Q8/Q4 - do they really exist?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloop

Do these Titles really exist? Haven't seen them neither as tape nor as dts-Copy

CARAVAN - For Girls Who Grew Plump in the Night (Q4)
JEFFERSON AIRPLANE - Bark (Q8)
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER - Trilogy (Q8)

I've think I've seen the Bark Q8. Not sure of the others.

bloop said:
Do these Titles really exist? Haven't seen them neither as tape nor as dts-Copy

CARAVAN - For Girls Who Grew Plump in the Night (Q4) or Q8.
I dont think anyone came up with this one. When i was at Metropolis Studio in London with DTS(they wanted an encoder), the fellows there said they remembered the mix and it was not very good. They thought it was stored in that old electric generating plant, very cool studio. Still love to hear it.

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE - Bark (Q8) It is around, i have a copy.

EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER - Trilogy (Q8) Someone a few years ago said this was out there, they had it. Why we have not seen it for all to share, i do not know. Perhaps the owner(no idea) does not participate in boards or in obtaining more recordings, just sits and listens to what he already has?

quadtrade said:
...Perhaps the owner(no idea) does not participate in boards or in obtaining more recordings, just sits and listens to what he already has?

What a shame...

I've had the Bark q8 for quite a while now, but have never heard it. When I received it, it was unplayable. It still needs the kind of repair that I'm not good at (it is wound too tight to play). On top of that, it is an RCA cartridge which is next impossible to open up cleanly (#!* rivets!!).

The other two titles seem to be mythical.

Caravan and Airplane titles existed in Schwann catalog and some store shelves.

That ELP - Trilogy quad has the mythological status; cancelled with a number of WEA quad titles in 1975, it supposedly exists according to at least one site of quad listings of those that exist and those announced but were never released...

zabble said:
I've had the Bark q8 for quite a while now, but have never heard it. When I received it, it was unplayable. It still needs the kind of repair that I'm not good at (it is wound too tight to play). On top of that, it is an RCA cartridge which is next impossible to open up cleanly (#!* rivets!!).

The other two titles seem to be mythical.

Use a soldering iron. Heat the rivet and pull the cart apart. To reassemble, reheat the revet and push back together.

It works like a CHAMP!:banana:

JonUrban said:
Use a soldering iron. Heat the rivet and pull the cart apart. To reassemble, reheat the revet and push back together.

It works like a CHAMP!:banana:

I've read that somewhere before but never actually attempted it. I'll have to give it a try.

Of course once the cart is open, the problem will become fixing a too tightly wound tape (I believe I used to know how to fix that problem and seem to remember it being a real pain).

Back