DVD/DTS Poll Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (Limited Edition) [DTS DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Porcupine Tree - FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET

• Total voters
Okay I gave this a 10. Had thought of giving it a 9 because it's more a no frills mix without the Elliot Scheiner skillset. Then I realized that would be an 11. :)

I give it a 9. Great music, whatever for the statement. They say great art is open to many interpretations and I happen to agree with that. However, I don't think Steven had other interpretations in mind when he wrote this. He is trying to make a point, I just don't feel it all that compelling. With the state of the world I'd be more worried if people were letting this all happen with a clear mind, at least drugs offer us an excuse. Reality, after all, is for people who cannot handle drugs. And at what time more than now is that statement more valid? I guess that I've never given much attention to Steven's lyrics. But, I think he is capable of more. Also, at low volumes, like when you are trying to listen when others are sleeping, the DTS track suffers from poor dynamics and a little murkiness. Why not make it a DVD-A now with an extended version DVD-A later in the year? One point off for that.

So, how does it rate a 9? Musically it is fantastic. The mix is also excellent. In the end I really don't care what Steven sings about, I'm just in a pissy mood because I was paying attention to reality earlier this morning - rookie mistake ;) Buy it, you'll like it!

All good points; rarely has a reality generated such a need for drugs!

I'm glad that Steve's confidence about singing improves with every release. In fact, vocals might have been pushed up atad on the Stupid Dream remix and it works for me. It could be a grocery list but if melodically pleasing....

The lyrics are earnest no doubt, but always seem somewhat secondary in the art created by this band. There's no pretense that Peter Gabriel or Bob Dylan (or your favorite) are in this band.

As a musician, I certainly appreciate lyrics but the creative interplay of the instruments working towards a common goal (song) or mutually exclusive aims (jams) is most important to me. That is their primary strength.

Overall, magnificent musically and maybe they've done better on the lyrics in the past. A strong effort nonetheless.

As to the general theme being done before, of course that's true. This is simply Steven's take as a commentary on society. We've heard Pete Townshend and Roger Waters write about these feelings or lack there of. Steve has created a unique update as to the causes of social nihilism, neglect, apathy, boredom and describes symptoms in full sway. Pardon me for leaving out any writers that you find insight (incite)-ful.

Reminds me of all the drugs advertised on TV every single day. "Our need to sell you a pill for every conceivable complaint outweighs any concerns for public safety. And the industry watchdogs to keep you safe work for us too."

Perhaps Fear Of A Blank Planet is really a preview of coming attractions?

I will admit there are a few great lines here though. Whenever I hear Bush or some other religious leader talking on tv I always chuckle as I remember the line about tv and "I'm basking in the shit flowing out of it." When you think about it, maybe Steven is trying to point out that exposure leads to contamination. Watching tv is akin to bathing in sewage. Better to kill your television and listen to some tunes :smokin

I was reading on Dark Matter and someone said something to the effect that we're all pretending that Robert Fripp's soundscape is brilliant but that we have no idea what sounds he actually made. I have to admit that every time I hear the tune I wonder which parts were his. Anybody know?

Based upon sales and demand for their previous DVDA releases they should have made the same arrangements for the new release.
Funny you say that, because that's exactly what is being done...
There is an normal CD, and a special edition with booklet and DVD-V (with DTS). The DVD-A will (AFAIK) not be limited, but will be released some months later. Just as with Deadwing.:eek:
BTW did you notice that they still have stocks of the Deadwing Special Edition ... once the DVD-A was there (cheaper and with bonus tracks and all) the demand dropped.

I'm not font of "Limited Edtions" but a lot of fans (of many bands) seem to crave for them. SW himself is a passionate CD and Vinyl collector, so he knows how other collectors feel. It's a thin line between giving them something special and speculating E-bay buyers kicking in.
From a record company point of view, Special Editions (or Box sets) should sell-out and it is tried not to let them land in the Sales bin. "Buy while you can" helps to warrant the premium price:rolleyes:.

edit: I had forgotten to read the second page of this thread, well my 2c anyway

Last edited:
Good comments all around.

As to the B-Slug's question about Fripp's soundscape contribution, I believe the main soundscapes section is from 6:11 almost to the very end at 7:37.

It sounds like an ascending strings pad; not that brilliant but very supportive of the song. It may show up in quite parts sooner but the later part is for sure.

Also of note in the same tune is the cross-picking section that is very Crimson-ish, reminiscent of the Gamelean sounds used on Discipline. I have to wonder if Fripp is playing the other half of that or SW overdubbed the counterpoint guitar as well.

This "Poll" thread has really gotten to be a mess. As much as I can understand people's frustrations about not being able to find the 5.1 surround version of this release, the poll section is NO PLACE for that discussion. Especially when there are more appropriate threads already started.

We would all be better served by limiting comments on this section to people who ALREADY have the disc. Any extended discussion on finding and buying the CD/DVD-V would be best made in one of these threads:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7529&highlight=fear+blank+planet

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7621&highlight=fear+blank+planet

As to the B-Slug's question about Fripp's soundscape contribution, I believe the main soundscapes section is from 6:11 almost to the very end at 7:37.

Thanks, I probably would never have guessed. It sounds like something Richard would be playing.

What do people think of Alex Lifeson's guitar solo? It certainly doesn't stand out like an Adrian Belew solo. I think it fits in perfectly. Not being a big Rush fan I wouldn't have guessed who did the solo if I hadn't known. It is obviously not SW's work, so I think that it does add quite a bit to the track.

Happy listening :phones

Well, I'll say it. Steven & PT are doing the right thing.

They could have stuck to their guns and did DVD-A only.

OR they could have put out this release which will grab a much larger audience. Those out there with (OMG) only "surround sound" systems. This is still PT at their best. Should they cater to us purists only? I think not.

PT is bringing surround out to the masses. I thank them, for this release and all that they have done for us.

MAYBE I'll get the hi-rez version - probably not.

This one is that good. :phones

Everybody - please do NOT use this thread for complaining that you cannot find this disc, complaining about no instant DVD-A etc.
This thread is for reviewing the disc only.
All other messages will be deleted.
There are 2 other threads at least discussing this record, and they will be the perfect place to vent your spleen.

I got the Limited Edition a few weeks ago (35€, bloody expensive, but at least I got one) and I think I'm just about ready to rate it.

Musically, this album is excellent. I especially enjoy Anesthetize and Way Out of Here. Anesthetize is definitely the best track on the album and quite possibly one of the best songs Porcupine Tree ever made. This 17-min-long piece is more "progressive" in the 70's prog-rock way, but it has these really really awesome metal riffs and rhythms. I love it. Way Out of Here is so emo it makes me cry (but not quite as emo as Heartattack in a Layby, which makes me weep like a baby).
Actually, the album feels like a whole which shouldn't be divided into its parts, so reviewing individual songs doesn't make much sense. As an album, it's quite an experience and it rates as the best album of 2007 so far. 'nuff said.

Conceptually, the album is too pessimistic for me to take it seriously. SW seems to have taken the exception and made it into the rule. Seriously, I know one "blank kid" in real life and that's where it ends. When I look around, I do not see a "blank generation", I see kids with different problems and different personalities. A lot of them follow "the trend" which seems to be about crappy R'n'B and the whole slutty attitude that goes with it, but "in my time" the same thing happened, only with a different trend. A few other kids are probably like the album describes them, but this disillusionment with the world, this feeling of alienation is not just a phenomenon of this generation but of ALL generations. It's normal to feel FUD when you're a teenager, it'll pass. SW's vision of the world strikes me as a typical midlife-crisis rant about "the kids these days".
Luckily, the lyrics aren't too obviously moralizing, so I don't get worked up like this every time I listen to the album.

As for the surround mix, it's very good, but I miss the aggressiveness of the In Absentia or Stupid Dream mixes. This one is more basic, more subtle, though there are some beautiful passages like the last part of Anesthetize.
I still think artists should start considering surround music as a whole new medium and not as a kind of "extended stereo". This mix is by no means too flat, but for my tastes it could have been more aggressive.

So, in the end I can't give this album a perfect 10, but it deserves at least a 9. Go and buy it! Support bands who make great surround music!

EDIT: Also, I was wondering why this thread isn't in the DTS & DD discs section instead. There's DTS on the disc and there isn't much "video" at all. Most other polls are about concert DVDs or documentaries, not about discs with only music. This also means that the people interested in DTS who only read the other subforum are missing out on this splendid record. >.>

Last edited:
I still think artists should start considering surround music as a whole new medium and not as a kind of "extended stereo". This mix is by no means too flat, but for my tastes it could have been more aggressive.

This is why Elliott Scheiner is head and shoulders above all others when it comes to 5.1 mixing. He understands it's a very big pallette and uses it.

EDIT: Also, I was wondering why this thread isn't in the DTS & DD discs section instead. There's DTS on the disc and there isn't much "video" at all. Most other polls are about concert DVDs or documentaries, not about discs with only music. This also means that the people interested in DTS who only read the other subforum are missing out on this splendid record. >.>

A very good point, and perhaps one that shows what is so wrong with the current marketing methods.
The reason it is in here is because it is a DVD-Video formatted disc.
The DTS section is for DTS-CD, as released by DTS Entertainments.
The whole thing is indeed confusing.

My copy arrived today from DeepDiscount.com. From all the grumbling around here about availability, I guess I'm one of the lucky few.

The packaging is very nice indeed. It is an open ended box, with 3 slide out sections inside. 1) The high quality 40 page booklet (with a book type binding) with lyrics, photos, and credits. 2) The CD, and 3) the DVD with 48/24 stereo tracks, and 5.1 DTS.

Like any new PT release, it will require many listens to arrive at any real conclusions. Too early to vote, but with two times through, I already love "Sleep Together," lush, complex sounds with great use of surrounds. Other initial impression favorites include, "Way Out Of Here," and "Anesthetize." I am definitely NOT a lyrics guy, so I don't get hung up on any of that.

Very cool how the still photos change with perfect timing to the music! Even the credits fade from one page to the next. Great job Neil! (How cool it must be, to be involved with projects like this)! Kudos.

I'm sure the DVDA will add more detail and clarity to the multichannel tracks. Why such a long delay between the CD and MLP releases is a bit of a mystery to me, especially when you take into consideration that the 5.1 mixing is already done. There must be a good reason for the delay.......just not sure what it is.

I can safely say that FOABP is another great one and should not be past up by anyone on this forum.
:sun

Dennis

Very cool how the still photos change with perfect timing to the music! Even the credits fade from one page to the next. Great job Neil! (How cool it must be, to be involved with projects like this)! Kudos.Dennis

couldn't agree more! at first i thought it was a fluke, but the more i paid attention to the monitor the more i began to notice how well-timed the changes were. adds a great touch to the overall presentation. i really like the musical flow of this cd, and i'm thinking part of that is due to this cool use of photographic imagery.

This is the only surround disc (other than concerts) that I turn the tv on for. Very well done!

Back