encoded. Decoding with a Vario-matrix or Involve decoder it would be hard to tell for sure, both would sound very good. As for those releases that don't decode well we can assume that they are all stereo.

Early releases didn't always state the encoding system that was employed. Sansui wanted a royalty if mention of or if the QS logo was used. I think that QM (or maybe QX) was the Japanese equivalent of EV-4, one record sleeve (in Japanese) even shows the EV Stereo-4 logo on it!

I would like to get my hands on that Japanese pressing tough regardless of the encoding system used!

@Richard A @Francis Drake both of you are skating on thin ice. You've contributed nothing to this board except to spend a week splitting the thinnest of hairs in this one single thread, acting churlishly and being rude to each other and other users.

Not a problem, although i don't agree.

I'll not attempt any help from now on.

It might be possible that the Japanese QS is actually EV-4 encoded. Decoding with a Vario-matrix or Involve decoder it would be hard to tell for sure, both would sound very good. As for those releases that don't decode well we can assume that they are all stereo.

Early releases didn't always state the encoding system that was employed. Sansui wanted a royalty if mention of or if the QS logo was used. I think that QM (or maybe QX) was the Japanese equivalent of EV-4, one record sleeve (in Japanese) even shows the EV Stereo-4 logo on it!

I would like to get my hands on that Japanese pressing tough regardless of the encoding system used!
Glad to know there's someone with some common sense here :unsure:

Somebody needs to release the film they shot during the sessions, mixed in surround with the original quad mix.

I'm listening to the UK stereo pressing & it's really good. I can only imagine how great the cathedral sounds in surround.

And then Atmos. Check out the mic placement in the Cathedral. If the multitracks exist this would be an ideal Atmos showcase recording:

REPCathedralFigure1.jpg

Somebody needs to release the film they shot during the sessions, mixed in surround with the original quad mix.

I'm listening to the UK stereo pressing & it's really good. I can only imagine how great the cathedral sounds in surround.
The studio stuff is pretty crazy in Quad on the Japanese LP. The synths at the start of the album come from the rear and fly out into the distance in the front speakers. On the Saga of The Blue Beaver the electric guitar jam is really intense with those synth sounds ping ponging all around the mix. The Cathedral recordings sound huge and there is much more deep bass on the organ. I really hope Rhino do this on Quadio. I have no seen the film. Is it online?

Mystified as to how I contributed nothing? I posted the thread! It was a report on the QS LP I own that as far as I can see has never been posted here before. If I have been rude to anyone I will apologise. There is however a clear distinction between a debate and offensive language. Since when was a debate on a forum.an issue no matter how many hairs it split?. I don't agree with Francis Drake that non Japanese versions of this album are Quad because they don't decode as Quad and I own copies and can directly compare with an actual Japanese Quad LP. Nothing wrong with that. At no point was I offensive until his posts became offensive in tone and language. If you actually read the thread he started making derogatory comments and I merely objected. That's it. Where was I rude to other users ? Say where and to whom and I'll happily apologise.

Last edited:
Back