Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I had picked up the same conversion with dtswavs and no .txt file--as I recall it was 454 Mb--probably still around. So this thing was definitely packaged and repackaged over time. Someone who repackaged obviously stuck that erroneous text file in there probably thinking that the same basic information applied to WYWH. I'd be willing to bet it's Tab's conversion, but I don't get paid to make those kinds of decisions ;)

hello!

I'm a new member here and actually found this whole forum when I searched info w/ google on Wish You Were Here quadraphonic releases. Interesting discussion you have here! I'm a long time fan of Pink Floyd and especially Wish You Were Here -album. Some time ago I managed to get the original UK quad LP for WYWH and RoIO called "Wish You Were Here - Quad Mix And Deff Mix 2CD":

http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-cd/quad_deff_wish.cd.html

As mentioned on the link above, you should play those 2CDs on two separate stereos to get the quad effect. I managed to set them up put turns out the 2 CDs are probably made from tapes that run at different speed so it's impossible to synchronize the CDs. The UK LP I bought was real deal, in pretty good condition and when I got it, I actually listened to it eyes closed and got a completely new experience of WYWH (after 15 years of listening to cd). Needless to say, now the regular CD version won't do anymore =)

I'm also a sound entusiastic but yet to buy full 5.1 sound system so I'm glad I found this forum. The question I have is: are DVD-AUDIO discs playable on some computer program? I don't have DVD-A player...

Last edited:
Hello Matildadamother! I'm also qiute newbie here. If you're able to manage to get a blu-ray disc capable surround system then I hope within a short time you can enjoy all the available and valuable surround conversions of WYWH on a blu-ray audio disc. I'm authoring this 35th anniversary bootleg compilation in the framework of a mutual project of google SurroundSound group, Surround DC Hub, QQ, and SBU. The BD-A disc is almost ready, we are waiting for ArmyOfQuad's Q8 conversion and for Tab finding his Q8 transfer in lossless if it still exists at all. Some info about the compiled conversions: http://groups.google.com/group/surroundsound/browse_thread/thread/9e764ec35621ec37/3b0457f0a51cb2ac

I've heard the DSD masters for this and they do exist and sound wonderful. I was told they were due out this year but apparently Floyd's new record label deal has impacted that.

Dear Quad Gurus,
Can you tell me please if WYWH was ever released on Quad-8 tape in the UK? I found info about it here: http://www.pinkfloydarchives.com/DUK8t.htm#WYWHq
Vernon Fitch from pinkfloydarchives just confirmed in his email that it was released indeed. What misled me and possibly others is that the sleeve doesn't have the text "quadraphonic tape" below the EMI logo.

Sorry, but this was not released in quad. The reason that the text does not appear on the sleeve is because it is not quad. Have him show you a scan of the cart with the notch.

This Q8 was a USA release only. If someone can prove that it exists, let them do it. Until then, it does not.

Here's a peek at another 2 UK EMI 8 tracks that were supposedly quad. These were from an eBay auction from the UK at few years ago. Note that the two supposedly EMI quad tapes look exactly like the alleged PF WYWH tape. When the seller for these 4 tapes was questioned about the actual tapes, he looked and indeed they were stereo.

EMI Q8s have SILVER tops. EMI Stereo tapes have GOLD tops.

As much as I would love to have a UK Q8 of WYWH, Mind Games, and RINGO, they do not exist.

Attachments

• apples.jpg
    apples.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 791
  • darksidefront.jpg
    darksidefront.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 810
Thank you Jon. Yes, I agree, we should not believe in the existence of the UK Q8 tape until someone proves it.

Here is the statement from the (Pink Floyd A Fleeting Glimpse) website;

Wish You Were Here SACD

We have received hundreds of emails over the years (Since 2005 in fact when we first broke the story of the possibility the WYWH SACD after having dinner with Pink Floyd's then Manager, who told AFG that at that time it was a 'very low priority'). Time has passed and we have been keeping a very careful ear to the ground about this release and can now tell you that it's finally on it's way. No date as yet, but be prepared for a BIG surprise when it finally does surface. Please don't email about this because we have told you all we can at this point.

Thanks ingresman for the update!

Wouldn't that be something if this thing ever saw the light of day? Probably a longer wait than even "Running On Empty".

The way things have been I am doubtful it'll get released anytime soon, but just in case... Could someone refresh my memory... Has WYWH already been remixed in 5.1 and is it just sitting in the can somewhere? Or does it still need to be mixed for 5.1? Or would it be the 4.0 quad mix they'd use?

(EDIT: I, too, would think Blu-Ray might be the way to go nowadays. Though a DVDV+hybrid MCH-SACD would do just nicely, too.)

Well if it's supposed to be a BIG surprise, how about a 2 disk set? A stereo SHM-SACD and a multi-channel SHM-SACD.

... Could someone refresh my memory... Has WYWH already been remixed in 5.1 and is it just sitting in the can somewhere? Or does it still need to be mixed for 5.1? Or would it be the 4.0 quad mix they'd use?

I can't recall the source but the 5.1 mix was done by James Guthrie and has been ready to go for quite a while now.

If it's a BIG surprise I want Animals, Meddle, Piper and A Saucerful of Secrets in the package too. They have certainly had enough time...

The sad thing is, if this really comes out, it will be available at the "usual places" so fast it will probably be there quicker than it's in the stores. That's what it's come to these days, and that's probably one of the big reasons we see so little stuff released.

That being said, I would be that most of our membership will buy the disc.

Back