QRX 6001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Its me again, and now I want to know if this Sansui receiver had the vaunted Vario-matrix circuit. I gather from the previous thread that only the QRX x001s had it. This is the lowly 6001. Any one know?
Marc

Hi Marc!

Yes this has the 2nd generation variomatrix boards in it. The 00 models have first generation boards and the 00A models have a hybrid of 1st and 2nd generation boards. The only ones with the 2nd gen. boards are the 5001, 6001, 7001, 8001, 9001, 777, 999 (euro version of the 7001, 9001), QSD-1 (three boards, one each for bass, mid and treble) and QSD-2. The D-1000 has 2nd gen with mos-fets and poly's.

Dave

Well I bought to receiver, adn it works fine in 2 channel mode, but as soon as you switch on the decoder in any mode, qs, sq, surround, hall, whatever, there's a high pitched squeal and distortion. It is on all of the sources when the decoder is on. Is this thing fried?
sadly,
Marc

I would assume the first port of call is to establish if the decoder boards, pre-amplifier or power amplifier stage is the culprit. Does this unit have an 4 channel "AUX" input like the 8001/9001?. If so assumably this bypasses the decoder boards which would allow you to see if it is the rear channel pre/power amp sections which are playing up. I wonder if this model has the double- sided print boards like the 8001/9001? They have hollow pins which connect the two sides of print together where necessary. Over time the solder joints fail and all hell breaks loose. I remember reading that the fix was to remove all old naff solder and push through some copper telephone - type cable through the hollow tube, fold it over the pads on each side of the board, then remake the joint(s) using some quality solder. This fixes it for good. I think it was the pre-amplifier board that had this problem. Easy to spot though as you will see the board(s) will have PCB tracks running on both sides of the board(s). Failing that, it's time to buy/obtain a service manual with schematics- highly recommended. I'm sure the other folks on here will have more fault finding tips- I'm not totally acquanted with the model QRX-6001.

Well, since there's so little to do over the holidays, I am taking a run at fixing this sucker. Anyone have a scan of the service manual/schematics for this receiver? I would really appreciate it. Willing to change the name of any of three kids to your posting name etc. at your choice.
Marc

Back