Powerline Conditioners -- Advice?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relayer

I'm considering purchasing a powerline conditioner for my system, but I have a few concerns. I've been reading some reviews, and while most people suggest these devices provide good protection and some sonic improvements, others suggest they have a tendency to compress a system's dynamics.

Anyone have any experience with / thoughts on this?

Also, does anyone recommend any particular makes/models?

I've been looking most seriously at the Panamax 4400, 5100, or 5300 (depending on the price).

I don't personally know the models you mention, but any powerline conditioner is likely to give you some small general system improvements if you live in an area with mains picking up RFI. (if you don't, well the added protection is worth the effort, and it certainly won't do any harm to the sound) The net result of this should be an improvement in dynamics etc, not a worsening of the situation. All you are ultimately doing is removing RFI from the supply. Electricity (somewhat purer) still passes through the wire which is the point at the end of the day. This isn't black magic, though some manufacurers might wish you to think otherwise.
In the UK, Isotek make some nice, if (very) pricy conditioners, as do Russ Andrews if you want to stay 'Hifi'. Alternatively, look in your local Maplin or Radio Shack -you'll find things that do the same job (often better) for very reasonable outlay.
Good luck
Regards
Scott

I've been looking most seriously at the Panamax 4400, 5100, or 5300 (depending on the price).
about that i have heard good things about them sorry i have no other advice accually i have no clue what it is i just remeber listening to my friend ramble on and on about how he wanted one i think it was a 5100

I use two(2) Powervar 2.0 line conditioners on my system. The biggest difference I found was in my sub. It now runs very clean and the response appears to be better. I also have noticed that my amp appears to run very clean as well. A line conditioner wouldn't hurt. If anything it will help.

In my situation, running the washing machine or dryer really muddies up the sound! The W. always seems to be doing stuff like that.... :mad:@: I need a power conditioner!

I've been playing with the idea of running a dedicated line into the listening room and seeing if the power conditioner still helps. I suppose it depends on your electrical conditions - where you live, what else is on the same circuit as your system, etc.

I know of a guy who unplugs everything when playing his stereo. He says that he can hear interferance even when the microwave is plugged in and not running!

I've had two conditioners - and they both sound different. It would be great if you can try one out!

GaryP said:
I know of a guy who unplugs everything when playing his stereo. He says that he can hear interferance even when the microwave is plugged in and not running!

!

:confused:
Cat's ears!

I'm not sure a conditioner would do much about the washing machine... I had a problem with a "click" whenever my bar fridge switched on.

Got the Panamax 5100, and it minimized the click, but definitely didn't get rid of it. So my assumption would be that it wouldn't completely get rid of any ongoing interference, either.

A number of friends swear by the separate line option, but unfortunately that's just not an option for those of us living in apartments...

I have noticed noise from dimmer switches; any idea if these units help that?
Marc

Marcsten said:
I have noticed noise from dimmer switches; any idea if these units help that?
Marc

They'll help anything like that.
The only way to completely remove any highly stubborn power problems though is to go the extreme, (hellishly expensive) never-connected route -mains power continually charges a battery power supply, which feeds your gear. The power is therefore is as clean as the supply can mannage, though some aren't so great; unless you get the correct type, they'll make it worse, so read up. Take a look at the Eliot Sound Products website for some information generally on these matters.
There are one or two other things you can do to cut down on interference generally, none of them expensive either. This is more about external RFI than problems in the power itself, but worth trying. Forget the idea of replacement mains cables -they won't do anything at all (placebo effect again sadly). This doesn't stop you from fitting a couple of ferrite rings / clamps to it though, which is much more effective, and will cost at the most £3. Whilst you're at it, do the same thing for your interconnect (even if it is shielded, every little helps), and your speaker cables too. Cheap, and effective in high-noise areas. In addition; if your gear has removable power-cords, you can get replacement sockets for the machines (so long as you're happy with a soldering iron & they're out of warrenty that is...) with built in filters, which, coupled with a simple power conditioner at the other end, and some ferrite clamps on all cabling, might prove effective. Well, you can in Europe, so I imagine you can in North America and elsewhere too.

Back