Pioneer UDP-LX500: A New Oppo Substitute?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
Haven't seen this posted anywhere on here, but I just discovered a new possible Oppo replacement; the Pioneer UDP-LX500 . 4K, Bluray, DVD-video, Dolby Vision, HDR 10 (with a promise of a firmwear update to HDR 10+), DVD-Audio, SACD, CD (but like the last Oppos, no HDCD support), and hires files via USB (doesn't say what type files nor if multi channel or not). All for under $1K. Of course there's no excellent Oppo customer support :>( . Also no multichannel output except through HDMI. The link below refers to two additional links of test reviews, and both mention an "Oppo replacement". Haven't seen any tests in the magazines though. Anything in the pipeline coming from Sterephile, Kal?

https://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/products/udp-lx500#

And a little bit on this thread...

over here
I went into the owner's manual and found out it WILL play back multichannel files of PCM and DSD from USB. I also notice a blurb on DualDiscs, that it will only play the DVD side, not the CD side, AND one side may get scratched by the player!

Reactions: GOS
Haven't seen this posted anywhere on here, but I just discovered a new possible Oppo replacement; the Pioneer UDP-LX500 . 4K, Bluray, DVD-video, Dolby Vision, HDR 10 (with a promise of a firmwear update to HDR 10+), DVD-Audio, SACD, CD (but like the last Oppos, no HDCD support), and hires files via USB (doesn't say what type files nor if multi channel or not). All for under $1K. Of course there's no excellent Oppo customer support :>( . Also no multichannel output except through HDMI. The link below refers to two additional links of test reviews, and both mention an "Oppo replacement". Haven't seen any tests in the magazines though. Anything in the pipeline coming from Sterephile, Kal?

https://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/products/udp-lx500#

Sadly, it seems that manufacturers of new players no longer wish to support MC analog outputs. By doing so, they are refusing to support legacy processors/receivers and forcing us to buy all new stuff. :LOL::LOL::LOL: I suspect their mantra is that analog inputs/outputs are old tech and all washed up. So, is this a New Oppo Substitute? No, because it can't do as much. Hey, why don't we ask this famous quarterback to substitute for old, washed up Tom Brady:

Charlie Brown.png

Sadly, it seems that manufacturers of new players no longer wish to support MC analog outputs. By doing so, they are refusing to support legacy processors/receivers and forcing us to buy all new stuff. :LOL::LOL::LOL: I suspect their mantra is that analog inputs/outputs are old tech and all washed up. So, is this a New Oppo Substitute? No, because it can't do as much. Hey, why don't we ask this famous quarterback to substitute for old, washed up Tom Brady:

View attachment 37756

I know there are those who will argue that analog is always better, etc. But I wouldn't be bumming about this so much if: a) more AVRs were set up to handle DSD over HDMI and/or b) more AVRs had DACs at least as good as that in my Oppo. But until those conditions are met: gimme my RCA inputs!

I know there are those who will argue that analog is always better, etc. But I wouldn't be bumming about this so much if: a) more AVRs were set up to handle DSD over HDMI and/or b) more AVRs had DACs at least as good as that in my Oppo. But until those conditions are met: gimme my RCA inputs!

Analog is always better when one's legacy receiver lacks HDMI and it's gotta last another ten years because it cost one a small fortune. Um...that would be me. o_O

Also, there seems to be a debate in the audio community about jitter over HDMI. (No matter how far we've come in audio we're always bandying about this and that.) Even Oppo has addressed digital jitter over HDMI and wrote:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/Understanding-the-HDMI-Audio-Jitter-Reduction-Circuit-OPPO-UDP-205.html

So I hope that the Pioneers and Sonys of the world have also addressed the issue of HDMI jitter. Perhaps it's better to stick with a trusty old Oppo and its washed-up analog outputs then gamble on another HDMI-only machine. But I gotta admit that the Sony X800 is great value for the money.

This looks like it may fit the bill. Any idea on the pricing?

Its predecessor could be had for under USD 200 if you kept an eye on the specials (at Best Buy and its ilk)--especially reconditioned and open box models. I've been using one happily and fairly heavily for over six months now, saving my Oppo for special occasions...

This looks like it may fit the bill. Any idea on the pricing?

No, but waiting for pricing and availability, I'll speculate maybe spring time and around $399.00 retail, cheaper later on.

MwkMSQA.jpg

Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

HDR10 & Dolby Vision

Playback Capability

DISC: Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray Audio, BD-ROM, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Double Layer, CD (CD-DA), CD-R / -RW

VIDEO FORMAT: HEVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts), VP9 (.webm, .mkv), VP8 (.webm, .mkv), VP6 (.flv), MPEG-1 Video / PS (.mpg .MPEG, .mkv) [.VOB, .VRO], MPEG-2 Video / PS, TS ( .mpg.MPEG, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv) [.VOB, .VRO], MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts), MPEG-4 / AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv), Xvid (.avi, .mkv), WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv), AVCHD Disc Format, VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv), Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi)

AUDIO FORMAT: AAC (.AAC, .mka), HEAAC v.1 / v.2 / level 2, WMA9 Standard (.WMA), LPCM (.mka, .wav), DSD - DSDIFF / DSD (.dff, .dsf), FLAC (.flac, .fla), AIFF (.aiff, .aif), ALAC (.m4a), Dolby Digital (.ac3, .mka), WMA10 Pro, Vorbis, MP3 (.mp3, .mka), AAC (.m4a), Monkey's Audio

PHOTO FORMAT: JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), GIF (.gif), PNG (.png), MPO MPF 3D (.mpo), BMP (.bmp)

Picture and Audio Features

PICTURE FEATURE: HDR, HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDR to SDR conversion, 4K Upscale (60p), Deep color (12 bit), 24p True Cinema, BRAVIA Mode

CERTIFIED HI-RES AUDIO: Yes

DOLBY: Dolby Atmos (bitstream out) / Dolby TrueHD decoding (7.1ch)

DTS®: DTS: X (bitstream out) / DTS decoding (7.1ch)

DSEE HX: Yes

BLUETOOTH®: Bluetooth TX, LDAC

Network

WI-FI® BUILT IN: Yes (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz)

WI-FI® MIMO: Yes

FEATURES: DMP (Digital Media Player), DMR (Digital Media Renderer)

STREAMING: 4K streaming, 3D Streaming (No 3D content)

Terminals

INPUT AND OUTPUT: HDMI Output(s): 2 (Rear), Coaxial Audio Output(s): 1 (Rear), USB Input(s): 1 (Front), Ethernet Connection(s): 1 (Rear)

Can't wait!

Regards,

Last edited:
Looks good I would've kept my X1000ES if it had Dolby Vision, have 3 players and need to decide which to sell and what to keep. And probably pick up the X800M2 over the Pioneer Elite LX500. The dinosaur analog options are gone, even though my Marantz reciever has them also. I'll just have to use my older Yamaha DVD-Audio, Sacd player if needed.🤔 and I have components on the receiver 🤔 but all those cable's again 😱 nope I'll stick with the HDMI......Ha.......

Looks good I would've kept my X1000ES if it had Dolby Vision, have 3 players and need to decide which to sell and what to keep. And probably pick up the X800M2 over the Pioneer Elite LX500. The dinosaur analog options are gone, even though my Marantz reciever has them also. I'll just have to use my older Yamaha DVD-Audio, Sacd player if needed.🤔 and I have components on the receiver 🤔 but all those cable's again 😱 nope I'll stick with the HDMI......Ha.......
Receiver/processors with mutichannel inputs are also required for those of us that need to input legacy Quad formats, not just 4K/BR/DVD/SACD players

There's a rumor of a X1100ES coming down the pike from Sony, and other models as well.

Hardware makers are being pushed hard to eliminate analog ports beyond stereo by some content owners and I believe the HDMI consortium, who see the analog hole as a lingering annoyance. Nothing to do with being flashy per se.

t has now been a full year since Oppo Digital ceased production of its popular Ultra HD Blu-ray player lineup. Up until that point, Oppo was one of the few high- performance player options in a market concentrated on budget models packed with streaming features. We've since seen a few companies step up to fill the high-end player void, among them Pioneer, a company that produced numerous reference-level players back in the regular Blu-ray and DVD days. Pioneer's new offering, the UDP-LX500, is a universal disc player that supports playback of SACD and DVD-Audio discs. As you might expect, it sports both the Pioneer Elite logo and the high-end look and build associated with that iconic badge. At $1,099, it certainly has flagship pricing, so let's see if it measures up.
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...-hd-blu-ray-player-review#5ww5iseKA7d9Q0yP.99

Back