Q8 Playback Woes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Hello -
I have a technical question about my quad 8 decks. I have 2 playback only decks, one a Miida, adn one a Toyo. They are both budget affairs and seem to both have the same problem. The Miida seems to work fine until you put in a tape, then it doesn't have the strength to move a tape. The Toyo was fine until last week when it began to warble, and slow to a stop also. Since the tapes are fine, not binding, I assume it is either a belt or a motor or both. Any ideas how to find a belt for either of these units or a motor? Any help would be appreciated.
Marc

Belts may still be available at an electronics supply house. (not rat shack) If it's the motor, hang it up. if it is a round or square belt, exact thickness is crucial. They will know how to measure it if you have the old belt. Flat belts are not as critical.

The Quadfather

I second the Belt vote. A rubber band will work for a while but I would only use this if absolutely necessary. I have a collection of belts from cannibalized players I've collected over the last few years.

Just posting a follow-up to see how this all turned out. I have a local Electronics Supplier that has ever single flat belt made at the current time. He's had In stock, belts for my Technics 858, my Craig PowerPlay and my Pioneer TP-500 FM/8-track combo. If you still need a belt, I can prob'ly help ya out!

Q-Eight said:
Just posting a follow-up to see how this all turned out. I have a local Electronics Supplier that has ever single flat belt made at the current time. He's had In stock, belts for my Technics 858, my Craig PowerPlay and my Pioneer TP-500 FM/8-track combo. If you still need a belt, I can prob'ly help ya out!

Thanks -
I gave up on the Toyo, and it is resigned to the closet. The Miida has a new belt after I cleaned and scraped all the goop off the flywheel and motor that was once the belt. Now it works great! I'll save your link, though, as I'm sure I will need it at soome point.
Marc

A friend of mine got me a Miida player back in the summer. My belt was all gooped too. Man that stuff is gross. It sticks to everything!!

Back