Power Acoustik PADVD-450 Half-Din In-Dash DVD Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proufo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Hello to all.

The main unit of my old Sherwood car system is about to fail completely. It's been acting up for a while now.

I'm considering this unit:

Power Acoustik PADVD-450 Half-Din In-Dash DVD Player

now that my wife has agreed she can use her iPod for radio, connected to the Sherwood decoder.

I understand someone here installed one of these units, perhaps branded differently, at one time.

Any caveats?

This is mainly for CDs, including of course DTS transfers of Quad recordings (CD-Rs). I'd love to listen to DTS DVDs too.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• 31CWPORRKvL__SS500_.jpg
    31CWPORRKvL__SS500_.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Proufo, unless they modified them, the Sherwood decoders won't do dts DVDs.
Many thanks, johnrd.

Can live without the DVD capabilities, but now I feel the Power Acoustik unit is perhaps too expensive if I can't listen to DTS DVDs.

Will consider it overnight.

Thanks again, John.

Luca, any idea if the KD-AVX77 also does DVD-Audio and they're simply no longer listing the feature?

i would stay away from power acoustic for a head unit they are more well known in the 12volt world for amps/crossovers/power caps. in my past experience mfgs who try to corner the 12v market by crossing into other areas usually fail miserably.

Was considering similar units - a long time ago - for the same solution, and gave up: these HH dvd platers do feature OPTICAL out, while the Sherwood has COAX in.
Better to remove the sherwood decoder and put inside a 1-din dvd player with dts.

Just stumbled across this one and i can't believe it... if it's true maybe we have all missed a dvd-a and sacd player.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9431_NESA-Vision-NSD-361.html

i doubt that player plays both sacd and dvd-a, as far as i know the only company that had immediate plans to release a "universal" 12v player at the time was pioneer, i was watching the company release reports almost daily then because i would have bought it immediatly. but you know the story. i have never even heard of sonicelectronic, you prob put your disc in and it disentegrates right in your dash

Was considering similar units - a long time ago - for the same solution, and gave up: these HH dvd platers do feature OPTICAL out, while the Sherwood has COAX in.
Better to remove the sherwood decoder and put inside a 1-din dvd player with dts.

Just stumbled across this one and i can't believe it... if it's true maybe we have all missed a dvd-a and sacd player.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9431_NESA-Vision-NSD-361.html
Right, but is there such a beast?

The one in your link has no DTS capabilities and is discontinued, as is the JVC, and the Sony has issues.

The Power Acoustik has digital coaxial out, and it's been around for a long time. One would expect they have sorted all bugs out, right?....

The one in your link has no DTS capabilities and is discontinued, as is the JVC, and the Sony has issues.

The Power Acoustik has digital coaxial out, and it's been around for a long time. One would expect they have sorted all bugs out, right?....

If it does have coax, go for it. From the description i've read in a couple of sites, however, it does says optical.

That's why i said "can't believe it"... reading that does play MLP and DSD made me think of a wild cut&paste, however there are thousand of players based on chipset that can do it (1397FE?) and would need only the appropriate firmware to work such a ting.

That's why i said "can't believe it"... reading that does play MLP and DSD made me think of a wild cut&paste, however there are thousand of players based on chipset that can do it (1397FE?) and would need only the appropriate firmware to work such a ting.
Many thanks for the pdf, winopener!

Could is be, so strange!, that the manufacturers don't believe there is a market for multichannel??

Back