Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last seconds of APB are cut if you play the song from the Blu-ray. When ripping it, they are there, if it recall correctly
I remember some of these comments now. The dripping water runs longer than any vinyl version I've heard. The vinyl versions start "looping" in the leadout groove before the end of the recording on the bluray. It sounded like someone was claiming to have heard a unique longer version. It's easy to laugh and suggest someone didn't notice the looping?

Then it's the 'sniff' removed in WYWH, right?
I just remember the Q8 copies being an exercise in tape hiss study. The encoded vinyl versions were mutilated beyond being able to hear any of the mix. The bluray was pretty welcome to me.

The theory that this was missed originally and they finally fixed it (just like they did the stereo mix) actually seems reasonable. That someone would have edited it to make it match the stereo and 5.1 mixes just to put it in the same program on the disc image... It would have been less work for a lazy person to just put it in a separate program on the very same disc. The menu generation would have been the same work. No good reason even in laziness. This would have been pure trashy.

That vinyl version with the end of side 2 cutting in at the end of side 1 program is a very obvious unintentional mistake. The downplayed and never since released 8-track version of Pigs On The Wing sounds seat of the pants. This seems like a genuinely creative aside they decided to throw out there even if Snowy's solo was a bit spontaneous and not A-game level.

There was some trashy stuff going on with tapes back then. At the least US releases I remember. Often dictation quality fidelity to begin with. The 8-track program change punching in the middle of a song. Or the alternate version that really amped up the insulting factor by fading the music out, then the punch, then the music fades back in already in progress and you miss that whole section. Or the cassette tapes where they would fade out a song in progress at the end of a side and fade it in on the other side. Again, already in progress. Can't be wasting blank tape at the end of a side, you know! Or even drop songs! I remember seeing a version of Umma-gumma with 3 of the live tracks omitted. You'd swear they were bootlegs but these were official releases.

Supposed to be talking about The Wall here, shit!

But this time they're releasing that mythological "multi wall 🧱" for real or we're just speculating as we been doing ever since? 😁

What editing was done to the quad mix on the Immersion boxset? That's the only version of the WYWH quad I have.
The original quad version included a few extra bars in the second half of SoYCD right before the "funky" bit (sorry, I can't say exactly which of the IX parts it is, though if you made me guess I'd say part VIII).

If you know the album really well and have memorized where one part segues into another, it's a bit shocking because the "outgoing" part continues on for a few additional seconds before the transition to the next. It's not exactly life-altering or essential, it's just a fun little extra bit of music.

Kinda like getting a few more frames of Leonard Rossiter in 2001: A Space Odyssey on the original 4k pressings because whoever did the transfer overlooked the fact that the shot was supposed to fade out.

The original quad version included a few extra bars in the second half of SoYCD right before the "funky" bit (sorry, I can't say exactly which of the IX parts it is, though if you made me guess I'd say part VIII).

If you know the album really well and have memorized where one part segues into another, it's a bit shocking because the "outgoing" part continues on for a few additional seconds before the transition to the next. It's not exactly life-altering or essential, it's just a fun little extra bit of music.

Kinda like getting a few more frames of Leonard Rossiter in 2001: A Space Odyssey on the original 4k pressings because whoever did the transfer overlooked the fact that the shot was supposed to fade out.
Just from memory, I recall that the wind transition out of the title track was different, the final part of Shine On also appears after Welcome to the Machine and there’s a slightly different solo or two.

Back